Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuchs is Rear, Empis in the Front
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
Just wanted to drop some photos of the 5 lug conversion progress. The rear is done, the engine area is degreased, all suspension components painted, POR-15 everywhere. I think the next step will be to put the tired motor back in, and see how my new suspension console holds up.

If you were ever deciding between Fuchs and Empis, here is the photo for you. wub.gif
thomasotten
Another...
Brad Roberts
Looks good man.. looks good. I forget what engine/trans setup you plan to run ??

B
thomasotten
I kinda like the "jacked up" look when the motor is out.
thomasotten
Brad:

This is what I have right now, a 1.8 big bore. It needs a rebuild, and as you can see, I need heat exchangers, and all that.

Right now, I am gathering facts. I plan to build either

1) A Rabby inspired 2.2

2) Find a 911 T engine.

Either way, I want to do it right. I am going to do a cost comparison shortly.

Advice?
thomasotten
forgot photo.
Brad Roberts
Advice:

Find a stock injected running 73/74 GA cased 2.0 and enjoy the car. Save your money and build the 1.8 into a 2270 or something in the near future.

B
watsonrx13
Looks good dude.

agree.gif with Brad, get a motor in it ASAP and enjoy your hard work, it will sustain you through the continuing restoration.

mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif

Congrats
GWN7
As were spending Your money.... B mentioned he had a 3.6 sitting somewhere... wink.gif biggrin.gif

I'd do the anything and drive.... smile.gif
thomasotten
Ok guys, I followed the board's advice: "Do anything and drive." I cleaned up the old "bus engine", cleaned all the leaves out of the tin, installed new pushrod tube seals (with Jake's no-leak trick), rebuilt the dual 34 carbs, installed a new rear main seal, and a tranny main shaft seal. Cleaned the tranny up real well. I had an old-time VW mechanic help me today to get the motor started on the ground, and all tuned up. It runs pretty good and fired right up (after sitting 7 years). The throttle response needs a little work on the left carb. We may need new plug wires on that side. It pops a bit when that car is throttled by itself.

Overall, I was happy to see, hear, and smell the engine running again. Look, I even repainted my Monza exhaust that I hate. "Do anything and drive".
thomasotten
My fans echo the same...
red914
good looking car. how do you like the dual 34 ICTs? mine go on tomorrow!

and is it just me, or are the 5-spoke fuchs about the best looking all around wheel anywhere? wub.gif your car rawks! clap56.gif
thomasotten
The 34 ICTs are fine. My engine is a 1911cc, and they work fine. I get very poor performance in the morning when the engine is cold, but after it warms up it is fine. But I had the same problem when I had a single carb.

agree.gif The 5-spoke fuchs truly is the best looking wheel ever made. You could put those on a Pinto and the Pinto would look cool.

BTW, I spied a complete 5-lug conversion on Ebay last night. Just in case anyone's looking for parts.
d7n7master
Nice job!!! beerchug.gif Mines been in ICU since last Dec.
I Por15'ed mine too. Damn - it's DARK in there now that it's all black. Hell-hole or Black-hole? What's the difference? w00t.gif Go for a drive & try to NOT smile. Couldn't do it, could ya?
Oh and - cool pit crew!!! agree.gif
thesey914
That is a 'well nice' colour scheme. The Fuchs make the car look so much better. They're the ultimate wheels the 914
Brad Roberts
I see a drivable 914 in your future... that 1911 will be fun to drive. It is a good engine combo when the cam is matched nicely with a pair of 2.0 heads and dual 40 carbs.

B
thomasotten
Well, these 34's are giving me trouble now. Lots of backfiring through the carbs. I guess I can get bigger jets? Yes/No? confused24.gif I need to replace my ignition cables to be sure, because they are all twisted, but I'm betting it is the carbs.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Aug 29 2004, 03:52 PM)
Well, these 34's are giving me trouble now.  Lots of backfiring through the carbs.  I guess I can get bigger jets?  Yes/No?   confused24.gif I need to replace my ignition cables to be sure, because they are all twisted, but I'm betting it is the carbs.

i thought dual single barrel 34's were for 1.7 displacement and smaller? confused24.gif, like on a 1600cc T1
thomasotten
No, they sell this kit still at Tweeks. I don't think they are prefered, but they work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.