Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brad Penn Oil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
I am currently using Brad Penn oil in my 73 Teener based on the recommendations from Teener owners.

While it doesn't affect me, I was reading the small print and it said: "Contains high zinc and phosphorous additive concentrations which can be detrimental to cars with catalytic converters."

Does this mean if you running a late model Teener with stock setup, you shouldn't use Brad Penn oil?
carr914
73' 914s were pre-Catalytic Converters - You are Safe
JawjaPorsche
My bad! I thought since the later model Teeners had smog pumps that they also had catalytic converters. I learned something! Who said you can't teach an old dawg new tricks?!

QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 29 2011, 09:42 AM) *

914s were pre-Catalytic Converters - You are Safe

VaccaRabite
75 and 76 914s had cats. Most of them have just been removed over the years or had the exhaust backdated.

Even so, you need to run the higher zinc content oil.

Zach
Dave_Darling
Some of the 75-76 914s had cats. Some had smog pumps. Some had EGR. Some had none of the above. There are specific combinations of engine type (1.8 or 2.0) and market (non-US, 49-state, California, and a few other states) that had specific combinations of gear, but I never remember which had what.

--DD
URY914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 29 2011, 08:45 AM) *

Some of the 75-76 914s had cats. Some had smog pumps. Some had EGR. Some had none of the above. There are specific combinations of engine type (1.8 or 2.0) and market (non-US, 49-state, California, and a few other states) that had specific combinations of gear, but I never remember which had what.

--DD

Dave you better get this remembered before the next PCA tech quiz. Someone may see this and try to trip you up. laugh.gif
burton73
I am running it on my 86 Carrera. Does that mean it will kill my cat?

Bob
burton73
QUOTE(burton73 @ Oct 29 2011, 05:39 PM) *

Bob

I run it on my 76 914 as well. I do not put a lot of miles of the cars but I would rather the Engines are protected than the cats.

Bob
underthetire
QUOTE(burton73 @ Oct 29 2011, 05:42 PM) *

QUOTE(burton73 @ Oct 29 2011, 05:39 PM) *

Bob

I run it on my 76 914 as well. I do not put a lot of miles of the cars but I would rather the Engines are protected than the cats.

Bob

Wait till you have to change one now. It must be made specifically for the vehicle. No more generic weld ins. Must also be installed by an approved shop. Not that they check I'm sure, but if they do it can get expensive.
PancakePorsche
If you have 76 in California and need a new cat to pass smog, you must buy the California only cat which is around $400 compared to the 49 state unit $175. Good news is it is a bolt-in unit so put it back in a day before test, that is if you accidentally left your test pipe in if you know what I mean.
JawjaPorsche
We are lucky were we live. We don't have emission inspections or requirements. A lot of people take off their cats on their older cars when they move here.

QUOTE(PancakePorsche @ Oct 30 2011, 04:15 AM) *

If you have 76 in California and need a new cat to pass smog, you must buy the California only cat which is around $400 compared to the 49 state unit $175. Good news is it is a bolt-in unit so put it back in a day before test, that is if you accidentally left your test pipe in if you know what I mean.

maf914
As Dave said, not all 76 cars had cats. My 76, which was originally purchased in North Carolina, did not have a cat.
JeffBowlsby
Only the 1975-76 CA-market (originally sold in CA) 914s had cats.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Emissions.htm

wink.gif
smj
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Oct 29 2011, 05:38 AM) *

I am currently using Brad Penn oil in my 73 Teener based on the recommendations from Teener owners.

While it doesn't affect me, I was reading the small print and it said: "Contains high zinc and phosphorous additive concentrations which can be detrimental to cars with catalytic converters."

For anybody wondering why Brad Penn or other oils are specifically recommended for their teener, it's because these additives are essential to the proper lubrication of air-cooled engines and other designs. Over the years these additives have been reduced or removed in order to provide lower emissions from newer engine designs, incompatibilities with newer sensor types, and as referenced above things like catalytic converters.

I'm just repeating what I've read:
Extensive testing report from LN Engineering
One of many threads on 914World
PancakePorsche
Good info Jeff, thanks for posting it. Lucky me, I have a 76 in California.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.