Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 whippersnappers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
montoya 73 2.0
Looks like the majority of owners are a bunch of old farts! I'm at the start of the old fart hill.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Oct 13 2011, 01:20 PM) *

I have a bunch of heater parts and plumbing that I will never use in Florida.

Figure out what parts you are missing and you can have mine.

John

Hey John! Thanks for the offer! Pretty cool to meet another Floridian on here, finally. Well, I need just about everything. I picked up a pair of SSI's that need work (so does my welding, which is convenient) but other than that, I have literally nothing left on the car. No J tubes, vents, blowers, cables... nothing. I have a pretty good idea of what all is involved, but just haven 't been able to track anything down for a reasonable price till you mentioned it! Would you rather ship stuff like that, or would a trip down I-4 be in order for me? I'm always interested in seeing other peoples cars anyways!

Thanks again,
George
clow
I fall into the youngin' group. Bought my first roller last summer when I was 17. Restored it and had it on the road for this summer. Now I am onto my second one. Its a crazy addiction w00t2.gif Check out my signature for links. I am away from home locked up in a small 10'x10' dorm room at school and miss everyday I can't work on the teener sad.gif I now have to wait till next summer.

Parker
rnellums
QUOTE(clow @ Nov 4 2011, 10:42 PM) *

I fall into the youngin' group. Bought my first roller last summer when I was 17. Restored it and had it on the road for this summer. Now I am onto my second one. Its a crazy addiction w00t2.gif Check out my signature for links. I am away from home locked up in a small 10'x10' dorm room at school and miss everyday I can't work on the teener sad.gif I now have to wait till next summer.

Parker

Where are you doing your ME degree? I just finished up my bachelors and am at Purdue for grad school. Any chance you'll get to have one of your projects out with you at school next year? I remember being frustrated to have my car 400 miles away when I was a freshman. I looked over your project threads, it looks to me like you are pretty sparse on the interior bits for the V-8 project(although as a racer you may not need much). When you get back home do a check on parts you might need, I'll see what I can round up for ya.
rnellums

Parker

Where are you doing your ME degree? I just finished up my bachelors and am at Purdue for grad school. Any chance you'll get to have one of your projects out with you at school next year? I remember being frustrated to have my car 400 miles away when I was a freshman. I looked over your project threads, it looks to me like you are pretty sparse on the interior bits for the V-8 project(although as a racer you may not need much). When you get back home do a check on parts you might need, I'll see what I can round up for ya.
clow
QUOTE(rnellums @ Nov 6 2011, 05:16 PM) *

I am at the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT). Its just outside of Toronto. I wish I could have my project here but to transport it, store it and have tools it wouldn't be worth it. I am slowly collecting parts. I figure it will be a 4 year project due to funding and school. And thank you, I appreciate that!

Parker
tavoman27
I emotionally bought my uncle's 76 914 at the age of 14, I physicality paid for it in 2008 at the age of 33, worked on the 914 for a year until all the bugs left the car from a 12 year storage period, now I'm 36 and decided to restore the car and modify it to my own taste by following Porsche's philosophy by enhancing performance, loosing weight, fine tuning the suspension and maximizing engine performance without loosing the original induction system. Today the car is fully painted (India red), an all new rubber package for the entire car came in this week, engine is all apart... case, barrels, pistons. rods and crank are at machine shop, heads got re done, new solid fuel lines, new custom fuel rails and injectors, custom cold air intake, the engine will be a 2270cc with the original 1976 2.0L injection system, 73 2.0L SS headers, all the metal got powder coated, fan housing, fan, and intake runners also got powder coated, light weight interior carpet is waiting for installation, rennline pedal kit with aluminum back board, foot rest and race mat are also awaiting for installation, the Carrera front end is getting new rubber bushings, new adjustable konis all around, Light weight fuchs 15x7 are getting restore to like new condition, new cobra race seats, dash is being recovered in black leather with red French stitching to match the color of the car, GT engine lid, new carbon fiber Hood and Trunk, fiber glass GT style front bumper/ valence with oil cooler cut out and rear fiber glass bumper, gas shocks to replace springs on the hood and trunk, NO FLARES, transmission is getting re done with new MSX gearing.
I consider this a true RS build like Porsche has been doing on their cars lately like their GT3 RS, Cayman R and the GT2 RS... they all got better suspension, more power and lost a lot a of weight via carbon fiber.
By the way I'm a father of 3, have a wife and run my own business, but LOVE and PASSION can not be explained nor they have a price tag...
Elliot Cannon
Good luck on your emissions test.
Madswede
If this thread gets any older, a lot of us are going to have to change our age brackets.

Just sayin' bootyshake.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Madswede @ Jan 17 2012, 02:19 AM) *

If this thread gets any older, a lot of us are going to have to change our age brackets.

Just sayin' bootyshake.gif

WTF.gif

yep, in fact i will have to change mine in 2 weeks hissyfit.gif
rnellums
Should I switch the poll to under the hill or over it? poke.gif
EdwardBlume
Some people are climbing the hill, at the top of the hill, and over the hill....

We're no where near the hill because our cars are on jack stands.
strawman
Sweet, a poll for which I'm actually in the majority (for another month)! beer.gif
Type 47
Hey oldies are goodies right?

Actually I'm fairly new to the site so I didn't see this thread back in the day (what October 2011?).

I'm finding out that, besides getting back into how special the 914 has been over the years...I'm remembering a lot of things I did with my 914's over the years and especially "back in the day".

I bought my 1st 914 a month before my 21st B-day. that was over 34 years ago. I remember getting married when I was 23 and still my daily driver was a 914 (my second) I had 2 kids by the time I was 25 and I could have used some cheap parts back then.

