Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1 1" hole
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
Need to cut 1 1" hole in the rear firewall for a -10 bulkhead T for the accusump. My unibit doesn't go to that size and the one that does is $60.

Can I use a hole saw or large normal drill bit to cut thru the sheetmetal (already have those bits)? Don't want to screw it up.

hole will be right here...

Thanks,

dr
Brad Roberts
Hole saw. That is double thick right there.

B
Brad Roberts
Honestly.. do'nt put it right there. Sooner or later you will need a brace from the control arm ear forward and that area is perfect to tie into. VERY strong right there and the brace wont interfere with any engine setup you run.

B
Brad Roberts
It appears you went "off" a few times. happy11.gif

B
machina
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 5 2004, 09:54 AM)
Honestly.. do'nt put it right there

Thanks for the advice brad, I appreciate it.

The accusump manual valve is really near the centerline but I thought putting the T near the center might interfere with the fan area, brake lines etc. The port into the oil gallies on my motor enter from the right side so I figured somewhere on the right side of the firewall was a good place.

I want to do a clean install, maybe I'll put it higher up where the sheetmetal is not doubled up.

dr
machina
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 5 2004, 09:55 AM)
It appears you went "off" a few times. happy11.gif

Why? Am I walking crooked? confused24.gif

dr
Brad Roberts
That *looks* like dirt in the engine compartment..

Those dimples are where the two sheet metals come together. Otherwise that wall has a 3/4 inch air gap so tying into it next to the dimple for a "ear supoprt" you only get a piece of sheet metal hanging in the breeze.

Did that make sense ?? I'm still half asleep.

B
machina
No, your clear. I get what you mean about the metal joining at that location.

Actually the "dirt" is rust particles. We left too many filings from fabrication and they rusted when they got wet. Next time I'll clean up better after cutting metal.

dr
Brad Roberts
I run a remote valve on the accumsump in the dash with the accusump sitting in the area where the fresh air blower used to sit (within hands reach)

B
machina
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 5 2004, 10:12 AM)
I run a remote valve on the accumsump in the dash with the accusump sitting in the area where the fresh air blower used to sit

Isn't that a long way for the discharge line to go? And you still have to get the oil line thru the firewall right?

I'm just trying to keep it simple.

dr
ChrisFoley
There's nothing wrong with going through that location for your oil line Dave.
Putting a brace from the suspension console to anywhere at the bottom of the firewall is fine. That way you are relying on the floor (which is perfect for the job) as additional reinforcement for the brace.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.