Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Relay Board Wiring Mess
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
The PO cut the Yellow Wire where it comes from below the relay board up to the pin connector and spliced on a 12" red wire, (#1)and then taped off the end, so it's a dead wire. blink.gif

He then added a red wire from the ignition switch, through the firewall, (#2) and tied it into the yellow wire going into the wire harness moving down towards the starter.

What would I do to make this right?

It's a '73 original 1.7, switched by the PO to a 1.8 with carbs, and I'm switching that to a 2.0 with carbs and want to get the red wire off the ignition switch.

Also, in the other picture, he cut off a Blue wire and taped it off. Where does this go and what does it do and do I need it?

Mike Bellis
Seat belt relay problably went out and he bypassed it. Just reconnect the yellow at the ignition switch, jumper at the seat belt relay and correct the relay board. Done!
Dave_Darling
The yellow wire should go from the ignition switch to the relay board. A 73 won't have the seatbelt interlock relay, so that's not a concern. Anyway, it would go through the relay board, and then to the starter.

The blue wire is very likely the one for the alternator warning light. Chances are the charging system won't work if that is not connected.

--DD
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 25 2011, 09:45 PM) *

The yellow wire should go from the ignition switch to the relay board. A 73 won't have the seatbelt interlock relay, so that's not a concern. Anyway, it would go through the relay board, and then to the starter.

The blue wire is very likely the one for the alternator warning light. Chances are the charging system won't work if that is not connected.

--DD

My 73 has a seatbelt relay, or at least it did... happy11.gif
rwilner
Not sure about your specific problem but I solved lots of DAPO creative wiring issues using Jeff Bowlsby's wiring harness diagrams.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm

Scroll to the bottom section under the "electrical" heading.
rnellums
How is your build coming? chances at making MUSR? Also, I have two complete wiring harnesses from a 73 and a 74 if that would help you. They are just taking up space in my basement.

-Ross
JeffBowlsby
That blue wire is not stock, if it were me I would fix/replace the ignition harness so its back to stock configuration. Not really sure about what the other issues are from the description/photos, need more clarity.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.