I remember driving for 2 years w/o heat and laying on my back, changing a clutch, w/the transaxle laying on me, in my car port in the dead of the midwest winter. Yeah I was big time then; my moble home had an awning over the car port. 20-25 year olds need stuff too!
euro911
Bought my first 914 from a friend in 1973 for $1500. I was 18 at the time. My friend's dad owned a Mobil service station down the street from our house, so I got to see the car getting put together.

It was a '71 with a freshly built-up injected 1.8L, paint was metallic gold with matching sails and targa top, and Dan Gurney wheels. It looked pretty sharp and hauled ass.

The problem was that my folks told me I could only have one vehicle, and I needed to buy a pick up truck or a van to haul my dirt bikes around - so that was that. Owned the car less than a month dry.gif

I've owned several P cars over the years, but didn't get another 914 (a '75) until late 2006 (a Christmas gift from my wife). I reciprocated by buying her a '71 for her birthday in 2007 driving-girl.gif

Now, at 58 years of age, just finishing up the '75 ... then we'll be starting in on a minor restoration on my wife's car ... refreshed drive train, suspension, paint and interior.

I bummed that neither one of my nephews have any interest in automotive mechanics dry.gif ... guess I won't be leaving any P cars to them when I croak confused24.gif
rnellums
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 20 2012, 01:07 AM) *

Bought my first 914 from a friend in 1973 for $1500. I was 18 at the time. My friend's dad owned a Mobil service station down the street from our house, so I got to see the car getting put together.

It was a '71 with a freshly built-up injected 1.8L, paint was metallic gold with matching sails and targa top, and Dan Gurney wheels. It looked pretty sharp and hauled ass.

The problem was that my folks told me I could only have one vehicle, and I needed to buy a pick up truck or a van to haul my dirt bikes around - so that was that. Owned the car less than a month dry.gif

I've owned several P cars over the years, but didn't get another 914 (a '75) until late 2006 (a Christmas gift from my wife). I reciprocated by buying her a '71 for her birthday in 2007 driving-girl.gif

Now, at 58 years of age, just finishing up the '75 ... then we'll be starting in on a minor restoration on my wife's car ... refreshed drive train, suspension, paint and interior.

I bummed that neither one of my nephews have any interest in automotive mechanics dry.gif ... guess I won't be leaving any P cars to them when I croak confused24.gif

if you are gonna be giving away Pcars, I'll sign up to be an adopted nephew...
euro911
Sure thing. Eligibility requirements include wrenching here a minimum of two weekends every month laugh.gif
djm914-6
Anyone else the same age as their car? I was born in March 1970 while my car was made in April.
914Sixer
I'll be 64 this year BUT I got my 1st rides in a 356's in the late 50's and early 60's in Germany. I was not until 1970 I bought a 67 911S when I got to Germany with my own green uniform. In 73 I traded it for a new 73 911T Targa. It wasn't until 84 when I got back to Porsche when I got a 73 2.0. I have been playing ever since. I can say that I have owned 3 914-6's during my tenure.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Jan 23 2012, 09:42 PM) *

Anyone else the same age as their car? I was born in March 1970 while my car was made in April.

Older than the first 914, ('66) so I look at my "antique car "I and feel older, than I think I should be
struckn
In '72 I dated a girl who had a then new yellow 914.......I thought she was smoking Hot especially when the top was removed.

w00t.gif
Black914_4
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Jan 24 2012, 12:42 AM) *

We are both 1974. I'm in Nov and I think my car is oct.
76-914

Now that's a good woman, Mark. wub.gif
beerchug.gif
worn
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 17 2012, 06:59 AM) *

Should I switch the poll to under the hill or over it? poke.gif

Hill what hill?! I never saw a hill! But I did want the car when it was new when I was in high school. So common...
'73-914kid
Does anyone share their birthday with their car's build date? Or am I the only one? biggrin.gif
euro911
Here's some cars that were all the rage the year I was born

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

... and these were quite popular when Elliot Cannon & SLITS were toddlers

Click to view attachment

lol-2.gif

poke.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I am I the UPPER 1.20 0/0 of this group. I also knew I was" SPECIAL" . As a result

I may take on the title of " The Grand Poo Baa " in further postin you shall show

respect and admiration. At live events you will Bow and address me as " The WISE

ONE " AND WALK 6 PACES BEHIND.

" As it is said so shall it be written "

Dave pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif
worn
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Jun 8 2012, 04:36 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

I am I the UPPER 1.20 0/0 of this group. I also knew I was" SPECIAL" . As a result

I may take on the title of " The Grand Poo Baa " in further postin you shall show

respect and admiration. At live events you will Bow and address me as " The WISE

ONE " AND WALK 6 PACES BEHIND.

" As it is said so shall it be written "

Dave pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

No one remembers who Yul Brenner was. Ask around. You may be a little out of date. For example, I sometimes mention Raquel Welch to a group of students - blank stare.
smj
QUOTE(struckn @ May 31 2012, 11:54 AM) *

In '72 I dated a girl who had a then new yellow 914.......I thought she was smoking Hot especially when the top was removed.

I assume the girlfriend was attractive too? lol-2.gif

(Couldn't keep waiting for somebody else to do it...)
Maltese Falcon
I bought mine new at downtown L.A. Porsche/Audi at age 23.
My son bought his at age 16 and joined the POC on his Dmv learners permit.
We just bought our third 914, and it's being built into another POC racer.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(smj @ Jun 8 2012, 01:32 PM) *

QUOTE(struckn @ May 31 2012, 11:54 AM) *

I assume the girlfriend was attractive too? lol-2.gif

(Couldn't keep waiting for somebody else to do it...)

I miss those days!!!
sixnotfour
my 17 yr old, his car ?? and it has carbs , something I told it had to have. biggrin.gif His Mom telling him How ti drive..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.