Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: anyone successfully rolled fenders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chuckc
Has anyone here rolled their fenders with a bat here? Care to share pics and advice
peace,
Chuck
GeorgeRud
Though it sounds scary, it actually worked quite well. I had to raise the car up somewhat to get the bat handle inbetween the tire and fender lip, then slowly turned the bat to run it along the fender lip. I then lowered the car somewhat and did the same proceedure again.

I puts more of an angle on the inward facing fender lip, but I didn't try to pull the fenders out as I didn't need that much clearance. Others may have been more agressive and can chime in on their experiences.
mepstein
there is a difference between rolling the fender lip and rolling the fender. Either way usually results in cracked paint. Remember, when you move metal in one direction, it retreats from another direction, meaning, gaps usually increase between panels.
hydroliftin
QUOTE(chuckc @ Nov 19 2011, 01:57 PM) *

Has anyone here rolled their fenders with a bat here? Care to share pics and advice
peace,
Chuck

You could check this out...
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1777067
DBCooper
Define "successful". Changed the fender profile, yes, cracked the paint, also yes. Fool that I am I didn't heat the paint with a heat gun.
underthetire
Ya, don't do it with cold paint wacko.gif

The rears you can carefully push out from the inside with a small jack, supported with soft wood to keep from creasing the outer fender. Rolled a mini truck with a bat in high school, old standby does work.
URY914
Pump up the tires to about 80 psi.
Harpo
FYI, Eastwoods has a kit that bolts to the wheel hub.

David
Elliot Cannon
I rolled my fenders successfully and then the body shop fixed them. lol-2.gif Take your time. Go very slow. Be patient. Heat the paint to soften.
URY914
BTW, rolling fenders with a bat will NOT work with fiberglass fenders. shades.gif
chuckc
A few years back there was a green 2.0 owned by someone here in PA that hammered out the rears and smoothed with bondo. His avitar was a steelers logo, but I don't remember who he was and no longer have the link. The result looked fantastic...he fit fakie fuchs, 8's I think.
I want to fit late 8 phone dails in the rear and donkt think they will fill the FG or steel GT so looking for a custom DIY option?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Harpo @ Nov 19 2011, 05:49 PM) *

FYI, Eastwoods has a kit that bolts to the wheel hub.

David

I have this fender roller. I does need to be modified to fit the 130mm pattern. But it works well and several members here have used it too!

BTW, I will loan it to any local members. I don't want to ship it.
dlee6204
A few years back there was a green 2.0 owned by someone here in PA that hammered out the rears and smoothed with bondo. His avitar was a steelers logo, but I don't remember who he was and no longer have the link. The result looked fantastic...he fit fakie fuchs, 8's I think.

You talking about Spoke's old car?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=46451
chuckc

You talking about Spoke's old car?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=46451
[/quote]

Fantastic. Yep, that's the one. I love the way that turned out.
Thanks
maf914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Nov 19 2011, 04:40 PM) *

At what pressure will the tire explode? 81 psi? laugh.gif
URY914
QUOTE(maf914 @ Nov 22 2011, 12:02 PM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Nov 19 2011, 04:40 PM) *

At what pressure will the tire explode? 81 psi? laugh.gif

79. happy11.gif
RiqueMar
Guy in our shop did the fenders on the 75'. I think it turned out well. confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
McMark
It'll work, but just to complete the picture - pulling the fenders in this manner will distort the door gaps. Because the metal isn't being stretched you're not gaining any surface area. So the metal you 'gain' in the fender well comes from the front and back of the opening (i.e. the door gap and the taillight area). But since the back is pretty well supported, most of the movement comes from the door gap.

So it'll work, but it depends on what you're comfortable with on your car and how much you need to move it. A little and you won't notice, a lot and your door gap will double in size, mostly in the middle.
mr914
Click to view attachment Offical Fender Rolling Bat PN: Louisville Slugger

I have used this bat exclusivley for 25 years for rolling fenders on both 914 and 911's.

Use both ends of the bat to slowly work the fenders out, going from the small end to the larger end (insert larger end fully first and work your way out to the fat tip.

With my 71 4cyl when I converted to 5 bolts and 7x15 fuchs, I ended up going up tol 3" derlin rods that we had at work.

Only one problem ever, rusty 914. Poped the rust line for the right front fender where it decayed by the drivers door jamb..... yikes.gif

With the 914 you need to first roll some of the lip back and then begin the process.
mr914
small endClick to view attachment
a914622
A little bat flare.

Click to view attachment

jcl
bulitt
Ran into much body filler on all four of my fenders welding on flares. You may want to see if a refrigerator magnet sticks.
chuckc
Click to view attachment

This is exactly what I'd like to do (or have done). Best guess on how it was achieved? Formed then welded?

sean_v8_914
you can roll the lip only before you get into pulling the door gap. if you push the fender out then it pulls the gap as stated above.
16 x 7 w 225 50 16

a radiant heater works well

the wood block scissor jack method requires you to shape teh wood block and wrap in many layers of cloth or towel
sean_v8_914
or...
hammer, dolly, patience, skill and tolerant neighbors
chuckc
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Dec 16 2011, 09:33 AM) *

or...
hammer, dolly, patience, skill and tolerant neighbors

You're the man Sean! Anyway chance you've done a how to post/ or would be willing too the next time you do this?
Peace
Chuck smash.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.