Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: How many 914 fans/owners are musicians?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Dr Evil
It is always interesting to see what we have in common considering that we come from varied walks of life on this site. I have tried to go to other forums and have been largely dissatisfied, and sometimes pissed off at how the people are on them. I have met several hundred of you from this site and could not ask for a better group of people to hang with. Besides our love of the 914, how many of you also play instruments?

As many of you know, I am a musician. I ask the above question from curiosity and because I have an ulterior motive. I have a friend that is Beta testing his new site:

JamZoom

...which is for musicians.

There are other sites out there for musicians, but this one is intended to fill a void/niche that those seem to be missing:

*Content and community site in one. (forums and press releases and videos etc)
*Ability to post videos on the site
*Ability to post videos in the threads
*All new technologies (html5 etc.)
*One stop shop for musicians

My friend's site needs beta testers. Check it out for yourself and let me know what you think. He is OUR kind of people, trust me wink.gif I figure another place to populate with like-minded musicians would be pretty cool. This atmosphere with a different focus thumb3d.gif
Dr Evil
Oh ya, post what you play!

Me:
Guitar, mostly rhythm with melodic leads (no Van Halen).
Bass

Styles:
Metal, blues, rock, flamenco, soul, Funk, disco
Rand
Drummer. A bazillion live gigs and a few studio sessions. Some guitar.
raw1298
Played in local bands wherever I was living at the time from 1979 - 2000. I played bass but was mostly lead vocals. Highlight was opening for Quiett Riot the night they were filmed for thier "Behind The Music" VH1 episode. Got to perform at the Key Club in LA once.
Dr Evil
Ha! This is already interesting smile.gif Rand, I figured there was another reason I liked you, and that a goofy looking guy like you had such a nice looking lady wink.gif
Scott S
shades.gif

I am not a musician. I am a drummer. biggrin.gif

I retired after close to 30 years in early 2008 from the whole wanna-be rock star thing. I spent the rest of 2008 backing one of the American Idol idiots which was the absolute worst musical year of my life ( I thought it would be brainless and fun - I was half right...). I used the birth of daughter #2 to get out of that deal. I was so burnt that I didn't touch a drum for probably 6-8 months - which was an absolute eternity for me. It was the first time since I was 13 that I was not humping it in a band. It was a really really difficult time.

Now I only do a half dozen shows a year, and some studio work - but only with folks I know really well (cant handle the drama/personalities anymore.) I am still an absolute gear whore however, and my quarterly royalties are good for about a third of a tank of gas - or a binge at Taco Bell.

Livin the dream....

I will post pics, but only if Eric Shea does first.............. poke.gif biggrin.gif
PeeGreen 914
I play the violin, trumpet, piano, and sing. But it has been years since I have done anything but sing. My mom played Viola for the Seattle Symphony years before I was born and I am he youngest of four boys. She was determined to have one of us be a musician dry.gif
Dr Evil
I am interested in getting a cello to start messing around with.....time is a limiting factor. I did play trombone in junior high school smile.gif

Here is a more direct link to what the above mentioned site is about:
http://jamzoom.com/forum/index.php?/topic/...ome-to-jamzoom/
Rand
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 18 2011, 01:43 PM) *

Ha! This is already interesting smile.gif Rand, I figured there was another reason I liked you, and that a goofy looking guy like you had such a nice looking lady wink.gif

Hah. She's not for sale either.
Tom_T
Not me! .... it took me 10 years to learn to play the radio! lol-2.gif

More power to those of you that are though! thumb3d.gif
Als914
Not a musician... just play accustic guitar for therapuetic reasons. Have a six and 12 string that I play mostly country and some rock rhythems. Self tought and have been playing for many years.
TheCabinetmaker
1st chair violinist high school orchestra.
3rd chair violinist Tulsa Youth Philhamonic
Piano
Trumpet
Studio vocalist
12 string guitar
Blues harp.
Copywrited song writer.
mepstein
I'm not musically inclined but taking my son to bagpipe lessons, competitions, practice in the house - for 7 years - That's got to count for something!
raw1298
I checked out the site. Looks like it will be great.
GeorgeRud
Before starting to really get into cars and racing, I spent quite a few years playing guitar in garage bands (we were all going to be the next Beatles/Rolling Stones/Who). Still have the guitars and amps, but mostly for sentimental reasons since I don't hae much time to play these days.
p914
Keys and guitar
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 18 2011, 01:52 PM) *

