Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cylinders 3 & 4 flooding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tradisrad
I just got my injectors back from Witchhunter; they slightly improved the flow and the injectors are better balanced (their data sheet).

I painted the injector bodies and let them dry. I had them on a sheet of paper which blew off of the table and dumped all the injectors on to the floor. I could not see any damage.

I installed them and fired up the car, but it ran like crap (it was running well before the injectors were cleaned). So, I started to poke around checking for spark from all 4 wires and it was present. But now I could smell gas and found a puddle beneath my car dripping from the heas exchanger/muffler flange connection on the drivers side.

I pulled the injector 3 & 4, placed them in glass jars and turned the ignition on; they squirted once and did not leak. I then started then engine and it immeditely reved up and the injectors were spraying; it appeared they were pulsing, but with the revving engine it was hard to tell if they were pulsing or on solid.

Cylinders 1 & 2 seem to be running normally.

I am not sure why these cylinders are flood. Does any one have any ideas?
underthetire
Pull 1 and 2 and see if they match the output of 3 and 4.
tradisrad
QUOTE(underthetire @ Nov 14 2011, 07:37 AM) *

Pull 1 and 2 and see if they match the output of 3 and 4.

that will be this afternoon.
I am baffled by this as nothing else has changed. Could hitting the floor damage the injectors?
Tom_T
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Nov 14 2011, 08:49 AM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Nov 14 2011, 07:37 AM) *

Could hitting the floor damage the injectors?

Yes, or gotten crud into the teeny-tiny jets on them (could happen with paint overspray when you painted them too if not masked off).

It sounds like sticking injectors are flooding those cylinders. You could try a swap to the other 2 & if it still floods, then it's injectors - not something else in the EFI system.

You can also do the ole injector in a clear jar trick, have someone crank it to see if they're even shutting off.

Did you try them before painting, to see if all 4 worked properly?

IMHO painting these is not a good idea for the above reasons.
tradisrad
I did not try them before painting as they came back with a data sheet and it did not seem necessary.
When they are cleaned all of the facotry paint is removed and the injector bodies are bare metal. So, it's paint or rust. Of course they were masked off with attention to not gum up the pintle.

I'm going to switch the injectors to the other side this afternoon as well as squirt all 4 into jars and compare..

Edit; update.
I pulled all 4 injectors and measured the viewed the spray patterns and all were extremely similar. I put them back in and my issue seems to be gone. Hmm. I don't like a ghost issue.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.