Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: heat exchanger
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
opera guy
Regarding the part known as "Heat Exchanger," does that include the exhaust manifold (header)?

Can the heat exchanger be bought without buying the header? i see quite a number of the people here mention Stainless Steel heat exchangers, but its never referred to as header or exhaust manifold, why? just porsche lingo? conversely, when you buy SS heat exchanger, are you getting the header portion as well?

Since i need both parts (if they are indeed separate) are there OEM or aftermarket ones available? if so, where is the best source (Pelican's out) or am i stuck with getting hand-me-downs? (not that there's anything wrong with it)

this is for a 73 2.0, btw, thanks in advance
Rusty
Hey Opera Dude smile.gif

Headers are a set of pipes between the exhaust ports of the engine and the muffler.

Heat exchangers ARE headers, with boxes built (permanently, they do not disassemble) around them to guide air around the headers, help warm that air up, and then direct it into the passenger compartment so we have heat. smile.gif

Headers = exhaust with no heat
Heat exchangers = exhaust with heat

When I first got into 914s, I was confused about the terminology, too. smile.gif

Hope this helps,
Rusty smoke.gif
opera guy
thanks for clearing this up for me.

Performance Products (the "other" pp) has it for $39 blink.gif must be a typo, here's a pic and link

http://www.performanceproducts.com/Product...&producttype=20
opera guy
duh, forgot pix
watsonrx13
Hey Opera Dude, you might want to check the item again, it is the SS heat exchanger BRACKET, not the heater/header that you thought.
The add's description is 'Bracket (Bolts To Rear Tran Case, 1 Required) '.

But you were right, it was too good to be true. smoke.gif
opera guy
where does it say "bracket" on their site?
rhodyguy
what a f-ed up ad. i read that as he's for $39.95 also. plus those are not 2 liter ones. note the tall kick up on the muffler end. if you had a 1.7/1.8 exhaust setup you would be dissapointed. i would buy he's at that price all day long for resale.

kevin
Allan
Look around on the 914 related BBS's. I found a nice clean used set of 2.0 SS HE's for a hundred from a guy in Canada. boldblue.gif
rhodyguy
a set for a c-note was a great buy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.