Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 starter...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
So.... Brad, you said that a 914 starter just wont do it... Ok..

All you v8 guys.. What are you running starter wise?

911? (will it bolt right up?)

High tq, lightweight starter?

Other?

Danke
Andrew
SLITS
I don't own a V8 914, but get one of the $200 Nipondenso Gear reduction w/new nose high torque starters - it will turn it.

Some are made my R&B Performance - Parker, AZ.
Andyrew
Will a 911 starter work?

I can buy a 911 starter for sub 50 bucks... hopefully

or a high tq starter for 130 bucks

currently, If the 911 starter will work... I'll buy that..

Anyone running a 911 starter?

Andrew
skline
I am running a High torque gear reduction starter like the one Slits is talking about. Its the same one I ran on my 2270. It had a lot of compression and I figured it wouldnt hurt to run it on that but when I sold it, I took the starter off and gave the guy a stock starter which worked just fine.
Andyrew
I know, I know.... but someone currently just statched up the high tq starter that I was going to pick up...

Will a 914 starter, start the v8?

Will a 911 starter work for a couple months?

Eh?

Andrew
ArtechnikA
there are at least two early 911 starters - the 'regular' one and the 1,5HP one.
Andyrew
What about the later starters? Will they work?

Im thinkin 80's...

Andrew
neo914-6
Andrew,
Try this guy for used conversion parts Wrecked V8 914
Felix
Andyrew
I've got everything... (well, once I scamper over to steves house to pick up a small few items..)

I Just need to know if an 80's 911 starter will work fine (and bolt up..)

Brad? I know you told me earlyer that I need at least a 911 starter... Comments?

Andrew
SLITS
Use the 1.2 kW 911 starter. The stock starter is 0.7 kW.

Porsche alternated years in which they used them. I can't check until Monday for actual dates.
Andyrew
Aight, I'll do a search for the info.

Thanks slits.
bryanthompson
I don't know if this will help you or not:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/r...ramblings-1.htm

Has a lot of info on which years/models used which starters.
Andyrew
Thanks for the link! Just what I needed to see.

Oh and incase your wondering.. This was why I needed to know...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...me=STRK:MEWN:IT

biggrin.gif

Andrew
johnelliott
Kennedy makes one that works, but they (the owner especially) are very difficult to deal with and the unit is very heavy. The first starter they sent did not work and they charged me a restocking fee to get a second one. (I was in a hurry and went along with their garbage.) The second worked for years with a Chevy.

Next time I plan to visit a custom starter place near by and see if they can't put something together for me.

Larger Bosch starters would work in warm climates with low compression, but they do strain with a race engine.
mayord2001
A 911 starter will work for several weeks to a few months but you will need one of the high torque /reduction units if you want longevity and reliability.
datapace
I agree about the gear reduction starter. Used a pick-and-pull 930 starter, even with a fully charged battery it couldn't turn over my 327. Got a Tilton gear reduction starter and it worked like a champ the first crank. It was several years ago, the starter was about $200 or so.

-datapace
rick 918-S
My 928 motor has 10:1 compression. 911 starter spins it fine. $ 50.00 no core charge from Oklahoma foriegn
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(rich 918-S @ Aug 9 2004, 06:33 PM)
My 928 motor has 10:1 compression. 911 starter spins it fine.

and this is where the discussion gets interesting...

the 928 engine has some pretty interesting cams that help it make power at rpm ranges most 6-liter engines don't run. big duration camshafts tend to lower the dynamic compression ratio at cranking and idle speeds.

the 1,5HP "turbo" 911 starter was made to start an engine with 6,5:1 static compression.

the numerical compression ratio is only part of the equation - the camshafts play a big part in determining the absolute cylinder pressure at cranking speed - which is all the starter motor sees ...
Andyrew
Well I have about 9:1 compresion ratio.. tad over stock. So, we'll see how it goes...

I have plans on going with a big ol high tq, gear reduction starter, but currently I couldnt pass up the 911 starter for 25 bucks total...

We'll see if it works... (heck, im going to try and start the sbc with my 914 starter.. lol, maaaybe... hopes and prayers.. and alot of battery juice..

Andrew
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 9 2004, 08:44 PM)
I have plans on going with a big ol high tq, gear reduction starter, but currently I couldnt pass up the 911 starter for 25 bucks total...

what you need is one of those ...
Brad Roberts
His 911 starter will start it fine. I know of at least 6 V8 conversion cars locally that get driven 2-3 times a week with 911 starters. The nose cone bearing goes out first.

Save your money Andrew... buy the gear reduction when you can.

(I stock them)

B
Andyrew
Sooo.... Brad.....

How much?

biggrin.gif

I wana buy something from you guys, lol, but im such a cheapscape... And when I can post a link of a high tq gear reduction starter for 95 (plus shipping) buy it now on ebay... Its just hard... lol.

Andrew
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.