Full Version: SSI heat exchanger warning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
euro911
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 5 2013, 06:04 AM) *
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 4 2013, 10:29 PM) *

I'm back to thinking about electric heaters for the air-cooled cars idea.gif
Good luck with that! bye1.gif

Electric heaters for VW bugs, etc. have been around since the 60's, they never work worth a shit.
Too much of a draw on the alternator.
Yeah, the 25A or 30A generators on the 356s and 912s barely support the car's needs. The 55A on the 914 isn't much of a powerhouse either.

One would need to install one of those high-amperage alternators (like Pete (pnewman) sells) to be effective.

I don't know how much current the seat heaters draw confused24.gif
GaroldShaffer
icon_bump.gif

Just wanted to give this thread a bump since the weather has gotten cooler here in Indiana. Thanks again Brad for great info. beerchug.gif
JmuRiz
All I wish is that SSI (the new one) would make some 914/6 heat exchangers....
mepstein
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Oct 23 2013, 09:49 AM) *

All I wish is that SSI (the new one) would make some 914/6 heat exchangers....

There are no oem ones being made but there are a couple different types made in Europe that look promising
mr914
There is ferrous and non-ferrous stainless.

Best way, IMO, is to plug,tape, seal the end and apply pressure, Even with a hair dryer to see if it is leaking.

Plug the end, use the hair dryer (I have a heat gun that i use in cool mode) and see if you have air coming out of the edges of a heat exchanger. Good excuse to fire up a cigar when it is not golf season....
GaroldShaffer
icon_bump.gif

Since the weather is starting to cool off I thought I would give this tread a bump. I am getting ready for my last swap meet of the season in Cincy this weekend and going through some SSI exchangers. One out of 5 that I have leaks. I just do a simple water test. I plug the muffler end and fill the tubes with water and let them sit for 30min. doesn't take long for water to find a pin hole or crack and start to seep out. The exchanger I have that is leaking water looks great, no dents, but one of the tabs has been repaired.

Be careful when buying SSI exchangers ask the seller to do a simple water test to verify they don't leak. I will also to Brad's air pressure test on the ones that pass my water test just to make 100% sure they are fine.
KaptKaos
Just saw this, and it may explain the leak that I can't seem to find. However, I am not running stainless, but stock exhaust. I don't run heat, so that's not an issue, but the backfire is.

Does this problem happen with the stock steel exhausts too? I assume it would, but this thread seems to focus only on the stainless.

TIA
buck toenges
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Sep 24 2014, 08:07 AM) *

icon_bump.gif

Since the weather is starting to cool off I thought I would give this tread a bump. I am getting ready for my last swap meet of the season in Cincy this weekend and going through some SSI exchangers. One out of 5 that I have leaks. I just do a simple water test. I plug the muffler end and fill the tubes with water and let them sit for 30min. doesn't take long for water to find a pin hole or crack and start to seep out. The exchanger I have that is leaking water looks great, no dents, but one of the tabs has been repaired.

Be careful when buying SSI exchangers ask the seller to do a simple water test to verify they don't leak. I will also to Brad's air pressure test on the ones that pass my water test just to make 100% sure they are fine.

Can you do this with the hes are on the car? If not what is the best way with the heat exchangers on the car?
GeorgeRud
If the exchangers are on the car, a simple battery powered CO detector is probably the best you can do. Even on units that test out good, isn't it cheap insurance to have one in the car?
barefoot
QUOTE(914ltd @ Oct 6 2011, 08:34 AM) *

I posted this last year, heating season is here again. These are big cracks, a tiny one you would not be able to hear would still be dangerous. These are not accident damaged. If you have a set on your car, grab the carbon monoxide detector from home and take a ride with the heat on and windows rolled up. There is a detector used in small aircraft also available. The last photo is how we now test for leaks using air pressure. Brad

I dd similar PT to the SSI's i bought from Gerald, Plugged the round outlet ends & Filled the pipes with water as full as they would go with parts tilted about 45 degrees and left for 24 hrs, no change in water level.
euro911
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Sep 24 2014, 09:41 AM) *

Just saw this, and it may explain the leak that I can't seem to find. However, I am not running stainless, but stock exhaust. I don't run heat, so that's not an issue, but the backfire is.

Does this problem happen with the stock steel exhausts too? I assume it would, but this thread seems to focus only on the stainless.