I am interested in getting a cello to start messing around with.....time is a limiting factor. I did play trombone in junior high school smile.gif

Here is a more direct link to what the above mentioned site is about:
http://jamzoom.com/forum/index.php?/topic/...ome-to-jamzoom/

I've thought about getting a cello. Here is my inspiration smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSByjqMGtaU...player_embedded
76-914
I put mine down when I was 28. I promised the man upstairs I wouldn't touch it again. That was 32 yr's ago and I'm still alive. smile.gif (never did learn to read a note of music lol-2.gif ) ps, Still got my six string, just sits in the corner. I'd rather lose a nut than that memory.
andys
My 16 y/o daughter plays lead guitar, piano, vocals; Rock and rock classiscs. Spanish and English.

Andys
Black22
Started out at age 6 on an accordion...yeah I know...insert jokes here (. ).

Then went to guitar and bass at 10. I've been playing for 29 years. Been in bands, produced and my biggest love that I retired from in 2008 was being a sound engineer.

I've recorded dialog for film and TV and all sorts of music from Hollywood to Japan. Hell I've pretty much done everything the world of sound offers.

I just picked up a ukulele after a year of not touching a stringed instrument!

Still have my collection of favorite guitars. A 72 Gibson ES-335, a Les Paul, Gibson J-30 acoustic, American Deluxe Fender Strat and a Fender P/J Bass. Not to mention all my recording rigs and mic's.

Why did I retire? confused24.gif......Oh yeah, I got tired of working at a studio where Brittany Spears frequents! Today's music is CRAP!!

I like Blues, Rock and Hard Rock.
broomhandle
side musician... but i think about it a lot at work...

guitar player, bass and i can get by on drums.

but mainly guitar and vocals in bands... smile.gif
lrm914
Keys and Sax

Big into jazz in HS... Recipient of the Louis Armstrong Jazz award in 1984 but that was a long time ago.

Now I enjoy jamming with my brother inlaws who play bass and guitar and drums and harmonica.

Pretty intense jam sessions!
Scott S
QUOTE(Black22 @ Nov 18 2011, 04:51 PM) *

Then went to guitar and bass at 10. I've been playing for 29 years. Been in bands, produced and my biggest love that I retired from in 2008 was being a sound engineer.

I've recorded dialog for film and TV and all sorts of music from Hollywood to Japan. Hell I've pretty much done everything the world of sound offers.

Still have my collection of favorite guitars. A 72 Gibson ES-335, a Les Paul, Gibson J-30 acoustic, American Deluxe Fender Strat and a Fender P/J Bass. Not to mention all my recording rigs and mic's.

Why did I retire? confused24.gif......Oh yeah, I got tired of working at a studio where Brittany Spears frequents! Today's music is CRAP!!

Mike -
Your name sounds familiar to me and we appear to be close in age. Were you ever running around/involved at M.I. in 1987-88?
-Scott S
Valy
I play everything, but not sure people like what I play biggrin.gif
markb
Songwriter since the 70's. Mostly country/folk these days, but passed thru a lot of different styles.
Guitar, 6 & 12 string, but never a real love for the instrument, even tho I have a bunch of them, and built a few cool electrics.
Engineered & produced for a few local artists/bands, live & studio.
Taught Songwriting for many years.
Never was fortunate enough to do it as a career, just now getting back into writing after a 15 year layoff.
Eric_Shea
I will post pics, but only if Eric Shea does first..............

You're on... opening for Heart

IPB Image

Opening for Nazareth; "Now You're Mess'n with a..." (more cowbell!!!)

