Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wonky prices for 914 parts/cars, driven by greed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Krieger
Yeah, the collective should set prices on all used parts for the greater good therefore protecting the weaker members who spend to much....comrade. WTF, you guys haven't figured out how to shop around?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Krieger @ Oct 24 2011, 08:33 PM) *

Yeah, the collective should set prices on all used parts for the greater good therefore protecting the weaker members who spend to much....comrade. WTF, you guys haven't figured out how to shop around?

You are right! chowtime.gif

Steel flares $50 each
3.6L engine $50 each
WAS Top $50 each
PMB Brakes $50 each
Rust free bodies $50 each
GTS seats $50 each
Getty Dash $50 each
aktion035.gif happy11.gif

sheeplove.gif sheeplove.gif sheeplove.gif sheeplove.gif sheeplove.gif sheeplove.gif
Krieger
Now your talkin' comrade Mike! All that don't follow Mike's pricing guidelines will either be sent to re-education center or gulag.
JeffBowlsby
Whoooooaaaaa nellie....

It looks like my original post may have been mis-interpreted and has gone sideways.

I merely floated the idea of a price guideline, to serve as a resource, and point of reference. Price control, price fixing, banishment, floggings and ex-communication- never suggested.... wink.gif

See my page here for sales history on orignal-ish exceptional quality 914s. If one wants to know what a $12K 914 looks like or a $25K 914 to compare it to...this is one point of information. http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/RecentSales.htm

Same thing with my NOS/NLA parts pricing 'guide'. These are top $ prices from documented sales of NLA parts. http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/NLAParts.htm

The point of this is that if an NOS painted front early bumpers' recent high dollar mark is $293...an $800 asking price is off base....(just an illustrative example, not a real circumstanceui)

We could potentially organize/maintain the 'guide' collectively, like the 'Parts vault'.
hwgunner
Well, what I think is you might get into a problem with the pricing thing. Isn't it just the opposite of the guys that are price fixen, I mean just the same?? I do everything I can to make sure that I am competitive (read "lower than the compition"). Should I raise my prices? (well some of them, anyway?)

I hate used parts because they are so hard to put a price on. I hate it because I never want to cheat someone. (I have tossed stuff because I felt like asking any$$ would be asking too much) I have seen things that were out of line and I have seen things that I bought because I knew I could double my $$. If you are going to try and price guide one side you have to do it to the other too.

As for NOS- it is what it is. Certain items are just not available all the time and so the prices tend to fluctuate more. I have to admit that I listed a couple NOS items recently at prices that I thought were high but they sold quickly. The thing about the lenses on ebay is that the seller is going to pay 11% in fees if not a little more and eventually they will be worth more if the buyer keeps them new.

On the other hand, just a few days ago, I had some one post on one of my threads, where I was selling a new item at $95.00 LESS THAN the list price and what the manufacturer sells it for, saying that people could get them for less if they went to the manufacturer and asked nicely becuase the manufacturer was actually a nice guy. What, i'm not a nice guy?? Do I need to lower my price more?? This is a business for me and quite frankly, I need to make more or I am not going to last much longer. Don't get me wrong, I love the cars but I also need to make money on them or I will have to go get a job at Costco or the local mini-mart. Anyone want to buy a business???

What do we do?? If it is a used part being sold on this site and you think it is over priced and you have one to sell or know someone who has one then post it. On the otherhand, if it off this site then buyer beware. I think we could start by not deleting the old FS/WTB adds. Then you could go back and see what items sold for or ask the people who sold or bought.

BTW, when talking about ebay, please note that I never pay less than 11% in fees, even on items upt $1000 (ebay and PP combined) but rutinely pay 15%+ on items between $0 and $100. Ebay aint cheap.

Mark-- you can flame me now for doing what you think I said you could not do!!! poke.gif

Last, do you all remember what happend when good used targa seals started going for $500-$1000......................

Porsche saw the oppertunity to make some $$ and made them again, irreguardless of what the aftermarket was doing. beerchug.gif
Prospectfarms
QUOTE(somd914 @ Oct 24 2011, 11:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Prospectfarms @ Oct 24 2011, 09:52 PM) *

QUOTE(somd914 @ Oct 24 2011, 09:12 PM) *

Ah,the land of capitalism, we all love the concept until it hits our wallet... idea.gif

If you are criticizing J. Bowlsby's OP as being somehow anti-capitalistic you don't understand the term.

But what definition of capitalism are you referring to? There are many, e.g.:

"Free market capitalism consists of a free-price system where supply and demand are allowed to reach their point of equilibrium without intervention by the government."

Shall we insert the word "club" for "government"?

In general, the driving factor is to make profit.

I know I over pay on some items, but if I need it and don't know when it will be available again, that's the price I pay.

I find it ironic that everytime a house goes on the market in the neighborhood, everyone is hoping for a high selling price to boost their equity. Yet, when they are buying, they want it cheap.

