Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jim in Co
First post on the forum for me. I'm thinking of jumping into the 914 deep end. I have found a car that is relatively rust free but is going to need quite a bit of TLC. I'm thinking of doing a full rebuild. The car doesn't have an engine, will it be difficult to find one? I don't mind doing a rebuild if I have to. By the way, I am looking at a 74 914/2.0. Thanks in advance.

Jim
Joe Bob
Welcome.....depends on your final objective...stock, near stock or screw it....let's play..... mueba.gif
Eric_Shea
Welcome to the board!

Please save a 914.

Now on to your question... it really depends on what you mean by
relatively rust free
and how good you are at welding.

Do you know or have you read about all the areas for rust?

There are some "standard" areas such as battery boxes and engine shelf pockets. Right longitudinals and both jack posts seem to be the worst. If your rear taillight seals were bad then the back 1/2 of the trunk floor will need to be replaced. If your rear window wasn't sealed then the rear 1/2 of your floor pan will be gone. Sail panels can be bad at the bottom where the factory foam was applied. Same goes for the metal above the rear taillights. Cowls can rust and they seem to go around the seals between the fender and cowl... look closely before you waltz in.

A good 914 can be relatively inexpensive at $5-6k.

A bad 914 can be relatively expensive at $500.00
Jim in Co
It has been in Arizona so there isn't a lot of rust. I read the FAQ section at Pelican Parts so I haven't had a chance to look at the car after reading the rust areas. I will check it again after reading. I also ordered his book on buying a 941.

For the engine, I would like to get a 2.0 liter or perhaps play with going up to a six. Are engines available?

Thanks,
Jim
Eric_Shea
Forgot to reply on that... yeah, sure. Engines and trannys are fairly easy to come by.
vortrex
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 8 2004, 01:39 PM)
A good 914 can be relatively inexpensive at $5-6k.

A bad 914 can be relatively expensive at $500.00

greatest 914 words ever spoken.

I will never understand the people who get "cheap" 914's and then put $10k into them to have a $5k car. spend the $5k and drive it from day one. if you want to work on a car, believe me, you will still fulfill that desire with the best of 914's.
Robert21
icon8.gif i wish i had got the good advice you are getting
i bought a car not know what i was getting into .
spend alot of time and money
when i should have bought a $5000 car to start with .
just my thinking now?
seanery
Jim,
welcome to the club! We've got a good contingent of folks from Colorado. I think most of them are up nearer to I-70, but you aren't that far away. I love your part of the state. I was looking at property in Texas Creek a couple years ago wub.gif
Gint
Welcome to the Club Jim! Drop me an email and we'll get you on the local list. We can hook you up with parts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.