IPB Image

What's wrong with this picture? (besides the fact they labelled me as Nazareth's guitar player)... it's all DUDES!!! ohmy.gif

IPB Image
Eric_Shea
I got tired of working at a studio where Brittany Spears frequents

Mike... do you know Kevin Antunes?
bigkensteele
I'm not a musician by any stretch, but I own and occasionally attempt to play a handful of guitars. I have always loved guitars, cars, and watches. They are all mechanical art to me. I really wish that I had either the gift for music, or the time it takes to practice if you don't have the gift. An old roommate of mine could pick up just about any instrument that he didn't know, play with it for 5 minutes and be making music in 10. It drove me crazy.

Oh, and I used to run the sound board for a neighborhood band, which was a lot of fun until a couple of them became male divas.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 18 2011, 05:18 PM) *
What's wrong with this picture?

Bad hair day?

lol-2.gif
Eric_Shea
Back then? No. biggrin.gif
struckn
Playing Tenor and Alto Sax, started playing in 1963 school bands rock band on weekends then Navy Band stopped playing in mid 70's but kept my horns. started playing again a year ago and pretty much picked up where I left off to my amazement. Some things you love stick with you I guess, plus if you really love it and want it you can find a way. I play mostly Jazz, and Contemporary stuff. Love the blues such as Cry Me A River, Misty....wife is my best audiance, says I'm pretty good but I'm happy to just play weather anybody is listening or not. Good food for the Soul. I've owned my horns for over forty years and my Alto is vintage 1920's.
Thanks for the Thread.....love talking cars and music. Yes I'm OLD, I guess.
scrz914
There should be an addendum to this thread. How many musicians here also work in the IT business.
I went to college hoping to get a Bachelor of Arts in music but ended up working in a show band on a cruise ship. After realizing I couldn't do this forever I went back to school and got into computers. I'm amazed at how many of my musician pals (that didn't make it in music) ended up in IT of some sort. Seems to go together some how. Oh, none of them were into cars... except Trekkor.
rnellums
Trombone, tuba, and baritone. I also ran a band camp for three years.
yeahmag
Percussionist for 25+ years. Mostly cover bands these days. Still play some math rock-esque stuff from time to time. Oh yeah... My full time gig is as a Linux Team Lead at Caltech. So count me in!
JRust
My musical genes have been passed through my sperm evilgrin.gif . My kids are very talented musically. So in a way I am a master musician happy11.gif
Scott S
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 18 2011, 06:18 PM) *

I will post pics, but only if Eric Shea does first..............

You're on...
[

Damn it....

okay - can you find me in this picture?
PancakePorsche
Bass player here.
Scott S
more recent mug shots....

The Winnebago pic kills me - old guys on tour!
"are we done yet?"
"I'm tired"
"it's hot"
"which one of you assholes took a crap in the bathroom"
"are they providing meals?"
"my feet hurt"
"who is that kid in the golf cart with Spencer? Does he have any food?"
dlestep
...okay....okay....My wife plays the "Slobber Blues" on my meat horn,
infrequently, and I play a mean "Fun Bag Rag", when I get a chance.
Black22
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Nov 18 2011, 04:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Black22 @ Nov 18 2011, 04:51 PM) *

Mike -
Your name sounds familiar to me and we appear to be close in age. Were you ever running around/involved at M.I. in 1987-88?
-Scott S

Never went to MI. I went to CRAS. I went at the end of my career to prove the that I could kick the crap out of latest crop of rap "producers". Graduated top of my class with a 4.0GPA! Those guys got nothin' on me! Lol

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 18 2011, 05:24 PM) *

I got tired of working at a studio where Brittany Spears frequents

Mike... do you know Kevin Antunes?

I don't know Kevin. confused24.gif His last name sounds familiar for some reason so I Googled him. I saw he did a TV deal for Britney Spears.