TIA
It's not an impossible issue with stock mild steel pipes, but SS is more susceptible to becoming brittle with the heat cycles.
EdwardBlume
Yikes! Forget heat then... unsure.gif
Phoenix914
Here is a link to another battery operated CO detector. The one previously linked is discontinued from Home Depot.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Y6V5CI/?tag=g..._sl_s7wc0ilmw_e

Now I'm paranoid about my SS HEs. This isn't something I had thought about previously. Thanks for this thread!
Spoke
???
ThePaintedMan
That looks just like a set I bought off of Ebay... back when I didn't know any better. In theory that could be fixed. But in practice, it's not worth it... and probably dangerous.
GaroldShaffer
Yep, had a perfect looking set of 2.0l exchangers took them off the parts car I could turn the end 180 degrees. dry.gif
nathansnathan
Whenever I bolt the heat exchangers to a motor, I check to see if they hold air by putting each cylinder to tdc and blowing into the muffler end of each port. I use a rubber stopper with an aluminum tube through it - something I made, looks like this, kind of.
IPB Image

This is also a good test to see if the exhaust is sealing at the head, which can be a problem, and can be done with the boxes on the car, just gotta take off the muffler.
Johny Blackstain
Anyone have a clue as to who made them for "AA" back in 1979? Those are the ones I have & they seem to be just fine after 6k miles.
Dave_Darling
I'm pretty sure that SSI made all of the 914 four-cylinder ones.

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 25 2015, 05:19 PM) *

agree.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 25 2015, 08:19 PM) *

--DD

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 25 2015, 09:06 PM) *

agree.gif

Has the quality of the materials or craftsmanship on the stainless exchangers gone down over the years?
The factory exchangers rusted out after 4 years & nearly killed my Pop from CO poisoning, which is why he bought the stainless ones back in 79.
Katmanken
Don't think so. A metalurgist for GE aircraft engines always warned me that my 914 SSI exchanger pipes would rust. He said it was due to the type of stainless tubing used.

He advised using a magnet on the tubing and the air shrouds. One was magnetic and the other was not, This was a guy used to casting turbine blades as a singe crystal and with air passages within. Never run my SSI's so still shiney.
porschetub
QUOTE(914ltd @ Oct 7 2011, 12:34 AM) *

I posted this last year, heating season is here again. These are big cracks, a tiny one you would not be able to hear would still be dangerous. These are not accident damaged. If you have a set on your car, grab the carbon monoxide detector from home and take a ride with the heat on and windows rolled up. There is a detector used in small aircraft also available. The last photo is how we now test for leaks using air pressure. Brad

The engineering term is "work hardening" the problem exists from constant heat cycling till the SS fractures,you will notice the cracks are @ the start of the bends or in the middle of 2,the tube is under more stress in these areas.
The larger outside radius is always the thinnest part of the tube.
My experiences with this problem have indicated poor quality SS or the incorrect grade used ,old age also plays a part.
To add to the problem closing the pipes in speeds up this issue that's why you don't see cracks outside the heatexchangers,many aftermarket SS systems come with a warning not to use exhaust wrap for that reason,SS pipe get very hot.

EdwardBlume
Tangerine or headers.Not the end of the world.
bretth
So are you saying that if it is not magnetic it is less likely to fracture? I used to work GRC years ago not with metals though. I believe 304 and up are non ferris.

Brett

QUOTE(Katmanken @ Sep 25 2015, 11:36 PM) *

Don't think so. A metalurgist for GE aircraft engines always warned me that my 914 SSI exchanger pipes would rust. He said it was due to the type of stainless tubing used.

He advised using a magnet on the tubing and the air shrouds. One was magnetic and the other was not, This was a guy used to casting turbine blades as a singe crystal and with air passages within. Never run my SSI's so still shiney.

barefoot
I just checked my 1.7/1.8 SSI's and neither the tubes or the shields are magnetic which means the are 300 series SS, probably 304 one of the least expensive grades and should be good good choices. The 300 series are called 18-8 grades which is 18% Ni and 8% Chrome with most of the balance Iron.
The magnetic grades are 400 series and are just 12% Chrome balance mostly Iron. These grades can be hardened by heat treat so that's what hunting knives are made from.
BTW I pressure tested mine are are OK.
Barefoot
914ltd

Hey 'teeners, It's time to bring this up again. There is a lot of good information on this thread about the SSI's. Also keep in mind that CO can impair your judgment.
What might have been the root cause of a 914 accident?
Don't dismiss how dangerous this can be! Brad
GaroldShaffer
Little late in bumping this thread. Never to late to check those SSI exchangers you have waiting to install.
914ltd
QUOTE(GaroldShaffer @ Jan 29 2019, 08:58 PM) *

Little late in bumping this thread. Never to late to check those SSI exchangers you have waiting to install.

Thank you Garold. This IS an important thread for 914 owners. Garold or I or someone else should post this, at least, every heating season. Don't avoid using SSI's but be sure to check for CO if you do. Brad Mayeur
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Right Dave, John Danials at Stainless Systems made all of the 914 heat exchangers back then, before he sold the operation to Dansk just a few years ago

--DD

mb911
This rule is for any and all heat exchangers.. Keep in mind that is the same procedure they do on all small aircraft to ensure everyone is safe..
Dave_Darling
We have just seen an SSI on the Facebook group that had one of the two header pipes completely detach. This was obviously something that failed all the way around, and would have been leaking a massive amount up to that point.

