Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 75 914 Idle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skiking
I started up my 1975 914 1.8 recently after not driving it for a number of months. It started fine, but when the idle speed dropped down after startup, it quit. I took it out for a 15 mile drive thinking it might help, but still won't idle. It seems to run fine other than that. The last time I had it out previous to this, it idled fine. If idle speed adjustment is the fix, I can probably handle that. My only concern is if this is part of a bigger problem as I plan on taking it on an 800 mile trip soon. It's been tuned up by a trusted mechanic (who's 300 miles away) in the last 1500 miles. All thoughts and suggstions appreciated!
Black22
Check all vacuum lines and the AAR.
jsayre914
you never mentioned if it was L-jet or carbs.

If L-Jet, does it idle fine if you back the idle screw out a bit??
skiking
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Oct 12 2011, 02:48 PM) *

you never mentioned if it was L-jet or carbs.

It's L-jet - no carbs.

If L-Jet, does it idle fine if you back the idle screw out a bit??

PDXMike
I had the same problem. Vacuum leak. Don't forget the intake manifold hoses. After replacing all other vacuum lines and hoses, the intake manifold hoses finally fixed mine.

Of course, they were simply the last thing I got to, so everything else was probably contributing. But if all else fails, replace the intake manifold hoses. $4 each.
skiking
QUOTE(PDXMike @ Oct 13 2011, 12:08 PM) *

I had the same problem. Vacuum leak. Don't forget the intake manifold hoses. After replacing all other vacuum lines and hoses, the intake manifold hoses finally fixed mine.

Of course, they were simply the last thing I got to, so everything else was probably contributing. But if all else fails, replace the intake manifold hoses. $4 each.

Are those hoses the same braided cover rubber hoses as the other vacuum hoses? Did you buy the hose material in bulk and cut to length, or buy premade?
Thanks!
jsayre914
I bought a kit that was precut and came with the diagram. Its a nice kit

HERE
PDXMike
I bought the intake manifold hoses cut to length from Pelican. $4 each, $16 total. They went on very easily.

The rest vacuum (and fuel) hose layout is here:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/technical_...4_18fi_diag.htm

I bought a vacuum hose kit from AA but was disappointed as I felt that it was incomplete. You might be better off just buying hose separately. The link above includes a table showing everything you need.

You're going to have trouble finding 18 and 22mm hose. That's why I bought the kit from AA, but then it didn't come with the 22mm hose anyway and I had to reuse my old 22mm one. I just put hose clamps on the ends and it seems to be OK.

rhodyguy
also, seals in the oil fill cap or even a spent cork seal for the oil fill tower.
PBC914
remember to replace the rubber seal on the filler neck base and the paper seal on the gas cap top.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(PBC914 @ Oct 14 2011, 12:40 PM) *

remember to replace the rubber seal on the filler neck base and the paper seal on the gas cap top.

Loose or failed boot between throttle and air flow meter ?
skiking
QUOTE(PDXMike @ Oct 14 2011, 07:27 AM) *

I bought the intake manifold hoses cut to length from Pelican. $4 each, $16 total. They went on very easily.

I bought a vacuum hose kit from AA but was disappointed as I felt that it was incomplete. You might be better off just buying hose separately. The link above includes a table showing everything you need.

You're going to have trouble finding 18 and 22mm hose. That's why I bought the kit from AA, but then it didn't come with the 22mm hose anyway and I had to reuse my old 22mm one. I just put hose clamps on the ends and it seems to be OK.

Thanks, Mike! You mention you were unhappy with the AA hose kit - I'm curious what that was lacking besides the breather?

partwerks
Back in the day when I had my 1.8, I believe the problem was the "o" ring under the oil fill cap? I would try and replace that first.
skiking
QUOTE(skiking @ Oct 17 2011, 03:54 PM) *

Thanks, Mike! You mention you were unhappy with the AA hose kit - I'm curious what that was lacking besides the breather?

Mike,

i don't know if you'll get this email, but I thought I'd try. I've replaced all vacuum hoses with the (4) intake manifold hoses remaining to be installed. You mentioned they went on easily - would you mind letting me know how you removed the old and installed the new?

Thanks, Robbie
JawjaPorsche
Skiking:

To replaced the intake hoses you need to remove your injectors (mark injector wires so you won't hook up wrong when you reassemble), remove the manifold nuts (see grey nuts in picture below) and the remove the intake manifold, my old manifold hoses were like a rock when I removed them! To replace simply side on. While I had the intake manifold off I replaced the gasket too. Here is gasket link on Pelican:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...75%29%2C%20each

Since you have the injectors off, consider replacing the fuel injector seals. They are real cheap and easy to replace:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...76%29%2C%20Each

I also sanded and repainted the manifolds with Engine Enamel paint! Really dressed up the engine!

See picture below.

Hope this helps, Terry

Note: My manifold hoses are silicone which I got from a fellow 914Worlder.

QUOTE(skiking @ Jul 14 2012, 06:50 PM) *

QUOTE(skiking @ Oct 17 2011, 03:54 PM) *

Mike,

i don't know if you'll get this email, but I thought I'd try. I've replaced all vacuum hoses with the (4) intake manifold hoses remaining to be installed. You mentioned they went on easily - would you mind letting me know how you removed the old and installed the new?

Thanks, Robbie
kbrunk1
Have you read this? Not exact engine but good info!
kbrunk1
QUOTE(kbrunk1 @ Jul 14 2012, 10:59 PM) *

Have you read this? Not exact engine but good info!

http://www.rennlist.com/techarticles/djetronicfuel.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.