Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Badges? We don't need no stinking Badges!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ezbngreen914
I have a 73 1.7 914 but there is no model designation on the rear panel next to the "914" There is also no sign of holes where the badge would be (original paint on inside of trunk). Was there such a thing as model designation delete or were the original "1.7" stick on?
ezbngreen914
Click to view attachment
ezbngreen914
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Porsche in their infernal wisdom, initially didn't think they needed to make a distinction between the two 4 cyl. 73 models, then later came up with the badges - possibly only after their USA marketing arm began the distinction by calling the 2.0 as the "914 S" in their adverts, sales brochures, etc.

My 8/31/72 built 73 914-2.0 has the 914 badge mounting holes stamped in the sheetmetal (due to smooth back/inside face), but the 2 holes for the 2.0 are dimpled inside the trunk, as happens when they're drilled in after the original part stamping. So they must've added it later, but I don't know if that occurred at the factory, dealership, or in between.

I know it's the original rear wall piece, because it bears all paint colors since new L80E/Light Ivory, with the Sahara Beige (paint or tinted primer), Gold as when I bought it in 12/75, and the Copper Metallic and Anthracite/Dark Grey Metallic repaints which I did in 76 & 80 respectively.

Yours may have missed the addition of the 1.7 badge if it was an early build from July or August 72, or it could've been a replacement panel done over the years since new, or an owner delete where the hole was filled in & finished smooth. Those pix look like it may have been L80E originally or before, where the chips are..
ezbngreen914
Note the strange Porsche Crest decal that the PO decided to mask off for the repaint. It has a cracked and worn patina that is interesting and the gold has turned green but I'm not sure if I would have saved it. I originally thought that this might have been used to cover holes but no holes on the back side.
ezbngreen914
Click to view attachment

Thanks for the reply and the info! After you pointed out the white around the chips, I was afraid I might have a frankenstein car. I went back out to the garage and found the same chips in the front trunk. I'm thinking its just primer. The paint code on the door jam is L 64 K, ZAMBEZI! Also checked for signs of dimples on the back panel. None where the 1.7 would be. I think the car was built in sept. I also suspect that I have become curious about this variance in an attempt put off replacing the clutch cable. biggrin.gif. although it is perfect driving weather here in the panhandle of Florida. Time to get out the jack stands.
dlestep
My '73 had the "914-1.7" aluminum (not plastic) numbers.
The plate between the tail light assemblies, had factory holes,
with no dimples or pressings, just clean holes.

My '74 has the "914-2.0" black plastic numbers.

When I finish my '74, I want to run the "914-1.7" letters just
to deflate peoples' preconceived notions and to uphold everyones'
belief that German horses ARE bigger.
ezbngreen914
QUOTE(dlestep @ Nov 19 2011, 12:09 AM) *

Sleepers are cool! beerchug.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(ezbngreen914 @ Nov 18 2011, 10:54 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the reply and the info! After you pointed out the white around the chips, I was afraid I might have a frankenstein car. I went back out to the garage and found the same chips in the front trunk. I'm thinking its just primer. The paint code on the door jam is L 64 K, ZAMBEZI! Also checked for signs of dimples on the back panel. None where the 1.7 would be. I think the car was built in sept. I also suspect that I have become curious about this variance in an attempt put off replacing the clutch cable. biggrin.gif. although it is perfect driving weather here in the panhandle of Florida. Time to get out the jack stands.

Look at the VIN sticker & use the year on it to pull up that year's calendar with Googling (if the sticker is gone, then about 10,000 to 12,000 is my guess for the car's production in 72 vs. 73 - or a little less than 1/2 in oher MYs - except all 76 MYs were 75 built).

Your 4732903490 is easily a 72 build 73 MY, so get the 72 calendar, then use the Chassis No. above the color code on the plate above to get the week in the year (even one day on the calendar counts as a week in their system).

