Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To Buy or Not to Buy?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Spider
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Hi All:

Been looking for a car to drive daily that get some mpgs. Found a nice RX-7 and a 944, then remembered a friend of mine has had a 914 for 20 years, garage kept the whole time. He takes it annually to a mechanic to see if it needs anything. Right now, won't start and they think it needs starter.

It is for sale. He asked me to "make offer". I don't know anything about these cars except for what I read here, so looking for a little help.

1972. Think it's original motor and F.I.. Said to run well, and I believe what they are telling me, but I would be buying it "as is" without hearing it run or driving it. They drove it about a tank of fuel's worth every summer for the last several years.

Obvious Problems:
Surface rust on back truck floor (think I could Por-15 it)
Rust bubbles on body, including under both door handles
The rear trunk hinge mounting tab is broken at the body. (Needs welded?)
Missing rubber pieces over bumpers (are there any decent used ones?)
Missing side marker lights
Repainted. Original color was orange. Repaint is lousy
Top of roof not smooth. (This bad paint or maybe a repro roof?)
Seats re-done in red velour (yuk!)
Needs starter or ?
Car shows 85k miles but ODO has been broken for 20 years.

Basically a 40 year old car that's never been restored.
What do you think it's worth?
These things sure look fun!
Thanks!
Rand
The most important factor is how bad the rust is under the battery tray, down the frame rail toward the firewall, along the rear corner of the floor on passenger side, around the suspension console, etc. You'll hear it called "the hell hole." That one area will determine the car's value more than the other items you listed combined.
malcolm2
The standard roof was not painted. It looks like fiberglass. Rough, pebbly surface and they were flat black. I guess it was the 912 that had a roof that matched the car, but it did not come off.

Clark
Mike Bellis
Rust will be much worse than it looks. $1500
pt_700
while they do get good mpg's, not many would consider them daily drivers. that said, if you're comfortable depending on a 40 year old car for such duties, we bow down before you!

bumper tops can be found at local wrecking yards from time to time and i'm sure there will be some for sale in the classifieds here too. not really urgent, more cosmetic though. those in great condition can be quite expensive.

tops originally had the textured finish. sounds like the one you're looking at was just painted over.

all in all, not a bad sounding car (check for the rust issues rand mentioned). if you're mechanically inclined or can pay somebody to fix all the little things that need attention on an old car, go for it!

if there's not too much rust, see if they'll take a grand? someone else here recently got a decent one for $750! i recall paying $1000 for my '71 1.7 w/ very little rust (ca car) about 15 years ago. if it were running w/ little to no rust, it might be worth $2000-3000 or more.
rnellums
That car could definitely be a DD, but you will need to go through every bit of it to do so. I wouldn't buy it without inspecting it with a magnifying glass for rust. These have been known to rust in half from time to time...
ripper911
QUOTE(pt_700 @ Oct 4 2011, 02:51 PM) *

not many would consider them daily drivers.

Some of us do. poke.gif

I say, go buy a starter and slap it in there, takes about 3 minutes. Watch it run and look over everything, then buy it if it checks out.

Then drive the hell out of it. driving.gif
rjames
What are you looking for in a car? If it's just better MPGs, you could do better than a 914. If you're looking for a super-dependable daily driver then this car probably isn't it. If MPGs and dependability were your only criteria I'd say go get a used honda or toyota.

A 914 can be a daily driver, but I don't know that I would recommend making it one if you've never owned one before. A 38 year old car will require work. That's why this one has been sitting in the garage.

It takes time to work on cars, or money to pay someone else to do it.

And yes, these cars are fun which is why you'll probably buy it. Good luck! smile.gif
Spider
Thanks for all the advice.

I did offer a grand last night, and they were thinking $2k. I have to push the car out to get a better look at rust, but honestly, I am not looking to do a concours resto, but to have a fun driver.

I do work on all my own junk (mostly) and am not afraid of keeping it running. It appears to be pretty simple and easy to work on if I can figure out how to get to the dang engine.

