Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help! Name that clip
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bigkensteele
I am in the last stages of getting my car back together after almost 4 years. I was cleaning/organizing the garage, getting ready to put the engine back in, and I found this on the floor. confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

I vaguely remember seeing it before, but I can't remember what/where it came from. To give you an idea of where it could have come from, I will tell you where I have been.

- removed engine/tranny (75 1.8)
- rebuilt tranny
- took engine down to shortblock, replaced accessable seals, did a lot of cleaning and painting
- removed gas tank, replaced all soft lines, filter
- ran SS fuel lines in the tunnel
- replaced all vacuum hoses
- replaced 1.8 exhaust with SSEs, 2.0 ducting and a bursch

Getting ready to put the motor back in, but I would really like to find the home for this thing. unsure.gif
dlee6204
I think its the clip that holds in the cooling boot for the alternator on the shroud side.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Oct 30 2011, 05:52 PM) *

I think its the clip that holds in the cooling boot for the alternator on the shroud side.

If you are correct, then I am thinking of a four letter word that starts with s and ends with hit. headbang.gif

Everything is back together now. I guess I could pull the front half of the shroud without taking the whole damn thing apart again. idea.gif
Dr Evil
Its not a tranz part smile.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 30 2011, 06:36 PM) *

Its not a tranz part smile.gif

Nope. If it was, it would be on Andy's garage floor, along with a couple quarts of my old gear oil. Sorry Andy! bye1.gif
partwerks
If you just found it on the floor doesn't necessarily mean it came off the car.
cwpeden
Not the clip for the alt. cooling. Just went and checked. Hose clamp on alt. and boss on shroud...
dlee6204
It IS the clip for the alternator. #49 below. Measures 44.5 mm... roughly 1.75" You have to take off the front of the shroud to get at it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
cwpeden
I guess I jumped to a conclusion. None of my 3 cars have ever had it.

Always ended up on the floor and thrown away?
nathansnathan
It's kind of hidden as it goes inside the lip of the boot pushing it out. If you don't remove the boot from the shroud, you'd never see it.
jaxdream
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Oct 30 2011, 05:52 PM) *

agree.gif I found that exact same clip , a little misshapened ,when I pulled the boot frm a couple fanshrouds that i removed from two engines. Yes it was on the inside of the boot to push out to seal against the shroud.

Although I've been wrong before .......

Jack
76-914
Don't feel bad Ken. I wasted a few hours doing the same thing. My mystery part turned out to be a part from my floor jack. headbang.gif chair.gif hissyfit.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Oct 30 2011, 07:39 PM) *

It IS the clip for the alternator. #49 below. Measures 44.5 mm... roughly 1.75" You have to take off the front of the shroud to get at it.

I was able to get at it without taking off the front of the shroud. I tool the fan off instead and had plenty of room to put it back on.

Thanks guys!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.