Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How the hell do you get the top seals...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
"I've got blisters on my fingers"

OK, so there's got to be an easier way to geth these damn top seals on (side seals). One is on and it was a bitch. I soaked the other one in soapy water and lathered up the track as well. Seemed to have the opposite effect... mad.gif smash.gif

WTF over?

Anybody BTDT. Any advice for Mr. Neanderfu@*?
Trekkor
Just did that.

I tried the soap too, not enough.

I just put one side of the rubber in the track, then CAREFULLY use a slotted screwdriver or even a popsicle stick to push the other lip into the track.

Be patient, it will only take a few minutes per side.
After it's in, force it as far forward as you can using a cloth to grip the seal.

By moving it forward, the top will seat well on the rear surface. You want both diagonal edges to compress together.

KT
andys
Though I'm yet to do this particular replacement, for rubber parts I have always used KY jelly with great results........on rubber parts, that is. Ok, got ahead and jump on this one! bootyshake.gif

Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(andys @ Jul 20 2004, 01:14 PM)
Ok, go ahead and jump on this one!

here's what you need:
- KY jelly
- rubber parts
- a popsicle stick
- a lip
- my fingers
- a bitch
- lather

then:
CAREFULLY, use, push, grip, into, the rear, moving it forward
aircooledboy
Spray silicone and a nylon stick or paddle if you can get one. You can get the nylon sticks from an auto glass shop, and they are pretty handy for lots of jobs like this. They are safer than a screw driver because they are much less likely to tear the seal or slip and scratch your paint, and work better than a wooden stick because you can sharpen them to a thinner edge without losing strength. Spray silicone is dramatically better at lubing up rubber than soapy water.

Use the "one side at a time" method Trekkor describes. Spray the silicone onto the edge you will be pushing into the track with the nylon/plastic stick, and try to keep it only on the edge you will be pushing into the grove or the little bastards get very slippery. A light spray on the metal channel helps too(makes a mess on your paint, but comes off with soapy water). Start the second edge at one end or the other, and then just work down the line from that point to the other end. A little patience and it goes pretty easy. Once you get the feel for it, I can often get the stick at the right angle to slide it from one end to the other, "zipping" one in literally in less than a minute.

Trying to slide it in from one end like I think you did the first one is really a bear, and damn near impossible. headbang.gif
Eric_Shea
While waiting for all you fine Gentleman and perverted Fuchs to reply I found my way through the same method that Mr. Trekkor describes. Much easier than pulling them in. I put the outside lip on first and used a screwdriver to pop the inside. It went in about 1/4" at a time (Andy... 1/4" at a time would give you about 16 good thrusts...) w00t.gif

Sick bastards... laugh.gif wub.gif ya.

Thanks all,
andys
Chris,

If it is truely silicone, I would advise against using it. Slick, for sure, but it will contaminate any surface it comes in contact with, and will attract dirt as you can never really get it all off. If you ever want to repaint, forget it! The advantage with using the KY, is that it's water soluble........besides, imagine reaching for a spray can at the moment........aw forget it!

Andy
Eric_Shea
Forgot to mention:

Sammy Seal is on. Rocks! smilie_pokal.gif

Too much type.gif and not enough smash.gif

Back to the garage...
aircooledboy
QUOTE(andys @ Jul 20 2004, 02:50 PM)
Chris,

If it is truely silicone, I would advise against using it. Slick, for sure, but it will contaminate any surface it comes in contact with, and will attract dirt as you can never really get it all off.

Used it as the only method hundreds of times as a mobile auto glass installer in body shops for 3 years. Never an issue or a problem. Soap and water gets it off almost any surface completely, and enamel reducer will get it off a stuborn surface, including one about to be painted, without fail.
Eric_Shea
"any" surface? wub.gif
watsonrx13
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Must have PICTURES... of the installed seal not the use of KY jelly, etal....
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 20 2004, 03:01 PM)
"any" surface? wub.gif

and who's the "sick bastard" now, huh?

laugh.gif
Jeffs9146
I rub a small amount of liquid soap in the track and on the rubber and moisten my hands with water.

Then I align the rubber into the track at the top and push it down to get it started.

Then I take a pair of vice grips and clamp onto the bottom and push down on the vice grips.

Sides in smoother than snot!! ohmy.gif

Jeff
Trekkor
here.
Make sure the trailing edge is as far foward to allow proper seating of the top.

KT Wills
Eric_Shea
and who's the "sick bastard" now, huh?
confused24.gif

Miles? biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Oh... almost forgot!

Jeff,

You're a Liar, Fabricator, Falsifier, Perjurer, Prevaricator, Storyteller and a Fibber w00t.gif

Slides in smoother than snot... MY ASS! laugh.gif

Don't bogart that joint... smoke.gif
Gint
Prevaricator

I gotta look that up...

prevaricator

\Pre*var"i*ca`tor\, n. [L. praevaricator: cf. F. pr['e]varicateur.] 1. One who prevaricates.

2. (Roman Law) A sham dealer; one who colludes with a defendant in a sham prosecution.

3. One who betrays or abuses a trust. --Prynne.

prevaricator

n : a person who has lied or who lies repeatedly [syn: liar] [ant: square shooter]

pre·var·i·cate
intr.v. pre·var·i·cat·ed, pre·var·i·cat·ing, pre·var·i·cates

To stray from or evade the truth; equivocate. See Synonyms at lie2.

You learn something new every day around here.
Eric_Shea
Glad I could help. Just call me Mr. Pedagogue cool.gif
rhodyguy
go to walgreens, riteaid, longs,.. and get a bottle of this. works great for widow squeegees too.

kevin
Allan
I used that stuff about 25 years ago to stop my 1973 Datsun pick-up radiator from leaking. It works for seals too? ohmy.gif
Eric_Shea
It says external use only. What were you thinking???
markb
Back in the bad old days we called it eggcrate. They sprayed eggs with it to help keep them from cracking during shipping. Put it in a leaky radiator, and when it hits air, it turns to something like glass. I've even used it to keep a leaky waterpump alive for a while. I'd totally forgotten about the stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.