Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what size socket do I need to remove oil sandwich adapter?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mightyohm
I'm trying to remove a Mocal sandwich adapter (with thermostat) and I can't find a socket that fits the threaded piece in the middle that holds the adapter on. It's big - somewhere around 27-30mm. Anyone know off the top of their head what size it is (or is it even metric)?

Hopefully going to stop by my FLAPS today to pick up a socket.
mightyohm
Figured it out - the threaded collar can be removed with a 1 1/8" deep socket (I don't think there is a metric equivalent).
McMark
smilie_pokal.gif
914Mike
QUOTE(mightyohm @ Oct 30 2011, 04:01 PM) *

Figured it out - the threaded collar can be removed with a 1 1/8" deep socket (I don't think there is a metric equivalent).

That is what I use. Don't have it out to measure, but 1 1/8" is over 28.5mm, so it could be a 28mm if the inch socket was kinda loose.
rwilner
Jeff just curious -- why are you removing it?

I have the same unit on my car and it seems to work great. Is there something I should know?
pcar916
QUOTE(914Mike @ Oct 31 2011, 12:18 AM) *

... 28mm if the inch socket was kinda loose.

Yeah, like a 12pt rather than a 6pt, thin sidewalls, and flat on the end.

1. The hex portion of the fitting is usually darned shallow and the tapered inner-edges of a socket only allows a little of it to grab the fitting.

2. If the socket is a thick-walled one the recess in the sandwich adapter might be too small and prevent the socket from going all the way down onto the fitting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.