Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Charity and Business
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
Howard
I believe we should dedicate WCC 2005 to a worthwhile charity for a number of reasons.

1] It will loosen sponsors' checkbooks
2] Since there is no 'club' as such to back us up, I want to be able to 'overcharge' participants and sponsors so we will have enough $$ to cover all costs
3] Excess would go to the chosen charity.
4] Entry fee and sponsors donations would be tax deductible.
5] More valuable items donated and could be raffled, creating yet another profit potential.
6] BS stuff, like car wash tips, would again go into the pot.

We need to raise at least $10,000 to cover costs. If we do get 100 entries, that's $15k and we can throw one hell of a party.

I've done this before putting on golf tournaments, and it's amazing how much money can be raised. When a vendor has some old crap sitting around, they can donate it and take tax credit for the full retail value. It's a win/win for all with really full goodie bags and lots of door prizes. My personal favorite is Special Olympics, but other ideas are welcome. You can go to any business in your neighborhood and get donations. The Hotel has already offered.

Thoughts??

And OT, it seems like the club's internal email program doesn't work as well as it should, with messages getting lost. Please use phone or 'real' email address.

Howard Dranow
800.622.1602 office
818.889.1414 home
818.889.0866 fax
info@thehowardagency.com
Jeroen
It's cool with me

cheers,

Jeroen
seanery
I've got a charity that's become very important to my family. On Aug 2nd my dad was diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis exactly 2 years to the day after his mother died from that disease. sad.gif

Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation
VegasRacer
The Las Vegas PCA has a major charity event every year. Members will invite their favorite charity to make a presentation before we decide. We ask the charity to be involved in some way with the event. What seems to work best is if some of their local members are willing to set up a few tables and sell hot dogs, sodas etc. for lunch. This means more $'s for the charity plus the PCA members have a easy option for lunch.

I think it is great if a charity is willing to be personally involved instead of just sending them a check in the mail. If it is a kids charity, a ride in a Porsche is always a big hit. A charity event is also a great way to get more free publicity for the club. Invite the local media to the event. A good human interest story is a nice break from all the depressing news in most papers and broadcast.
skline
agree.gif

Thats a great Idea John, If we got the media involved it may make for better attendance at future events as well. This could turn out to be very beneficial for the club.
drew365
Very good idea. I'm cool with any charity you pick. The POC event at Laguna Seca in two weeks is a charity event for Make a Wish. I'll report as to how they handle it and whether any kids show up for rides.
Howard
Haven't figured out how to attach a word document so here's the text. Letterhead would be the 914club banner logo shown above. Everyone can send them, but without a followup phone call, ya won't get much. Comments and editing please.

Sponsor Letter.

Date:

Dear Sponsor,

Your are receiving this letter because you have a vested interest in cars. The Porsche 914world.com West Coast Classic will be held April 28 through May 2, 2005. 2004’s premiere event attracted more than 70 cars and 100 participants, and we are expecting to exceed that this coming year.

Entry fees will more than cover anticipated expenses, but this seems a great opportunity to raise money for a worthwhile cause,, so we are dedicating the next event to benefit Special Olympics. In addition to taking the kids for a top down sports car ride, we want to raise some money for this wonderful organization. So you are getting the hit.

There will be a number of events that have sponsorship opportunities. Golf tournament, car show, car clinic, driver education at a local track, kite flying contest, BBQ, and whatever else we can think of between now and then.

Donate cash, sponsor a breakfast or lunch, a car show, the track day, whatever. A few of cases of bottled water, morning coffee and donuts would be a hit. Items for the ‘goodie bags’, and things of greater value that would be used in a raffle or auction to raise more. Get your name out among these big spenders and do something nice for the kids.

Any $$ amount or items will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Your name, address, and signature.

Note: checks payable to 914world.com, items delivered to you or my office.
drew365
Howard; how about mentioning how they will get exposure. Possible coverage in Excellance, local newspaper? Also it might be good to identify some of the more likely potential sponsors and gear a letter specifically at them.
Howard
Drew, different letter for the big hitters, but I'll be we could raise quite a few $$ from non automotive sources.

I'll sponsor the Brad/MikeZ vs. Otto/Jake tag team wrestling event. Alfred could be guest of honor and referee.

Talking to Special Olympics person later today, but a lot of press comes with that from local papers, anyway.
rick 918-S
I have a suggestion. you know how you sponsor a runner or walker for charity.. Like 5 cents a mile or something.. Could we incorperate something like this for the cruise? Some kind of pledge form.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.