Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing Center Cap on the Hub of a 911 Front-end?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdArango
Hi All,
Well, I've got a 1986 911sc front suspension that I want to bolt onto my 914 but wa would like to replace the rotors. I can't even get pass the center cap !!! Does anyone have any suggestion on removing this cap??

Thanks
ED
Click to view attachment
Spoke
I'm doing the same thing. I just popped both caps off with a little prybar under the edge of the cap. Tap-tap on one side, tap-tap on the other and they popped off.
iamchappy
Some people use a hose clamp and pry it against that others use a pipe wrench.
mikea100
+1 on little prybar & tap-tap. Sometimes I use screwdriver. I've done it on 944 many times, same set up.

QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 31 2011, 03:32 PM) *

I'm doing the same thing. I just popped both caps off with a little prybar under the edge of the cap. Tap-tap on one side, tap-tap on the other and they popped off.

SLITS
Big ass pair of channel locks ....
SirAndy
QUOTE(EdArango @ Oct 31 2011, 12:29 PM) *
Does anyone have any suggestion on removing this cap??

Rubber mallet. Tap on opposite sides until it comes off. smash.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 31 2011, 04:03 PM) *

QUOTE(EdArango @ Oct 31 2011, 12:29 PM) *
Does anyone have any suggestion on removing this cap??

Rubber mallet. Tap on opposite sides until it comes off. smash.gif

agree.gif
913B
Buy this clamp from local auto parts store, should buck or two. Clamp it on the dust cap then you have something to use your pry bar against, work it evenly on it one side then the other. Thats what I use. I cant take credit. I read it on the pelican board.

Good Luck

Click to view attachment

type47
I copy alot of stuff from here to dorkiphus, now here's one from dorkiphus to here

Here's a quick and dirty how-to for building a replica of the Porsche factory tool for removing the bearing dust caps on the front of a 911.

The inspiration for this came from helping Matt DeMaria of Stuttgart Performance Engineering tech my car for a DE one weekend. Matt said my front bearings were loose, and told me to remove the dust cover and tighten them up. So I asked him "You got a big ol' chisel I can use ta take the dust cap off?". Matt looked at me like I was insane, and then proceeded to explain to me that pounding the dust cap off with a chisel like a ham fisted gorilla eggs out the hub, which is made of aluminum. Do it too much, the dust cap won't seat anymore and you have to buy new hubs. "Fair enough. So how do you remove them?" I asked. "With this - the factory tool made specifically for this job" he said. (BTW, this is how Matt does everything - the right way, with the right tool. Its pretty impressive to watch him work on stuff, IMO).

Turns out, the the factory tool is a pretty simple contraption - a metal cap with 3 set screws attached to a slide hammer. The cap goes over the dust cap, and the set screws are tighened into the groove around the cap. One good whack with the hammer and you're done - cap off with no side load to egg out the hub. Here's a picture:
Click to view attachment
Anyone who knows me knows I'm a tool junkie, so I wanted one of these (since I do a lot of bearing adjusting). Matt told me that he remembers the puller running about $100 20 years ago .

Looking at it, I figured I could build a replica for less. One trip to Home Depot later, I had about $5 worth of parts and was ready to go.

Step 1. Get your materials. Here's what you need:
(1) 2" cast iron pipe cap.
(3) #10-24 x 1" Thumbscrews
(1) #10-24 tap and drill bit set
(1) Bolt (M6 x 25mm in my case) to attach the tool to your slide hammer
(1) Slide hammer. Mine is a $10, 10lb POS from Harbor Freight. One of the best $10 I've ever spent on a tool.
Click to view attachment
This is the key to the whole tool - the 2" cast iron pipe cap. $3 at Home Depot, IIRC.
Click to view attachment
Step 2. Drill a hole in the center of the top of the pipe cap for the slide hammer mounting bolt.
Click to view attachment
Step 3. Mark around the edges of the cap at 120 degree angles. You can see the template I used in the picture above. This doesn't need to be super precise, obviously.

Step 4. Center punch at the 120 degree marks 8.5mm (0.330") from the edge of the cap. Drill with a #25 drill bit.
Click to view attachment
Step 5. Tap the holes with the #10-24 tap. I bought a cheap drill and tap set from Home Depot for #10-24, came with the right drill bit for the tap. Remember to use a lubricant when tapping the hole (always a good idea ). This cap is cast iron, which is soft and taps very easily.
Click to view attachment
Mmmm... threads...
Click to view attachment
Step 6. With all three holes along the edge drilled and tapped, install the thumbscrews and the slide hammer attachment screw.
Click to view attachment
Here's a shot from the bottom, showing how the thumbscrews will grab into the dust cap groove:
Click to view attachment
Step 7. Attach to the slide hammer...
Click to view attachment
And you're done! Total time to build, about 30mins.

Now to use, put the tool over the dust cap and tighten the thumbscrews into the groove:

One good whack and presto:
jaxdream
QUOTE(type47 @ Nov 1 2011, 10:33 AM) *

I copy alot of stuff from here to dorkiphus, now here's one from dorkiphus to here

http://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showthread.ph...hlight=dust+cap

I'm not member of dorkiphus , I can't see the pics of the goodies .......

Jack
Cap'n Krusty
Most of you seem to be missing the fact that 911 dust caps (AKA grease caps) have a lip meant to be used for prying them off. Guess you spoke before you looked, huh? Happens a lot here .....................

The Cap'n
EdArango
These are all great replies! Thanks everyone. I'm going to try the pipe cover and slide hammer technique this weekend!

Thanks everyone!

ED
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 1 2011, 01:20 PM) *
Most of you seem to be missing the fact that 911 dust caps (AKA grease caps) have a lip meant to be used for prying them off. Guess you spoke before you looked, huh? Happens a lot here .....................

And that lip happens to be a perfect spot for a quick whack with a rubber mallet ...
shades.gif
bcheney
I have used "PB Blaster" penetrant in the past to help loosen things up a bit. You can pick up a can at most any auto parts store department.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.