Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mystery motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rs182
I am parting out my slant nose 914 but ran across this 72 on CL went to see it. Motor runs but the owner is not sure what size it is. He bought it for a project and never got time. Some body just bolted a carb on to what looks like the stock FI manifold. The injectors are still there (just not hooked up obviously) There is no serial number on the top of the motor and the dip stick is on the front like a type 1.

What do you guys think? He thinks its a 1.8 but the dip stick is throwing me off. Could it be a type 1 with type 4 cooling system?? I am new to 914s and my current 1.8 and some internet scouring is all the info I have on these motors

Car is kinda ruff (crappy color change and a few dents) interior is pretty stripped but only minor rust on the passenger side jack area clean hell hole. He wants 1200 with a tail shift that jumps out of gear

thanks
Jason
Mike Bellis
Could be a T1 engine with T3 tin?

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Cap'n Krusty
It might be to your advantage to show us some pictures. That we can viciously pick it apart for no apparent reason other than sheer perversity. BTW, the dipstick location could be for either a bus or a T4. '72 busses had the SN on the shroud.

The Cap'n
avidfanjpl
If there is no serial number to see, then it is probably either sanded off, or it is a true spare Type IV case with no number.

Did not know they existed til today when Bruce Stone came to visit and told me he has a numberless replacement case.

Or it was burned off.

There are ways to tell what the case is, and part of it is, are the plugs truly vertical or do they go into the block on an angle?

Straight down is 1.7 or 1.8.

2.0L is at a 45 degree angle or thereabouts.

Very easy to see.

John
rs182
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 6 2011, 09:11 PM) *

Could be a T1 engine with T3 tin?

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

I need to go look at my square back to remember what type 3 tin looks like now lol

do any type 4's have the front mounted dip stick?
rs182
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 6 2011, 09:13 PM) *

It might be to your advantage to show us some pictures. That we can viciously pick it apart for no apparent reason other than sheer perversity. BTW, the dipstick location could be for either a bus or a T4. '72 busses had the SN on the shroud.

The Cap'n

I know I should have taken pics. I had decided not to by the car (he wanted 1500) He called me back and said 1200 takes it. Good to know about the dip stick location on type 4 and buses. I thought they were all on the top

QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Oct 6 2011, 09:15 PM) *

If there is no serial number to see, then it is probably either sanded off, or it is a true spare Type IV case with no number.

Did not know they existed til today when Bruce Stone came to visit and told me he has a numberless replacement case.

Or it was burned off.

There are ways to tell what the case is, and part of it is, are the plugs truly vertical or do they go into the block on an angle?

Straight down is 1.7 or 1.8.

2.0L is at a 45 degree angle or thereabouts.

Very easy to see.

John

I am going back on sat. to look at it again. Ill keep the plug angle in mind. Im taking my compression tester as well so Ill get a good look.

Sounds like it may not be a 914 motor huh maybe a van.
Does it really matter power wise? Its getting the dual webers of my current 1.8 wither way (as long as its a type 4 motor and not a type 3 or something crazy)

There is no thermostat control rod or thermostat for that matter either.......made me kinda nervous
Dave_Darling
It probably matters for power. And you don't want the dipstick sticking out the front of the motor, because you'll have to cut a hole in the firewall to check your oil!

--DD
rs182
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 6 2011, 10:29 PM) *

It probably matters for power. And you don't want the dipstick sticking out the front of the motor, because you'll have to cut a hole in the firewall to check your oil!

--DD

you can still check the oil. The stick pulls up its just on the front. Awkward to get to.

I think I am going to pass on the car anyway. Just cut my losses for now and part out the slat nose
rick 918-S
QUOTE(rs182 @ Oct 7 2011, 10:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 6 2011, 10:29 PM) *

--DD

you can still check the oil. The stick pulls up its just on the front. Awkward to get to.

I think I am going to pass on the car anyway. Just cut my losses for now and part out the slat nose

Be sure to add the vin to our data base.
rs182

will do. Some body can come get it if they want a project (a big one!) its cheap lol
70_914
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Oct 6 2011, 10:15 PM) *

John

I have a numberless replacement case... 1.8 914 block. Got it with my 1970 junkyard car, going into my 1975 car.
Cap'n Krusty
As I believe I mentioned earlier, 72 bus engines had the engine ID number on the fan shroud, not the case. Shrouds and cases are often mismatched later in life ................

The Cap'n
brp986s
I bought a new un #'d case maybe 15 yrs ago fron Bieker Eng'g. He might have more even now. I got it for $450 iirc. I had to grind down various casting seams. It was stamped in blue ink with a 923 part #. It had such improvements as unimproved galley plugs that soon popped out. There was something different about the oil pressure safety circuit, but I don't recall now. I sold the complete motor to the GPR guy, who sold it to ?.
JFJ914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 7 2011, 03:47 PM) *

As I believe I mentioned earlier, 72 bus engines had the engine ID number on the fan shroud, not the case. Shrouds and cases are often mismatched later in life ................

The Cap'n

Same for the '76 912E engines.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.