Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine lid hinge bracket
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
I have an engine lid hinge bracket that I need to remove and weld a new one on. If I have the rear window still in the car, how do I hold the bracket in place to weld it? I do have the engine out of the car, should I bolt the engine lid to the existing one and the new one, then have someone hold the engine lid in place while I weld?

If you have any pics I would appreciate them.
SirAndy
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Jul 21 2004, 04:38 PM)
then have someone hold the engine lid in place while I weld?

if you still have the old one you can trace it out before removal, then just hold it in place with one hand and tack it on, then finish the welding.

if the old one is long gone, put the bracket on the lid, hold the lid until it lines up and mark the top and left/right of the bracket, then proceed with the above ^^^ ...

Andy
RustyWa
I removed the rear window to do mine. It took like 5 minutes to remove the window since the butyl tape was only like a year old. Once removed, I used a deep 2" c-clamp to hold the new bracket very tight against the firewall. Tack it in place then remove clamp and attach the lid to check the fit. If it's good, clamp it tight again and finish the welding.
lapuwali
You could also use one of the magnetic "clamps" to hold it on w/o removing the rear window first.
watsonrx13
Thanks guys for the advise. Now, if I can only find that hinge I bought from PP 18 months ago I'll install this weekend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.