Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Roof Latches
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThinAir
My top is so loose at the top back that it rattles when I hit small road imperfections. I haven't attempted yet to put any kind of shim under the hook to tighten things up, but I'm wondering if anyone here is producing new ones or is refurbing existing latches. I've never seen it mentioned.
ConeDodger
Bruce Stone refurbs them but I think you have to start with good ones to begin with... Otherwise they start loose and ugly and end up loose and pretty... sad.gif
SUNAB914
They can be adjusted up and down. Also, find vacuum plugs that will fit around the small hook, cut the nipple end of v. plug and of course just paint the latch. Good as new for less than a dollar. Good luck
76-914
agree.gif Hey that's my trick. Great minds think al.........nevermind. Talcum powder lightly dusted will help w/ the squeeking from the rubber.
rick 918-S
Mikey914- (Mark) sells new rubber for the rear of the top. If your top is loose enough to rattle chances are you need a new top gasket not new latches.
PDXMike
I suppose the right solution to squeaks is new rubber.

Not one to use the "right" solution (read: CSOB) I just took my rear latches off and slotted the mounting holes. The front latches have some adjustment front-to-rear, but I slotted out those, too so I could tighten it up even more.

It made a HUGE difference in the tightness of the fit, and driving around with the top on is so much more pleasant now. I wish I had done this two years ago.
Mikey914
The nipple is a good way to tighten it up. Slotting would work, but is much more work. Rubber is the answer if yours if completely flat. But more than likely it's a combination that will be the solution. try the rubber nipple trick first. If it's better, then try the seal. You could go refurbished latches, last as they are the most expensive.

-mark
smontanaro
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 20 2011, 09:20 AM) *

Mikey914- (Mark) sells new rubber for the rear of the top. If your top is loose enough to rattle chances are you need a new top gasket not new latches.

Exactly what I was thinking. I had an annoying rattle in front. I wound up buying a couple different sets of latches, when the ultimate problem was that my front seal didn't have enough "spring" anymore. Replacing that cured the problem.

Skip
ThinAir
I've already got Mike's new seals on the top all-around. I think the rattling actually showed up after I replaced the rear seal because it wasn't as thick as the combination of stuff that was there before. I'll go look for some vacuum nipples and see how it does.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.