My commute is a no-traffic, ten-minute drive at 75 mph or a back road with even less traffic that takes 15 minutes. The plan was 4 studded tires and lots of drifting. driving.gif

Such a cool car. Still blown away that it is FI, 4-wheel disks, and a five-speed in 1972! Makes my 70 Challenger seem archaic.

tod914
Not to discourage you on the 914, but the RX7 (depending on what year), might be a better choice since it's in nice shape. What's the scoup on that one?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Spider @ Oct 4 2011, 01:34 PM) *
Still blown away that it is FI, 4-wheel disks, and a five-speed in 1972!

Porsche 914: Blowing you away since 1969! biggrin.gif

If you like drifting on dirt, check this out:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1541689

Oh, and welcome.png
Spider
QUOTE(rjames @ Oct 4 2011, 02:32 PM) *

If MPGs and dependability were your only criteria I'd say go get a used honda or toyota.

Nope - My motto is, life is too short to drive boring cars.
Spider
QUOTE(tod914 @ Oct 4 2011, 02:44 PM) *

Not to discourage you on the 914, but the RX7 (depending on what year), might be a better choice since it's in nice shape. What's the scoup on that one?

VERY nice car. '87 with only 50k original for $3k. Still leaning heavily toward that one, but it is 4 hours away.

It looks like Mazda ripped off the 944 design with that generation of RX. That's what got me thinking Porsche in the first place.
Elliot Cannon
If you have some mechanical/welding skills, and aren't afraid to get your hands dirty, buy the 914. Offer $1500 less what it might cost to get it started. The car is a blast to drive and despite what some might say it CAN be made into a reliable daily driver. It just won't be right away. (See first sentence of this post) It might take a bit of work. If you haven't guessed by now RUST is the major issue. When I bought my first 914 I had a welder spend 6 hours cutting out and replacing rusted metal. Try to find someone near you that knows a little about the car and can help you with a pre-purchase inspection. Good luck. If you decide to buy the car there is a huge amount of advice and expertise on this web sight.
Cheers, Elliot
Cairo94507
I would say, with what you have described, if you put a starter in and it runs, $1,500 would be the price. If the starter is not the problem, $1,000. Good luck.
SUNAB914
offer $500.00 for it, you will make your money back either way.
carr914
The OP already offered $1,000 and didn't get the car!

Try $1200 - 1500
jsayre914
My car is also a daily driver 120+ miles each day.

I say GO FOR IT !!!

The car will repay you with great handling, cool friends, and people that just cant help but say " nice car"

driving-girl.gif
PanelBilly
Nice car

Hey I must be one of those people.
PancakePorsche
I daily drive my 1976 to and from work 110 miles a day and average 30 MPG. Still passes California smog. Don't count it out !
Spider
The owner called me tonight. $1500 buys it.
Still trying to decide.

Thanks for all the input. Great forum!
abnrdo
Buy it...better to throw money at the 914 than a therapist!

blink.gif
mtn flyr
If the rust isn't too bad 1500 is fair, where in Idaho are you?
ThinAir
My 73 is my daily driver. 20 miles RT each day in light city traffic. I get 22 mpg in town and 30 mpg when I go on road trips like RRC. Having a daily driver 914 is no big deal.

That said, there is a learning curve and it sort of takes awhile to "become one" with your teener. There is a lot of just listening to it as you drive and then searching here for threads on what you are experiencing.

A new hi-torque stater from eBay will cost you about $125. Since it has been stored for so long you'll certainly need new hoses. AA sells complete hose kits that make it easy to change all the vacuum hoses and they also sell injector elbow shaped fuel hoses which I like (save your ammunition guys - I know about AA and these are the only things I buy from them because they are the only ones that carry them.)

If the car was running when it was parked, the the starter and hoses are probably all you'll need to do to put it on the road.

Rust is another matter and the previous advice on that is all quite sound. The bodies are not galvanized so even though they are a hoot to drive in the snow, you might want to rethink the 4 studded tires idea. Now that they put magnesium chloride on the roads here in Northern Arizona mine stays home whenever it's snowy.
Spoke
Don't buy it until you take someone from this board with you to inspect the car. Offer someone a steak dinner and beers and you should get a volunteer.

What you don't see under the car could jeopardize your investment.

For $1200-1500, you should be able to drive it away.

If it doesn't start, no more than $500.
sawtooth
If you are near boise I'd gladly take a look at it with you. Like spoke said, it can help to have a second pair of eyes knowing where to look for the problem areas.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.