Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Morph Carpet Kit - Perhaps I got a short cut piece?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ptravnic
Finally time to start fitting the carpet post paint job. Problem is, I can't seem to figure out how to properly cover the passenger side. Turns out that the passenger side floor piece is either too short or the passenger side bulkhead piece is goo short. confused24.gif

The bulkhead piece has to be fairly high up in order to get to the steering rack cutout but where that piece flows down to the passenger floor it either leaves a gap in front or in back near the seat cross bar. It ends up exposing about 2" worth of floor board.

The pic does a better job explaining (the gap is larger than it appears in the pic):
Click to view attachment

FWIW - I thought this link was excellent for placement of each piece: Post describing carpet placement

Thanks in advance!
-pt
Valy
What year is your car? The later models have the foot rest behind the carpet so there should be no gap.
The older models have the foot rest (step type) on the carpet.

It looks to me that you have the newer carpet and no footrest under the carpet.
JRust
QUOTE(Valy @ Sep 29 2011, 07:51 PM) *

What year is your car? The later models have the foot rest behind the carpet so there should be no gap.

agree.gif
ptravnic
QUOTE(esses62 @ Sep 29 2011, 09:48 PM) *

Did you ask Morph first WTF.gif

I sent Morph the question but thought I'd ask it here too b/c I know that sometimes James and Heidi get backed up.

QUOTE(Valy @ Sep 29 2011, 09:51 PM) *

This is 1972 chassis and it has the molded Styrofoam piece nestled into the bulkhead area, behind the carpet. If the bulkhead carpet was transparent you would see it.
montoya 73 2.0
My bulkhead piece was a little long so it was covered by the floor piece.
Tom_T
70-71 with the non adjustable pass. seat are longer & had that separate perlon covered footrest with the "leash" - so that requires the long "early" pass. carpet.

72-76 with adjustable pass. seat is a shorter floor piece, cuz the pass foot board extends further back - so that requires the shorter "late" pass. carpet.

So you either have a 70-71 914 with a late carpet, or you used a 70-71 foot board at the pass. footwell in a late 72-76 914.

Ask morph for an exchange to a long "early" pass. carpet piece.
jsayre914
looks like yoor missing the foam wedge that is supposed to be behind the carpet against the firewall.

here is a pic of the wedge (i cut a giant rectangle out of mine)
jsayre914
This is the same kit from the same guy, in a 73
r_towle
I had this also.
You want to get the later foam piece (it changed in 72 mid year) or the early carpet.

I would go for the later foam piece...its a bit larger.
It also does not rust...lol
There are lots of them around.
RIch
mepstein
I have a good one (foam) from a '75. Yours for the cost of shipping. mark
ptravnic
I'm even more confused than ever. I know about the adjustable vs non-adjustable seat thus the early foot rest. Am I now hearing that form fitting foam piece between the carpet and the bulkhead (pictured below) comes in two sizes? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
jsayre914
yup,
cause mine does not look like that one
beerchug.gif
nsr-jamie
I had the same problem like you too, they changed in 72 and you need the longer piece...talk to Morph and he will set you up...all I did was email him and with in a couple of days he mailed me back and told me he was sending out the correct piece. I am sure he will do the same for you. Nice color of carpets by the way.
ptravnic
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Sep 30 2011, 09:26 PM) *

I had the same problem like you too, they changed in 72 and you need the longer piece...talk to Morph and he will set you up...all I did was email him and with in a couple of days he mailed me back and told me he was sending out the correct piece. I am sure he will do the same for you. Nice color of carpets by the way.

Good to know. I emailed him a couple days ago. I've bought a good chunk of stuff from James & Heidi in the past and am overall impressed - kinda why I posted this b/c I thought perhaps I was missing something obvious...

I'll be patient and wait for them to respond to my email.

beerchug.gif

-pt
ptravnic
Closing the loop on this - I spoke with James and he said that sometime in mid 1972 they changed the style of footwell foam. My smaller foam piece is the early version.

He's going to send me the longer (early style) passenger side version. piratenanner.gif

-pt
gopack
Just curious, does anyone have a side by side pic of the early -vs- late foam piece?
r_towle
no pic, but its quite a bit larger.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.