Full Version: I'm just about pissed.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
pete-stevers
its all abooot self worth and the lack thereof... drunk.gif
and how 914s just dont seem to bolster our lack of self esteem piratenanner.gif
thats why we all hang together!!
vwsamba
I'd say its the wheels that are killing your street cred, try some detailed fuchs wheels. In my experience it is the person not the car that attracts the comments anyway, my friend is sickeningly handsom and gets lots of attention in a beater 912 whereas i drive a ferrari and no one ever says anything to me hissyfit.gif Seriously though a car should be for you alone to enjoy driving.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(914Bryan @ Nov 12 2011, 09:30 AM) *

Hmmmm...I don't know what you mean...I was at a stop light in Newport Beach with my teener and my dog in the front seat.

Next to me was a paper plated Carrera 4 Cabrolet with a hot babe in the passenger seat (and I mean hot!). The people crossing the street were paying attention to my 4K ride and not the 120K+ babe ride. In fact, one dude looked at the driver of the Carrera and said "You need to learn somthing from this guy (me), his car is cool"!

I actually felt sorry for that guy. What a bunch of humble cheese he had to eat.

So along with everyone else on this post, don't know what you mean about the attention factor!!!!!

It's your dog that was the tie breaker, not the hot chick...there's plenty of those too in Cali biggrin.gif
Jaymann
I think you must not be driving it right,that car is sweet!!!Remember its all in the attitude.Have alot of fun and the attention will follow.I say just make yourself happy,forget what others think. Jason
John
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 12 2011, 05:44 PM) *

Is your rear ride height really like the picture ?

If so no wonder it looks like your wearing floods.

I'm going to guess that it's actually lower than it was in that picture because it is a challenge to get the car on my lift as it normally sits. (I recall 4.5" to the rear donuts to the pavement.)

QUOTE(vwsamba @ Nov 12 2011, 07:59 PM) *

I'd say its the wheels that are killing your street cred, try some detailed fuchs wheels. In my experience it is the person not the car that attracts the comments anyway, my friend is sickeningly handsom and gets lots of attention in a beater 912 whereas i drive a ferrari and no one ever says anything to me hissyfit.gif Seriously though a car should be for you alone to enjoy driving.gif

I may need to sell some more /6 engine sheet metal to finance some 7x16 fuchs wheels..........
sixnotfour
Go crazy and polish the cookies. Save your money for the flairs and bigger wheels
get off my lawn
Iffn you want attention, buy a honda civic and cut the springs until the ride is so harsh is loosens your fillings. Then put a 5" tach on the dash of your honda, even though it's an automatic.

Then bolt a couple fire extinguishers to your PVC roll bar (which you paint black), then bolt on a folger's coffee can for an exhaust tip.
Oh, and spike your hair.

That'll get you noticed.
Black22
QUOTE(get off my lawn @ Nov 14 2011, 04:49 PM) *

Iffn you want attention, buy a honda civic and cut the springs until the ride is so harsh is loosens your fillings. Then put a 5" tach on the dash of your honda, even though it's an automatic.

Then bolt a couple fire extinguishers to your PVC roll bar (which you paint black), then bolt on a folger's coffee can for an exhaust tip.
Oh, and spike your hair.

That'll get you noticed.

lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif........wait a minute....do know my neighbors? blink.gif
John
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 13 2011, 10:33 PM) *

Go crazy and polish the cookies. Save your money for the flairs and bigger wheels

Already have flares and bigger wheels. Just didn't want to cut it yet.
abnrdo
If you wanted to get noticed you should have gone with:

IPB Image
RickS
Great idea about polishing the cookies and saving your money. IMNSHO the black centers are just plain boring - yeah I know they are supposed to be racy but from a distance you might as well as black hub caps. Another way to go is like the car above (a stunner) is to ditch the cookies and go with standard Porsche Fuchs in 7". I went from standard 5 lug Fuchs 6" and the car looked nice but, ahemmm, boring. I went to deep polished lips 6 and 7s on a lowered car and now it is a head turner. Amazing what wheels can do - and my car is silver like yours. Sorry but no pics and the car is at the shop undergoing a rhinoplasty - front oil cooler.

I also have a 911 (aka tail dragger) and it gets plenty of attention - but the wrong kind. Ricers want to race, a-holes in pickups tailgate, and it seems to bring out the worst in the worst. (could give a sh+t about status). I prefer to drive the teener because it is a great ride, nondescript (I.e. I can get away with far more) and the a-holes don't know what it is and leave me alone.

If you need attention, get a tat like Tyson or some polished wheels or a set of pedaled Fuchs.
zymurgist
QUOTE(RickS @ Nov 15 2011, 12:50 AM) *

If you need attention, get a Harley and remove the mufflers. happy11.gif

dflesburg
John,

take the muffler off and put some megaphones on. That will get thier attention.

at least according to South Park... Vrrrmmm Vrrrrmmm!!!! VRRRMMMM!!!!
broomhandle
Mine daily driver is a beater, and i get thumbs up and looks all the time. And people in traffic always ask if its a 2.0 which it isnt.

but, i have also had people at the gas station ask me if it was a MG. and one guy said, is that an italian Porsche? that one i could not hold in the laugh....

i also all the time get people come up to me and tell me stories when they owned a 914 and how much fun they had with it... and thats what its all about.....

wndsrfr
Sooo, driving back to Virginia from DE at CMP & stop for a soda at some gas station off I95 near Florence SC, called the wife to let her know it's going OK. Sweet young thing leans out of a riced Accord and in her down-South peachy smooth drawl says "Ahhh like youwr cahrrr...is it a Ferrari??" Wife hears it all & I'm like still trying to explain 2 months later.....
I finally figured out that it was the wheels....the pretty silver '99 Boxster spokes must have done it.
So, I've gone over to the dark side with a set of freshly painted Cups.....should take care of that problem....
Phil Plummer
QUOTE(John @ Nov 11 2011, 07:35 PM) *

As the title goes, I'm just about pissed.

