Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: REARVIEW MIRROR
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ray Warren
I picked up a new rearview mirror.
Any suggestions on how to remove the old one?
scottb
i removed mine with a stiff blade 1" wide scraper. just worked from the bottom up slowly then pried it up. took about a minute.
pbanders
Usually, they remove themselves, falling into your lap when you finally hit that big pothole that you forgot about.

Pull hard?
Jenny
a'yup, I need to do the same on mine. Tried going at it with a straight edge blade, didn't work. Bought a solvent that's supposed to dissolve the adhesive, but how the hell do you get it on there? It's attached to the windshield at an impossible angle! I get more dribbling down my arm and onto the carpet and seats than I do on the glass. Of course, doesn't help that I'd just glued it a couple months ago. Wait another 30 years for it to fall off?? wacko.gif

Jen
Dave_Darling
You can get better access if you remove the mirror part from the base. There's a hole in the bottom of the arm that holds the mirror; reach up in there with a thin screwdriver (I think it's phillips-head, but I could be mis-remembering) and remove the screw. The arm will then wiggle off the base. That should make it a lot eaiser to access the base.

Or, if you're just replacing the mirror part, you can put the new one onto the old base....

--DD
Jenny
glued the hardware too high up before the targa pads were installed. Now I can only see my rear trunk and about 5ft behind me. headbang.gif Now I really am driving asian. ohmy.gif

Jen
McMark
Remove you mirror!!! Damn, I still can't get mine to stick. I've put it up 4 times. Next time I'm cleaning the window with acid!
bondo
I had trouble getting one off once... tried tapping it sideways with a hammer.. light taps do nothing... harder taps get it off... BUT it takes a chunk of glass with it sad.gif In other words, don't to that
Ray Warren
QUOTE(bondo @ Jul 30 2004, 03:11 PM)
I had trouble getting one off once... tried tapping it sideways with a hammer.. light taps do nothing... harder taps get it off... BUT it takes a chunk of glass with it sad.gif In other words, don't to that

Yup thats what I just did,
Gave it a couple of good tugs and it came off
along with a chunk of glass. mad.gif
Are these windshields available new from the auto glass guys?
bondo
Doh! Here's a recent windshiled thread, it even has some canadian input!

Windshield thread
JohnB
Mine fell off. The screw DD refers to is actually a slotted screw and it comes out easily enough. I took the mirror off the mount before I reattached it. Taking the mirror off the base should give you much more room to work the blade around but I have heard of quite a few broken windshields from too much effort. Go slow and easy.
mikester
I gotta do this too...sucks. It's in the wrong place since the glass was replaced...
bongo monkey
icon_bump.gif

I'm having the same problem as Jenny (except it was the PO who put the mirror on wrong... yeah, the PO unsure.gif)

I tried a scraper with a razor blade. No success, that sucker is on there TIGHT. Can't even get it 1mm under the base.

I'm thinking heat. Lots of heat. Will that pop the mirror right off?
Ray Warren
QUOTE(bongo monkey @ Aug 6 2004, 07:11 PM)
icon_bump.gif

I'm having the same problem as Jenny (except it was the PO who put the mirror on wrong... yeah, the PO unsure.gif)

I tried a scraper with a razor blade. No success, that sucker is on there TIGHT. Can't even get it 1mm under the base.

I'm thinking heat. Lots of heat. Will that pop the mirror right off?

The guy at the glass shop told me I should of used heat
but not to much heat becouse it will melt the laminate between the glass.
I got my new window installed today.
$240.00 with the rubber trim around the window to replace the chrome.
Turned out good. I'm quite happy with it.
I will post a pic if anybody wants to see it.
markb
QUOTE(914ray @ Aug 6 2004, 04:21 PM)
I got my new window installed today.
$240.00 with the rubber trim around the window to replace the chrome.
Turned out good. I'm quite happy with it.
I will post a pic if anybody wants to see it.

Did you do the paint around the inside edge of the windsheild thing? Pics would be appreciated.
914werke
no one replyed " just hit it with a hammer" laugh.gif
Ray Warren
(Did you do the paint around the inside edge of the windsheild thing? Pics would be appreciated.)

No. Did not paint.
The guy did a pretty good job with the urethane and it smoothed out fairly evenly.
It's not perfect but it looks pretty good at 5 feet. Much better than my beat up chrome did.
I just went out to the garage to take some pics and of course the battery in my camera needs to be re-charged.
Iwill take some pics tomorrow.
jandro62
One of my female friends sits in in the driver's seat of my teener for the first time and reaches for the mirror to adjust it, it just comes off in her hand. She had the most apologetic face i've ever seen! I just laughed it off since I'm a little tall and trying to look through the rear glass was just about useless.
Ray Warren
some pics of rubber trim
Ray Warren
sdfv
Ray Warren
sdfgdsf
Jenny
Hmm... vinyl around the windshield as well? I think I've only seen that once before. Looks great accompanied with the rubber trim. Thanks for the pic.

Jen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.