Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Reason to Change out the Gas Lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
There's just no way to fix just one thing on a 914. While the motor was out I wanted to install the Tangerine steel fuel lines in the tunnel. Out comes the gas tank and what do I see but rubber gas lines about to come apart. Up front this probably wouldn't have caused a fire but ??????who knows. Actually the plastic lines in the tunnel looked pretty good, but who knows? Love the new ones!

Also, around the nipples nuts (now there's a conundrum if I ever saw one idea.gif ) is black dried stuff like dried glue. Could this be just dried leaking gas or did the PO use some type of glue or sealer on the threads?

ldsgeek
Is that 2 layers of fuel line in the second picture? Scary stuff there. Good luck.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(ldsgeek @ Oct 18 2011, 08:46 AM) *

Is that 2 layers of fuel line in the second picture? Scary stuff there. Good luck.

No.
VaccaRabite
to expand on the "No"...

Fuel line is often made with fabric reinforcement. It helps keep the rubber together, adds burst resistance for pressurized applications, and add general strength to the line. Eventually the fuel line will separate and you get what you see above.

Zach
Cap'n Krusty
Note the "USA" printed on the hose, a clear sign that the hose wasn't the right inside diameter to begin with, and the slotted screw clamps used in an effort to force the fit. Bad news!

The Cap'n
76-914
I think that we shall see in the very near future just how often we NEED to change these hoses. Maybe the Cap't or someone that see these on a daily basis could make a recommendation as to change out intervals???
Cevan
I would also strongly recommend changing those clamps for real FI hose clamps. My local NAPA has them in metric sizes.

Click to view attachment
jmill
I pulled out my fuel tank last week. There was a gallon or so still in the tank. When I tilted the tank up both fuel lines ripped apart. It wasn't pretty. Thankfully I tilted it up enough to limit the spillage.
bandjoey
Is there a torque for the brass nuts holding the outlet tubes to the tank, or just armstrong tight?
7TPorsh
did you take the front hood off to pull the tank?
VaccaRabite
You do not need to pull the hood off.
Like many things, its easier if you do.
Zach
JmuRiz
I'm going to change my lines when I do the 6-conversion. Going to do the same on my MB refurbish too...scary looking lines on that car.
sean_v8_914
interval? I don't know but... CA and other states add ethanol. old school hose breaks down QUICKLY. buy hose rated to handle the new fuel formulation. to go cheap here could cost you a car later.
jt914-6
I've changed all the fuel lines to the ethanol resistant lines and used the FI clamps...Good you caught it in time Bill... beerchug.gif
NOW....the rest of you need to do the same.....just sayin..... smash.gif shades.gif
bandjoey
It was a snap to pull the tank with the hood off. Bought new gasline and clamps from NAPA. The counter man said the life of the hose was less than 2 years unless I bought the new hose at $9 a foot that was alcohol resistant. Part salesman and part truth probably.

Hardest part was pulling up the new carpet to get to the inspection plates on the tunnel in installing the new Tangerine lines. Boy are they easy to install with the motor out.

smash.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 18 2011, 07:42 PM) *

It was a snap to pull the tank with the hood off. Bought new gasline and clamps from NAPA. The counter man said the life of the hose was less than 2 years unless I bought the new hose at $9 a foot that was alcohol resistant. Part salesman and part truth probably.

He's not kidding about the lifespan of the cheap hose. It's less than 2 years in pressurized locations.
OTOH, you shouldn't have to pay $9/ft for the good stuff.
I sell it for considerably less than that.
bigkensteele
I installed my SS lines this past weekend. Not as difficult as I had imagined. I pulled the return line first and was somewhat surprised that the plastic was still pretty pliable and seemed to be in good shape. When I pulled the supply line out, it cracked in two with very little lateral force. Glad that didn't happen while I was driving it!!!

That crap on your retaining nuts is old dried gas (varnish). It cleans off easily. Make sure that you really clean the tubes and the sealing surface on the tubes. You may want to use some fine sandpaper to get the sealing surface nice and smooth. Use new seals.

I got everything I needed from Rotary'14 in the member vendors section including the above mentioned seals, clamps, etc., for what I consider to be crazy cheap. The lines are beautiful and fit perfectly. He even has an installation video on the post.

Rotary Fuel Lines

Good luck! beerchug.gif
RON S.
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Oct 18 2011, 11:34 AM) *

interval? I don't know but... CA and other states add ethanol. old school hose breaks down QUICKLY. buy hose rated to handle the new fuel formulation. to go cheap here could cost you a car later.

I recently converted all my fuel lines in my car from Aeroquip braided hose over to stainless hard lines.

For the short flexible hoses on the end near the tank and such, you should ONLY use fuel line that is clearly marked SAE J30R9 along it's side.

All fuel hose from any source is marked with an SAE rating on the side.

Hose marked SAE J30R9 is the latest upgrade for fuel hose, and it is formulated to withstand E85 ethanol, foul gas and the like. This is also a fuel injection rated hose so it's good for 100psi+ Figure the hose to be sold at the auto parts stores for 6-10.00 a foot. There is some hose out there with J30R7 markings, and this is an older hose. Not as good as the R9.

Just an FYI

Ron
sean_v8_914
thanks for posting the spec
Black22
I picked up the 30R9 hose from Pep Boys for $4.99 p/ft.
pete000
I am right in the middle of putting in the SS lines and all new hoses and clamps.

My plastic lines were in pretty good shape. The hoses by the fuel pump and fuel tank were rock hard and they used the wrong clamps el cheapo slotted type.

I am replacing every inch with German fuel hose from Pelican and nice new German clamps.

Don't forget to change out the fuel screen sock at the tank while its all out.

FYI: Doing mine engine in and hood on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.