First 2 digits are week in year - yours is 39th week
3rd Digit is workday of week - yours is 3 or Wed.
4th & 5th digits of 95 is the Karmann Plant designator -
.....96 was used on early 914s to designate 100 on the next number set
6th & 7th digits are the number of car built that day - yours is 52nd
.....5th digit as 6 translates to 95 + 1 for 100s

Mine was the fastest 914 built to my knowledge, being an 8/31/72 chassis no. build date with an 8/72 VIN sticker date - so it's a one day build! laugh.gif
.... well, it makes a good story anyway! biggrin.gif

Hopefully your GF is a happy camper now, & keep up that cruise in the 914 to a beach, dinner date, etc., and she'll remain happy! cheer.gif

PS - if you add the 1.7 badge, they were the black anodized or painted aluminum ones in 73 MY (I assume your 914 badge is metal), which are NLA now, but you can find them FS online every now & then. Porsche new ones are all black plastic.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
TurbOH Brad
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 19 2011, 12:15 AM) *

I know it's the original rear wall piece, because it bears all paint colors since new L80E/Light Ivory, with the Sahara Beige (paint or tinted primer), Gold as when I bought it in 12/75, and the Copper Metallic and Anthracite/Dark Grey Metallic repaints which I did in 76 & 80 respectively.

So your car was repainted 3 times between 73 and 76?

Bizarre!
Tom_T
QUOTE(TurbOH Brad @ Nov 21 2011, 02:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 19 2011, 12:15 AM) *

So your car was repainted 3 times between 73 and 76?

Bizarre!

I agree! The beige may be a tinted primer so the white wouldn't blare through chips in the gold.

It was first sold new 11/9/72 & I first looked at it Nov. 75, & bought it in Dec. after check-out by my mechanic & officially registered it 12/26/75.

I asked an old school PCNA regional manager who was around SoCal dealerships back then, and he said that buyers would request a dealer respray if the color they wanted wasn't in stock - especially in the early days of the "new" 2.0, when they were really scarce. So he thought that's what happened with mine, and that it was either a miscue on the beige paint, or was a tinted primer.

In those days the paint colors on 914s were more fashion statements, so they got repainted a lot. I repainted it myself within the first year - the gold with Beige interior was too much of the same for me, so I went to the copper metallic in Aug 76. I later did it in the 930 Anthracite Grey Metallic in May 80, as a "pavement cammy" color, because the copper was essentially a metallic orange that all the cops watched. I will go back to Light Ivory in my resto.

Anyway, this isn't my thread & I don't want to digress it, but just to answer your comment.
76-914
QUOTE(ezbngreen914 @ Nov 18 2011, 10:18 PM) *

QUOTE(dlestep @ Nov 19 2011, 12:09 AM) *

Sleepers are cool! beerchug.gif

agree.gif I couldn't resist putting the 1.7 badge on after I installed the rebuilt/modified GC. After all, we are allowed a bit of artistic license with our cars, yes?
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ezbngreen914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 21 2011, 02:56 PM) *

QUOTE(ezbngreen914 @ Nov 18 2011, 10:54 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Look at the VIN sticker & use the year on it to pull up that year's calendar with Googling (if the sticker is gone, then about 10,000 to 12,000 is my guess for the car's production in 72 vs. 73 - or a little less than 1/2 in oher MYs - except all 76 MYs were 75 built).

Your 4732903490 is easily a 72 build 73 MY, so get the 72 calendar, then use the Chassis No. above the color code on the plate above to get the week in the year (even one day on the calendar counts as a week in their system).

First 2 digits are week in year - yours is 39th week
3rd Digit is workday of week - yours is 3 or Wed.
4th & 5th digits of 95 is the Karmann Plant designator -
.....96 was used on early 914s to designate 100 on the next number set
6th & 7th digits are the number of car built that day - yours is 52nd
.....5th digit as 6 translates to 95 + 1 for 100s

Mine was the fastest 914 built to my knowledge, being an 8/31/72 chassis no. build date with an 8/72 VIN sticker date - so it's a one day build! laugh.gif
.... well, it makes a good story anyway! biggrin.gif

Hopefully your GF is a happy camper now, & keep up that cruise in the 914 to a beach, dinner date, etc., and she'll remain happy! cheer.gif

PS - if you add the 1.7 badge, they were the black anodized or painted aluminum ones in 73 MY (I assume your 914 badge is metal), which are NLA now, but you can find them FS online every now & then. Porsche new ones are all black plastic.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Cool! Thanks for the info! And good advice now that my car has a birthday too biggrin.gif . ((9/20/72) by my calculations) two days after the first episode of M*A*S*H. Same day Paul McCartney got in a little trouble for his farming activities.
Tom_T
Mine was actually on my Dad's birthday - built on 8/31/72, but I didn't know that code translation until after he passed. sad.gif

He would've got a kick out of it, especially after he got a VW Bus with a 2.0L & teased me that "...now he had a Porch too!" biggrin.gif

He'd say mine was a Mid-Porch & his was the Back Porch!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.