Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion/Motor mount on bulkhead
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mack914
I have recieved a couple of pictures showing the bulkhead mount for the front motormount, I understand how to center the mount left to right. (east-west) How do you determine how far up or down it goes. I'm running zenth carbs with rainshield aircleaners. I realize the north/south adjustment will help in their clearance. How far up or down? Help me out you 6 converters you!!! pray.gif
J P Stein
Mine is the Velious type and it rests on the lower lip.

Couple things:
With the short manifolds, my 2.4L fit in....barely..... with watershields.
The tall manifolds on the 2.7 caused me do do some percussive modifications to the rear firewall.....that was after I used some spacers to lower the front of the motor bout 1/2 inch.

You *should* be OK with the Zeniths....at least for clearance biggrin.gif
mack914
When installing bolts to secure the bulkhead mount do you have to remove seats and back pad to install them?

Mack
scotty
When installing bolts to secure the bulkhead mount do you have to remove seats and back pad to install them?

Yes...makes it easier.
The tall manifolds on the 2.7 caused me do do some percussive modifications to the rear firewall

My Dremel was my friend wink.gif
...and weld it on too. Bolts are fine, but....
john rogers
When we did the conversion on my race car the shop had a block and empty transmission and used it to made a fit up so we could see what was where. I used the new Patrick mount which mounts the engine very low which is great for the center of gravity, especially when racing and also gave me lots of clearance on top for the carbs, air cleaners, etc. If you can get a lift it can make set up easy before you drill and weld to see where things go. Good luck.
Eric_Shea
How do you determine how far up or down it goes.

If it's Rich Johnson's kit your asking about (if not it should be) then you simply measure 7" from the floorpan to the bottom of the engine shelf on the mount. wink.gif
JWest
You can ask Rich directly - he posted his info on the resources board. His email (which is posted over there) is a914guy@aol.com.
J P Stein
I bolted mine in.
I welded in 1/8 in doublers on the fwd side of the firewall and drilled holes thru them then tacked the bolts in place. The bolts are 1/2 inch, grade 8, fine thread ... 75 ft/lbs of torque....it ain't going no where.
Mueller
Hey JP,

what does the mount look like that attaches to the engine?? Or does the engine mount directly to the bulkhead mount??

thanks
JWest
Mike, here is the complete mount.
Mueller
thanks, I couldn't figure out how the darn thing fitted smile.gif

any idea if he sells the kit minus the nose cone (piece on the engine)?

my VR6 swap might be easier with a bulkhead mount
J P Stein
I would have used Rich's mount, but he didn't have it done when I needed to jump.

Velious is semi-out-of-biddness I hear, so Richs' is the only way to go. He did address some of the issues with the Veloius mount that I had to deal with.

My long bolts are larger than those shown in the pics of Richs'...or so it appears. I had to open the holes in the cradle a smig to get em in. It makes it more of a PITA to get the motor hung as the clearances are tighter.....but I like big bolts....grade 8, of course.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.