Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tdc with no viewing ports?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
wingnut86
Randy,

You should volunteer to do the next valve adjustment clinic in New England. And, everyone should be required to do their's with 3 hours of sleep, 4 gallons of coffee, no tools, 3 different parking lots, a bag of piston rings, 2 turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree.

P.S. Burn my cell number;--)

Great work Newbie!

Dave Brooker
Radmacdaddy
Wouldn't you know... I'm driving in OK and hit a small deer! Put a big dent in the from right and tore out the turn signal light sad.gif

My son & I went to find the poor animal so I could put it down but it was nowhere to be seen.

After all the effort, I no longer have a straight body. Sigh. C'est la vie. Just grateful to be alive and having gone 420 miles in one day having started at 11:30 am. Will start earlier tomorrow. Oh... And I went from a top mpg before the last couple days work of 13, to 17.5 today! Yeeeeessss!
messix
You have got to put this all in to a jornal . or write an article story of this to submit, just a classic!
r_towle
Randy made it to somewhere between Memphis and Nashville and it sounds like he lost a rod and blew a hole in the case.

He is done driving.
I am sure he could use some help if anyone has a trailer and some time to go fetch him.
He will be shipping the husk home now and catching a flight.

Rich
wingnut86
Randy,

You can have the GC 2.0 case I currently have on the stand for just the shipping. Short block though, crank, rods and distributor. I don't know condition of the bottom end as I haven't split the case yet. Shipping is probably around $80 give or take $15.

I'm with my wife today for some personal business or I'd call.

Anyone in Crockettville who can give Randy some leads? PM him...

Dave
Radmacdaddy
As rich mentioned, the case is blown, I have about a 3" hole in the top of it... see the shrapnel that came out below.

I am in need of any advise in shipping this van to VT. Does anyone recommend anything?

Thanks for all your support everyone.

Randy
Radmacdaddy
crank case damage:
IPB Image
wingnut86
Don't toss the case Randy. They aren't building anymore of these biggrin.gif

Believe it or not, I have seen some great aluminum welding (tig) fixes on blocks that had more damage than yours. The trick is to have 1) a great machinist local who knows his or her stuff on machine dye verification for extended spider cracks. 2) an experienced aluminum block welder - Note - not a guy who likes to make jigs, artwork and builds custom car and truck trailers.

The welder has to know metallurgy and the heating and cooling cycles of different types of aluminum and its repair.

Let me know if you need mine and I'll work up a shipping price this weekend.

Dave
Radmacdaddy
Thanks Dave, a shipping price would be great.

I'm also looking at that full engine in delaware, & another here in the classifieds in illinios... I'll keep you posted.
wingnut86
Good luck Rad man. I'LL have pricing by Monday...
Radmacdaddy
Can someone look at this case and tell me what engine type it is... the guy is selling for his dad and doesn't know. It's right in the next town from me.

http://burlington.craigslist.org/pts/2600269541.html
messix
the plenum looks like a 1.8 l-jet, i think it has the 914 oil fill and dip stick.
BigDBass
This thread is something else..
popcorn[1].gif
Best of luck and huge props on this adventure. pray.gif
wingnut86
Randy,

See if the seller can check 2 points on the block for you, small bit of cleaning with a paper towel wet with Dawn or similar dish soap and water would help - damp, not dripping wet.

#1 - main location for model# of block, located in front of the case breather/port on the flat surface that resides between the fan housing and the case

#2 - secondary location on some blocks. Diagonal flat metal area just behind the transmission mounting flange

*if neither location has a number located/stamped on them then it is probably a factory replacement case used to replace a bad case. The factory released these specifically as replacements and the dealer or service owner was supposed to stamp the block with a designated number prior to the install/replacement (many didn't do this).

This is the "EASY" way of determining what he has beer3.gif

Click to view attachment

Dave_Darling
I don't see the 914 dipstick tube. Not sure if it's just the pic, though.

If it really is a Bus motor (it's offered with other Bus parts, it seems) then the dipstick and oil filler will be poking forward out of the bottom front of the case. They would wind up going through the firewall in a 914, so they're not so great to use.

You can block off the hole where the Bus filler goes, and add the tube for the 914 dipstick, but it is extra work.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.