Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How long will the trani hold with 350 tq?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
Aight, so Im guessing that my 350 will make somewhere in the neighborhood of 350 tq... Now Im fine with less than that.. and Im fine with more than that... But I'll be tuning it to get less (how persay would I do that?)...

But my main question is that, I plan on taking my car to a dyno in 2 weeks or so. Would that 350tq destroy my trani instantly? Or how long would it take? I know the rule of 300 hp and 300 tq... Keep in mind that my trani is no new, its got some miles. I also have a spare trani, and another one avalible to me.

I know that impact is what kills the trani, and I have a cam that suposedly puts the power in the 2.5k-5.5k range.. (this is so that if i stomp on the gas, it wont blow the trani up...) Which should help the initial impact be less.. when the dyno guy stomps on the gas in 4th gear or so..

Thanks, more questions later...

Andrew
Joe Bob
Depends on the tranny's condition in the first place....could last one launch or thirty years. Keep the burnouts to a minimum and have a spare to swap in when it does break......

In my experience....having a spare defeats Murphy's Prime Law....you only need something when you don't have it.
Andyrew
I've got the spare.. and I was thinking of spending a couple hundred on swaping the gears (when I get da money).

I dont plan on driving it really hard... I plan on blocking off the secondarys when auto xing... Just cant use 300 hp on the auto x course.. but I should be able to use 200...

Im guessing the trani has like 100k+ miles on it.. average, I know..

Andrew
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 5 2004, 01:13 PM)
I dont plan on driving it really hard...

famous last words ....

you're young. you'll brake it!

write it off as "life-experience". you'll be able to laugh about it when you're 40.
rolleyes.gif Andy
Andyrew
Im talkin relative man! lol

No burn outs (I may go one or two good one's with water, and my hard as rock tires... Just so that I have some good pics/video of my 914 doing a burn out... ie new avitar.. lol)

street racing is boring... light goes green, I win... woop de do. laugh.gif

I'll be taking the car easy (it will be daily driver) till I get a stronger trani, half shafts, some reinforcement.. bla bla bla....

The hardest thing is going to be the dyno... Im worried that one strong pull on the dyno with 350tq, is going to blow my trani..
Howard
1] Don't use first gear
2] Don't use first gear
3] Smoothly apply full throttle in lower gears
4] Don't use first gear
5] Or, run stock size tires so wheelspin will be your safety valve
6] Don't use first gear

Why dyno? Just say it has 400bhp @ 6800rpm like all the SBC guys do
Did I miss anything?
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 5 2004, 09:56 AM)
... I'll be tuning it to get less [torque] (how persay would I do that?)...

Just about anything you can think of that makes more power will result in making less peak torque. Build the engine to make more top-end power, and to move the power peak up to ~6000 RPM, and it will make less low-end torque and generally a lower peak torque figure.

And your transmission will probably be slightly less stressed.

--DD
Andyrew
Dave thats what I want to do... I have plans for an aluminum intake, single plane, roller rockers, I already have a mild cam in there.. suposed power band is 2500-5500.. I wanted something higher.. 3000-6000... but they didnt have anything like that.. Comp cams had a "extreme energy cam" suposedly 3500 -7500 or so... but mucho money.

Howard, I know about first gear.. and I plan on not using it. period.

I dont have stock sized tires... 225 and up are what I have.. Actually, all I have are 225's.. lol every rim I have is 7 in.. dad has all the wide stuff.

I plan on being "gentle" with the throttle application.
bondo
No real experience here, just passing on what I've heard...

Water burnouts = BAD

Apparently you get everything nice and warm, tires get sticky, dry patch forms under tire, and BAM.. tires stick, and all that high RPM energy goes into your transmission. You can generate significanlty more torque for an instant (with all that gyroscopic momentum) than the engine will produce continuously on a dyno. I bet you could trash a 901 with a 200 ft-lb engine if you had wide enough tires, enough RPM, and a grabby clutch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.