Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rocker Panel Swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Got my rocker panel back from a body repair guy today. Started the swap and wanted to post a few pictures of the process and of what I found lurking under the old one smash.gif
Allan
Another with the panel off.
Allan
A little closer of the rust. Not too bad I think.
Allan
Found one small hole that I can weld up. Will POR-15 after a good cleaning with a wire brush and drill work on this?
Allan
Last one. I will add more when done.
Jeroen
Looks like you caught it just in time!

cheers,

Jeroen
Root_Werks
Yeah, I think you caught this in time to make it a quick fix. I used POR15 for the first time this week. Seems like great stuff! Only the test of time will tell.

Check this out, not as much as what you had, but still, look at all the dirt packed up there!
john rogers
I pull the rocker panels yearly on our stock 1974 and several times a year on the race car for this very reason. I did three races and got very little klagg from the tires and track and then did one DE event at the stadium in San Diego to do some testing and had about 2 pounds in each side!!!
914werke
Uh... I remove the jack plate and repaire that damage as well sad.gif
BTDT. the OE plates have holes on the top and bottem of the plate, I assume to drain water wacko.gif confused24.gif
These get caked with crap and rust from to the inside the jacktube and long.
at the least take a wire hanger and flashlight and do so exploritorry work.
Allan
I will be doing alot of exploration while I have it off to see if there is some hidden areas. I was also wondering if anyone has ever used shallow head stainless screws to attach the top of the panel along the sill plate to facilitate easier removal for periodic inspections?
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Headrage @ Aug 4 2004, 12:31 PM)
I was also wondering if anyone has ever used shallow head stainless screws to attach the top of the panel along the sill plate to facilitate easier removal for periodic inspections?

You know, I haven't used rivets or screws in years. Doesn't seem to be needed? I haven't had any troubles so far? You have the mounts at each end (fenders) then 3 more screws along the bottom. Seems to hold everything on just fine. So mine are easy to take off 1-2 times a year.

Am I wacked here? I have done some pretty good speeds and well, they're still on! biggrin.gif
red914
i am probably packing enough sand and crud in there for me to bury my head in and thus ignore the problem. wacko.gif

gotta drill out those rivets for a look see... even though i won't like what i find. sad.gif
redshift
From the rear, and front wheel wells...

When you are washing your car (at a high-pressure place) just get down on the ground, and aim the tube up into the rockers, until the water runs clear. Shit will shoot out of the jack tube area like you won't believe.

smile.gif

I do the back, the front, and then the back again.. never had a rust problem down there yet.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.