My car gets virtually no recognition. If I wasn't into 914's like I am, I might consider jumping ship to be a tail-dragger.

Perhaps I did my work too incognito.

Perhaps it looks too boring.

Perhaps most folks have no idea what the hell they are looking at.

Perhaps it's TOO MUCH of a SLEEPER!

Nobody seems to know what they are looking at when my 914 is at an event. Last year, I even went 914-6 with the steering column and EVERYTHING is functional. One of my last efforts will be to put the 914-6 tank where it belongs (in the stock location). After that, the only thing left on my list is to do the flares.

Right now it's a silver, stock looking 914 with nearly all 914-6 parts (with the exception of the wheels and those are 5-lug cookie cutters).

What does it take to get noticed when trying to maintain a semi-stock appearing 914?

Yours truly,

Mister Pissed

OK if the car looks good it coud be car of the month I mean narrow bodies have before....Maybe too many dont know what they are looking is a point you made too well . I recently had a conversation with a non 914 owner but who has a stack of porsche books and is a self proclaimed porsche appreciater and guru . But this man was adamant that 914/6 always came with flared body Obviously he spent too much time looking at all other porsches, although his knowledge of other models is good and he wishes to add a 914 /4 or 914/6 to his 924 and 944 turbo colection -his lack of knowledge was apaulling except for the fact he was aware of lemans, watkins glenn and several other 914 vertures. There is too little Real Porsche 914/4 914/6 and 916 knowledge and info in the mainstream Porsche books even "Porsche excellence was expected " had more than most books but still to little on the 914 variants. A single book needs to be published on all mid engine porsches not just specificaly 914 as such a book would attract and expand knowledge only into the 914 fold and not all Porsche enthusiists.
No one can truthfullly deny that a 914 with a little more balls behind those 2 seats is a very formidable track contender- Such a book with 917 904.550 variants etc and even the 1st 356 and so forth is greatly needed to educate and to add reading pleasure to the appetite for knowledge all porscheephiles have.Phil
Phil Plummer
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Nov 15 2011, 08:01 PM) *

Sooo, driving back to Virginia from DE at CMP & stop for a soda at some gas station off I95 near Florence SC, called the wife to let her know it's going OK. Sweet young thing leans out of a riced Accord and in her down-South peachy smooth drawl says "Ahhh like youwr cahrrr...is it a Ferrari??" Wife hears it all & I'm like still trying to explain 2 months later.....
I finally figured out that it was the wheels....the pretty silver '99 Boxster spokes must have done it.
So, I've gone over to the dark side with a set of freshly painted Cups.....should take care of that problem....

Whoa nice move to the black But where did you get the side air scoops? and can I incorporate some such side air scoop into my 914/6 with metal flares?-Phil
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Phil Plummer @ Feb 20 2012, 06:46 PM) *

Whoa nice move to the black But where did you get the side air scoops? and can I incorporate some such side air scoop into my 914/6 with metal flares?-Phil

Those were put on by the ppo who did the 916 bumpers flares & custom spoiler. they're fg as are my flares, don't know where he got the parts..... I just opened them up more to actually provide some useful flow to the brakes. Will post pics tomorrow.
Robert21
I allways get asked what year it is or i had one of those back in the day. They like the car alot. Was asked to be in a parade with some ladies in Seal Beach xmas day parade. But if noone liked it , its my baby and i love it.
MoveQik
QUOTE(davidj @ Nov 11 2011, 07:55 PM) *

Thats wierd because I live in So Cal where hot exotic cars are seen daily, and my 914-4 1.7 is a plain jane. And almost on a daily basis I get complimented on how cool it is from the guys and how cute from the girls. So... Maybe you should move. poke.gif

agree.gif Here in Scottsdale you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a $150k+ car. Nobody says two words to them. I pull up in my 914 and can VERY seldom fill up my tank without someone asking me about it or telling me their 914 story. I have decided the 914 is a little bit like Woodstock....everyone was there. biggrin.gif
wndsrfr
OK, here's some closeups now that I've opened up the back edge of the scoops. They are pre-fabbed fg parts, look like something off of a '70s muscle car hood or whatever. The back edge was originally blocked off leaving only about a 1 1/2 inch opening aimed directly inboard. They're attached with pop rivets.
I cut off the back edge which really opened them up & will give nice airflow to the inside of the rear wheels & I'm planning to add a baffle along the edge of the long arch to aim that blast at the brake backing plate which I've opened up a bit to accept more cooling air. The horizontal bars are aluminum & appear to be custom made....
RickS
I would lose the aluminum bars for a clean non-faux Testarosa Miami Vice look.
John
The best advice (in my opinion) from this thread was to install 5-lug fuchs style wheels.

As it works out, I found some economically friendly wheels of the same size as the cookie cutters in the fuchs style. I have cleaned them up (sanded out the big scratches and re-polished them). I plan on touching up the black backgrounds and installing tires on them, but at least my car will be wearing fuchs style wheels soon.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I now have a set of (5) 15x7 wheels for this car and will be replacing the cookie cutters with these.
smj
Those Fuchs look great - I hope you like them on the car. Maybe I'll give that a try after the more basic needs are taken care of on mine...

I'm just waiting for the day somebody asks me if my slant-nose -6 is a Fiat-Bertone X1/9... rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.