Ok, so you didn't get it the first time.... turn off Fox News for a few minutes and focus. 914world can't regulate prices. That's not the point of Bowlsby's post. 914 world can provide a means for members to communicate their opinions about the value of a used car part. That is what other "clubs," like the "Wall Street Journal", do every day.

Jeff was proposing a more systematic "system" for tracking and reporting the value of used car parts. That's what the "new york stock exchange" does every day. E.g., if I offer you a share of Stuartco for $10 you know I'm full of BS and don't buy 'cause it's only trading for $5 right now on the NYSE.

Giving and receiving opinions on value and tracking prices are hardly contradictory to a free market, rather, they are absolutely necessary for the market to operate. Without a reliable way to gauge a market, no one buys .

Some of you have been conditioned to believe that asking sellers to follow rules or disseminating market information is anti-capitalistic. At least that is how it's sounding to me. Why for goodness sake should doing so be OK for Standard and Poors, but not you, or the organizations to which you belong? If 914 world had the resources to track sales of used car parts, they could publish a daily price sheet for used car parts and that would help, not hinder "free market capitalism."
drive-ability
confused24.gif Some times its just confused24.gif
My insurance said my car had 25,000 worth of damage, sure shocked me ! I guess you have to pay extra to get someone to work on cars like ours. I never realized I was being paid so well beerchug.gif
somd914
[/quote]

Ok, so you didn't get it the first time.... turn off Fox News for a few minutes and focus. 914world can't regulate prices. That's not the point of Bowlsby's post. 914 world can provide a means for members to communicate their opinions about the value of a used car part. That is what other "clubs," like the "Wall Street Journal", do every day.

[/quote]

Wall Street Journal provides analysis for investors, not information for product consumers. They have a much easier task. It doesn't matter if you own the very first share of Porsche stock ever offered, or if you bought yesterday, a share is a share is a share. Their is no concern for its condition, its availability, and the volatility of a collectors market.

To try to track sales of parts and publish a dbase is an extremely enormous task, and the value of it is only as good as the data that goes in. Anyone at anytime can ask members for an opinion on value of a particular item, and I've seen it done here and on other forums. But this market changes so quickly, I don't see the value - we are hobbiest, not investors, we are not making money off of our hobby, but I wish I could.
J P Stein
QUOTE(somd914 @ Oct 25 2011, 02:59 AM) *

To try to track sales of parts and publish a dbase is an extremely enormous task, and the value of it is only as good as the data that goes in.

IT'S ALREADY BEEN DONE.

This is where the "listen" ( maybe I should have used "read") part comes in......you can read, EH?. If so, see pg1 of this thread.

Every 914 part with Porsche's new price and AA's used price (at the time) along with part #s and exploded views.

It' not current and the source is suspect but gives anyone that can read (& comprehend) a starting point at least. No "Nanny State" guidance is included for the "no child left behind" unfortunates.
jaxdream
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Oct 24 2011, 03:51 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 24 2011, 04:45 PM) *

There was an Ad recently in our Classifieds for Parts that I normally Give Away for Ridiculas Prices. I was going to put in a Response but that is Rude

Was it from Lurker with 0 posts dry.gif
One suggestion...again...is to limit ability to post in the classified section unless registered &/or post count threshold reached.

Its unfortunate confused24.gif

agree.gif

Jack
Loser_Cruiser
QUOTE(hwgunner @ Oct 24 2011, 09:31 PM) *

I think we could start by not deleting the old FS/WTB adds. Then you could go back and see what items sold for or ask the people who sold or bought.

I agree with this! So many times I have spend a good deal of time searching for items in similar condition as mine for pricing and I'd say about half the time the asking price or sale price has been deleted. I always want to make sure that I ask a fair price for my potential buyers and for myself.
JFJ914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 25 2011, 12:23 AM) *

Whoooooaaaaa nellie....

It looks like my original post may have been mis-interpreted and has gone sideways.

I merely floated the idea of a price guideline, to serve as a resource, and point of reference. Price control, price fixing, banishment, floggings and ex-communication- never suggested.... wink.gif

See my page here for sales history on orignal-ish exceptional quality 914s. If one wants to know what a $12K 914 looks like or a $25K 914 to compare it to...this is one point of information. http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/RecentSales.htm

Same thing with my NOS/NLA parts pricing 'guide'. These are top $ prices from documented sales of NLA parts. http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/NLAParts.htm

The point of this is that if an NOS painted front early bumpers' recent high dollar mark is $293...an $800 asking price is off base....(just an illustrative example, not a real circumstanceui)

We could potentially organize/maintain the 'guide' collectively, like the 'Parts vault'.

