Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did a search, found no info..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SpecialK
Does anyone know of a place to get complete rear caliper rebuild kits? I'm getting a blister on my index finger from clicking through sites only to find that they only sell partial kits. headbang.gif My rears need a complete make-over, leaking out of everywhere.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin
lapuwali
Pelican sells a kit with all of the seals in it.
McMark
Including the e-brake parts? idea.gif
SpecialK
Pelican was my first choice, but there kits only contain the boots and piston seals (as far as I can tell by their discription). I need the halve seals and adjusting screw seals included. The ones I got for my '73 I got from GPR a couple of years ago they had everything, but appearantly they don't list the rear kits on their site anymore. Mittlemotor's site won't come up, something wrong?
IronHillRestorations
I've got em. Send me a pm or e-mail me at: a914man@netease.net

PK cool.gif
914 Network
lapuwali
Pelican's kit is complete. The description is bad, I'll admit. All of the seals were there when I bought them to repair a leak at the e-brake arm. Note that this leak is actually caused by a failed O-ring in the inboard adjuster. There are no seals at the e-brake arm itself. This kit also included the seals between the caliper halves.
McMark
If there are no seals for the e-brake arm, it doesn't sound very complete.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Aug 7 2004, 08:34 AM)
If there are no seals for the e-brake arm, it doesn't sound very complete.

I don't know if any of the caliper rebuild kits contain seals for the parking brake lever. I don't believe it is inside the pressure curcuit anyway.

PK cool.gif
lapuwali
Yeah, when I said there are no seals at the e-brake arm, I meant there are no seals IN THE CALIPER. The only seal on that side of the caliper is the O-ring on the inboard adjuster shaft. That's the seal that lets go and causes a leak that appears to be coming from the e-brake arm. If that adjuster O-ring is intact, there shouldn't be any brake fluid anywhere near the e-brake arm itself.

A complete kit only needs the adjuster O-rings, the flat O-rings between the caliper halves, the piston seals, and the piston bellows. Some kits also seem to include the snap rings that hold the bellows in place.

The tech article on Pelican mentions removing a plug above the e-brake arm, but I can't imagine why that would be necessary unless the e-brake arm itself is broken.
McMark
I have a line on COMPLETE ebrake rebuild kits. When you pull the ebrake lever shaft out of the caliper there is a seal right there. On the spring side. My source has kits that include these seals. I know the one on my caliper is leaking.
gregrobbins
Mark, what is your source? And what is the cost.

Anyone else had a e-brake seal problem? How likely is it to go bad and need replacing?
lapuwali
Mark, are you talking /4 or /6 rear calipers?

When I rebuilt my /4 rear calipers a couple of months ago, there was no seal on the e-brake arm. The one on the inboard adjuster was leaking, and fluid was pouring out of the e-brake arm area. Replacing the seal on the adjuster fixed the leak. This was on an early car ('71). As far as I could tell, the calipers had never been rebuilt before.

Unless the later or /6 rear calipers are very different, I can't see what a seal on the e-brake arm would be for, except perhaps as a shield to keep dirt/water OUT of the e-brake mechanism.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.