The closest I ever came to mixing Film/TV to music was when I was working at Conway Studios while Peter Mokran mixed a DVD for a Christina Aguilera.
dlestep
My sons' Band, My Amends...

http://youtu.be/Nl6ByLKl1_o

Artist: My Amends
Song: Slaves
Album: Acceptions
Label: Ingenious Records (2011)
Eric_Shea
Kevin was Britneys MD and is now Madonnas MD. I thought he might be controlling the goings on in the studio when she was there... Cause Lord knows she can't do it. LOL
Black22
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 18 2011, 10:29 PM) *

Kevin was Britneys MD and is now Madonnas MD. I thought he might be controlling the goings on in the studio when she was there... Cause Lord knows she can't do it. LOL

You got that right Eric! She probably showed up for 20 percent of her studio bookings. Did you ever see the TMZ piece they did of her going into a gas station bathroom and making phone calls? Well you can hear her assistant demanding to talk to Sam. She was calling our studio to book time. Sam was the engineers assistant. She never showed for that gig either. Such a troubled soul.
Elliot Cannon
Played bass for Carlos in the earyly sixties. Flew to London and sat in on Bass when Paul wanted to play keyboard. Did lots of stuff for the Stones in the seventies (they don't have a regular bass guy). Look for my name on some of the early albums. Toured with Rod Stewart in '76 but he fired my ass. The guy is a real dick! Played with C S N & Y. Niel Young has the worst voice ever.
Cheers, Elliot
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 18 2011, 11:16 PM) *

Played bass for Carlos in the earyly sixties. Flew to London and sat in on Bass when Paul wanted to play keyboard. Did lots of stuff for the Stones in the seventies (they don't have a regular bass guy). Look for my name on some of the early albums. Toured with Rod Stewart in '76 but he fired my ass. The guy is a real dick! Played with C S N & Y. Niel Young has the worst voice ever.
Cheers, Elliot

That's all a complete fabrication of course but it sounds good. happy11.gif
Thestigz06
All saxophones as well as tuba!
EdwardBlume
My mom was a music teacher for 40 years and has a masters in concert piano. She can play like the devil. She also hated me and never taught me a damn thing.

I play the guitar and piano but not that well. I do it because I can't get the music out of my head, and what I hear is never complete.

IMHO - a music studio that perpetuates the '80s rock anthems and ballads would do very well.
crash914
me, not so much. Trombone in school...plicking around with guitar now. Build guitars and ukes.
My son...
Piano
guitar
ukulele
indian flute
banjo
mandolin
bass
organ
etc....

Bluegrass and blues...anything hard flatpicking....
BajaXJ92
I've played the guitar for about 16years, hence my love for music.

I've dabbled in drums, and can honestly say I'm better at drums sober than Scotty B is after a few cocktails. biggrin.gif poke.gif

Lately I've been wanting to pick up a ukulele to strum on. I'd also like to pick up a harmonica to mess around with. I attribute that to my, politics aside, Neil Young fanhood.

I've always wanted to learn piano as well. smile.gif
JMKnight
professional street musician schooled in Delta Blues and Piedmont style guitar currently trying to convince my neighbor, the harp player, to join me. Sorta like Brownie Mcgee and Sonny Terry!Click to view attachment
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 18 2011, 01:31 PM) *

It is always interesting to see what we have in common considering that we come from varied walks of life on this site. I have tried to go to other forums and have been largely dissatisfied, and sometimes pissed off at how the people are on them. I have met several hundred of you from this site and could not ask for a better group of people to hang with. Besides our love of the 914, how many of you also play instruments?

As many of you know, I am a musician. I ask the above question from curiosity and because I have an ulterior motive. I have a friend that is Beta testing his new site www.JamZoom.com which is for musicians.

There are other sites out there for musicians, but this one is intended to fill a void/niche that those seem to be missing:

*Content and community site in one. (forums and press releases and videos etc)
*Ability to post videos on the site
*Ability to post videos in the threads
*All new technologies (html5 etc.)
*One stop shop for musicians

My friend's site needs beta testers. Check it out for yourself and let me know what you think. He is OUR kind of people, trust me wink.gif I figure another place to populate with like-minded musicians would be pretty cool. This atmosphere with a different focus thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.