SSIs are good, but very much not immune to problems!!

--DD
mb911
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 30 2019, 09:44 AM) *

We have just seen an SSI on the Facebook group that had one of the two header pipes completely detach. This was obviously something that failed all the way around, and would have been leaking a massive amount up to that point.

SSIs are good, but very much not immune to problems!!

--DD

Nothing is..
GeorgeRud
You can get a battery powered CO detector for $20 at Walmart or Amazon, so why not carry one in the car to be safe. Folks keep forgetting that even the best parts do eventually get old and brittle.
worn
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 30 2019, 03:51 PM) *

You can get a battery powered CO detector for $20 at Walmart or Amazon, so why not carry one in the car to be safe. Folks keep forgetting that even the best parts do eventually get old and brittle.

I have one in the car.
StratPlayer
Who is making SS exchangers?
mb911
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Jan 30 2019, 06:01 PM) *

For a 4cyl no idea. For six's lots of us.
euro911
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 30 2019, 03:51 PM) *
Hmmm ... good idea idea.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 30 2019, 09:37 PM) *

QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Jan 30 2019, 06:01 PM) *

For a 4cyl no idea. For six's lots of us.

I think Dansk is , they are on E-bay and AA carries them as well, George can chime in, he would know manufacturer. Also several sources for SS mufflers from European makers that now are selling on ebay as well.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 30 2019, 06:51 PM) *

Aircraft Spruce you can buy little button CO detector for around $5, good for 12 months once opened. Stick it right beside the tach.
euro911
Those are cool ... I'll have to get a couple of them
914ltd
I wanted to post this again. I was just reminded with another cracked stainless heat last week. Brad
rbzymek
Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered a $20 battery CO detector from Home Depot. I prefer an alarm to the card type so I do not have to check it. Also it will last longer than 12 months.
horizontally-opposed
Yikes.

This thread is a good reminder to find other solutions for a bit of heat (heated seats, "hair dryers" for a defroster, gas heater, etc) for the interior and/or an electric A/C system with heat. Cost of heat exchangers vs keeping headers—particularly on a six—is a decent head start down these roads.
euro911
Yep. I have a pair of 914 Rubber's seat heaters destined for the '71 914's reupholstery job ... thinking about picking up another pair for my '66 912 too idea.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 15 2020, 07:28 PM) *

Yikes.

This thread is a good reminder to find other solutions for a bit of heat (heated seats, "hair dryers" for a defroster, gas heater, etc) for the interior and/or an electric A/C system with heat. Cost of heat exchangers vs keeping headers—particularly on a six—is a decent head start down these roads.

I disagree. Especially in places where it gets cold. Heat exchangers work great and the cars were built with them in mind. Every winter there are threads seeking alternatives that never pan out. If you plan on enjoying your car for the next 5, 10 +++ years, heat exchangers are worth the investment.

Even my stock 1.7 car without an electric fan in the engine compartment, was a joy to drive on a 20 degree winter day. Driving with the top off on a cool fall day while the heat rolls through the cabin is heaven.
mb911
Ask Michael about heat in his car or Steve or any of the southern Cali folks that have real heat exchangers they make the difference in the car for sure. We are actually working on a simpler hopefully cheaper heat exchanger for the -6 cars to basically mirror the driver side heat exchanger to the passenger side to save costs and bring the price down but retain fantastic heat and introduce a better merge collector at the same time.
horizontally-opposed
I don't at all disagree that heat exchangers are effective—I enjoyed a set of SSIs on my Type IV for 20 years, and if anything they made too much heat. So I can see where they're heavenly in colder climes.

However, those pics of SSIs (which were exceptional quality...) do make me wonder about alternatives. I don't need much in the way of heat in my 914. I usually turned the heat down on cold days, and can see where heated seats and defrost would beenough. And...A/C is more and more appealing to me. I understand electric A/C systems for Emory's 356s are pretty good these days. Makes me wonder about such a system for a 914—because where I live, and for how I use my 914, a lack of A/C is the #1 thing that keeps me from taking the car on certain drives.

I've been driving my 914 with plain headers for several years now, and the times I was bummed it didn't have heat can be counted on one hand, maybe two—but I'd still like to add heat at some point.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 16 2020, 07:07 AM) *

We are actually working on a simpler hopefully cheaper heat exchanger for the -6 cars to basically mirror the driver side heat exchanger to the passenger side to save costs and bring the price down but retain fantastic heat and introduce a better merge collector at the same time.

Still interested in this—and a cursory review of electric A/C (apparently without heat…) suggests old-school A/C is still far better.

Have also considered one heater box and one header for my 914 given my use and limited need for heat.

One thing I don't love about HEs is what Brad brought up in the first place: There's really no way to check the condition of the pipes unless you take the clamshells off...which is tough to do when they're welded on.
914ltd
The header pipes can be filled with water to check but that might not find the smallest cracks. Brad
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.