Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TACH/SPEED ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
What is the speed for all gears at about 2100 rpm. I dont have a working speedometer and need to know approx mph. I have a stock side shifter I know tire size will change it a little but just need a close number.
john rogers
If you check over at the Pelican site and download my "Gears" program it will let you enter the gear ratio for each gear, the final drive ratio and tire size (dia, circumference or # turns per mile) and a slider shows the speed vs RPM for each gear. Does a print out too and it is handy to let you see what changing things will do. There are several spreadsheets around but they figure the tire size is set. You could borrow a GPS unit as mine is VERY accurate. Good luck
spare time toys
That is good but I am looking to find out about how fast it is going at around 2000 in the gears as that is where the eng. Im looking at runs best. Other wise Ill go another way with this project. Im looking at a TDI powered touring car and that is best mpg/RPM for this eng. in the Jetta. Im getting 54.4 hwy in a boxy VW so I am thinking slant nose 914 should do better. driving.gif and be more fun cool.gif
lapuwali
The speed v RPM data from the calculator will tell you how fast the car goes at 2000 rpm crank speed.

The 914 actually isn't all that aerodynamically clean. I'd bet an A4 Jetta has about the same amount of drag. You'll do better on weight, and skinny 165-15 tires will offer less rolling resistance, but don't expect Honda Insight class numbers.
spare time toys
Fine and dandy....say your car is in fifth gear and your tach is showing 2000 RPM how fast is it going? That is all I need to know I dont need a calculator or charts just info as to what to expect.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.