Your NOS "Pricing Guide" is a perfect example of why this idea of current value will not work. You have not updated the NOS "Pricing Guide" in quite a while. Example, do you really think you can buy a NOS MPS for $470 today? Who decides what a NOS MPS is worth? I thought it's supposed to be between a buyer and seller. Should an artificial guide, w/value "set" by CSOB's mean anything to someone who has a part and someone who needs a part? Will the marketplace not set a real value? Just because guide thinks a MPS is worth $470, for example, if your concours car needs one to make it to the Hilton Head Concours don't you get to make the decision as to what it's worth to you? After all, you can't just order one from just any supplier. They are NOS. Let the marketplace decide.
thelogo
QUOTE(tod914 @ Oct 24 2011, 02:21 PM) *

this is shit i'm talking about , If I saw this guy in person and he asked this price

i'd kick his ass ! chair.gif
rick 918-S
Man this thing went sideways. screwy.gif Now were kickin guys asses. dry.gif
Mike Bellis
I think this thread is out of control, way off topic and should be closed.

hijacked.gif
hwgunner
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 25 2011, 12:05 PM) *

Man this thing went sideways. screwy.gif Now were kickin guys asses. dry.gif

Agreed!
hwgunner
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 25 2011, 12:08 PM) *

I think this thread is out of control, way off topic and should be closed.

hijacked.gif

Agreed!
Spoke
Our world is one of a free market.

One can charge what they want for their products and services.

If someone is asking out of range high prices, don't buy it.

As with everything in our world, it's buyer beware.

My main concerns are scams and ripoffs where you get no product/service for your payment or the item is not what was advertized.
Katmanken
Dang!

So how much did I lose on a pair of NOS 2.0l stainless heater boxes? My control-freak cardboard-recycling clutter-diminishing wife took them out of the boxes and recycled the cardboard as an unannounced clutter control exercise.

Just askin....
A&PGirl
...cars, based on recent sales of similar, condition, rarity, and listing other options...

How is this any different to NADA?

Of course, all NADA sees us as is a number with a statistic attached to it that can change depending on the inputs.

NADA doesn't care about specific condition of our cars, such as early vs late, engine size, fuel delivery, suspension, steering or the quantity of rust, scrap value of individual areas, and etc.

This is an opportunity to hammer out some details to make a personalized NADA for ourselves that majority of owners can agree on.

$.02

mikea100
popcorn[1].gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(thelogo @ Oct 25 2011, 11:11 AM) *

QUOTE(tod914 @ Oct 24 2011, 02:21 PM) *

this is shit i'm talking about , If I saw this guy in person and he asked this price

i'd kick his ass ! chair.gif

"i,d kick his ass"! Assuming you are capable.
championgt1
QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 25 2011, 01:13 PM) *

Our world is one of a free market.

One can charge what they want for their products and services.

If someone is asking out of range high prices, don't buy it.

As with everything in our world, it's buyer beware.

My main concerns are scams and ripoffs where you get no product/service for your payment or the item is not what was advertized.

agree.gif
pete000
70 grand for a 914 !!! WOW !

http://www.silverstonemotorcars.com/vehicl...achusetts-01845

BK911
Do you think that part is too expensive? Don’t buy it. If nobody bites, the seller will have to reduce the price.

How about government regulation? The man should step in and have rules on how much we can charge for used parts. Yea, more gubment.

sheeplove.gif
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 24 2011, 09:23 PM) *

I merely floated the idea of a price guideline, to serve as a resource, and point of reference.

It already exists; it's called a "SEARCH FUNCTION"
JeffBowlsby
Actually my NOS pricing guide is as current and as accurate as I can make it and it is regualrly maintained. The dates/values ranging back a few years reflect not that the info is obsolete, they are accurate prices at that point in time, so that was the last date I know of a sale of that part, and its price. That can be an indication of scarcity. And those are the highest prices I have seen as a top value indication. I know of recent NOS 2.0L MPS purchases for $300., did not update the list with that because even the current listing of $470 is not out of line. I have verbal information of NOS MPS sales over $700, but because it was not documented I did not include it. The market between buyer/seller will determine the ultimate price, thats the way it should be and is, but I feel this data is useful to anyone evaluating what they should pay/not pay for a given part. Same with my 'Recent Sales history' page on 914 cars.

I have taken items off the NOS pricing guide list. A few years ago I saw an NOS targa windshield seal go for over $1200., now they are available new for <$200. List was updated. One can by brand new 2.0L SSI's for about $1400. from the only known source I know of in Germany, so anything less than that from a private seller is a good deal.

QUOTE(John Jentz @ Oct 25 2011, 07:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 25 2011, 12:23 AM) *

Whoooooaaaaa nellie....

Your NOS "Pricing Guide" is a perfect example of why this idea of current value will not work. You have not updated the NOS "Pricing Guide" in quite a while. Example, do you really think you can buy a NOS MPS for $470 today? Who decides what a NOS MPS is worth? I thought it's supposed to be between a buyer and seller. Should an artificial guide, w/value "set" by CSOB's mean anything to someone who has a part and someone who needs a part? Will the marketplace not set a real value? Just because guide thinks a MPS is worth $470, for example, if your concours car needs one to make it to the Hilton Head Concours don't you get to make the decision as to what it's worth to you? After all, you can't just order one from just any supplier. They are NOS. Let the marketplace decide.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.