Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 Oil cooler value
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
Since I'm working on my own conversion technique for /6 oil coolers, I may sell the original that came on my recent 2.2 acquisition.

So my question is what's it worth?
mepstein
$5. I'll send paypal in a minute. biggrin.gif
JmuRiz
No idea, I'll take it for shipping, haha. Question, what's the difference between the 2, 2.2, 2.4, 2.7 coolers? Since mine is a 2.7

I do like your idea for the oil cooler mod though.
J P Stein
The cost of converting/cleaning & pressure testig a regular cooler was 150 many moons ago. Some would use that one without cleaning & PTing.....I'd trip ovre the black paint (DAPOs). I'd say 200 bucks or better as is.
Socalandy
I was told it was a mod. not an original but if it is the real deal please let me have first shot at it
Series9
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Nov 20 2011, 12:05 PM) *

I was told it was a mod. not an original but if it is the real deal please let me have first shot at it

At first glance, it looks original, but let me have a closer look. Even though I do a lot of conversions, I'm not necessarily an expert on original /6 parts.

I'll get a part number and some better pictures today.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Nov 20 2011, 11:47 AM) *

No idea, I'll take it for shipping, haha. Question, what's the difference between the 2, 2.2, 2.4, 2.7 coolers? Since mine is a 2.7
though.

The coolers are pretty much the same.
(There is only one flavor of 914.6 cooler, of course...)
the 2,0 and 2,2 used one size / method of connecting to the line, 2,4 and up used a different attachment.
The short-stroke coolers are pretty rare and seem to command significant margins over the far more plentiful later versions.

I'm with JP - I'd want any used cooler ultrasonically cleaned and pressure-tested.
sixnotfour
The good news is it is still on a motor, if the motors not blown(bearings) and it has no apparent sign of leaking, a simple clean and pressure check would do. If it was off the motor in a pile of parts it would be highly suspect IMHO.
Either way the elbow and fitting In Andy's case would make it look factory correct, with a weld to adapt to a good cooler if needed.

72 on up have the larger inlet pipe.
Series9

It's real.
Series9
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Nov 20 2011, 11:59 AM) *

I'd say 200 bucks or better as is.

It's worth a lot more than $200.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Series9 @ Nov 20 2011, 10:07 AM) *

Bend over Andy...this won't hurt a bit.blink.gif
Cap'n Krusty
I would NEVER install a used cooler that hadn't been ultrasonically cleaned and pressure tested. Ever. Oil coolers can be abraided by normal oil flow and develop leaks for no other reason than old age and high mileage. 911 coolers seem especially prone to this.

The Cap'n
moparrob
These guys are the best for cleaning/testing in so cal:

Pacific Coolers
Series9
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 20 2011, 03:40 PM) *

I would NEVER install a used cooler that hadn't been ultrasonically cleaned and pressure tested. Ever. Oil coolers can be abraided by normal oil flow and develop leaks for no other reason than old age and high mileage. 911 coolers seem especially prone to this.

The Cap'n

I didn't suggest installing it as is, I simply wanted to discuss value.
Series9
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Nov 20 2011, 01:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Series9 @ Nov 20 2011, 10:07 AM) *

Bend over Andy...this won't hurt a bit.blink.gif

Really JP?

He offered me a core engine, as is. I bought it, as is.

Is it my fault he failed to realize it had a valuable part on it?

This is the equivalent of buying a storage locker sight-unseen and then being asked to give back the good stuff by the previous owner.

Come on. bs.gif
sixnotfour
I remember buying one for $200 new, oh ya
And 914-6 calipers 200 a pair new and 2.7 cases 400 new and 2.0S PC's 400 new 19ate MC's 99 new, GT flairs factory 900 new, GT rear bumper 100 new, GT rear deck lid 400 new, GT door panels 200 new 10k tachs 200 new.

after spending 150 on it you can get 400 plus.

Andy ask question to the "World" first. I spotted it right off.
Socalandy
I asked for first crack at it, not a freebe. my source for "is it real" didnt catch it. it was a sweet price tho

Welcome to my life
sixnotfour
Oh isn't this attractive ?;
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...oil-cooler.html

I would rather have the one on andy's motor and do my own check, Sorry Captian " has to please John Q public."
Socalandy
OK, That hurts damit blink.gif that could have gone on my factory -6 engine. maybe we should take this disscusion offline Joe smile.gif

headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
sixnotfour
Andy its your's I just don't agree with the banter of it being junk as is. Agreed work it out with Joe,
you didnt know and had to hurry.
Socalandy
Joe has a good definition of how i hurry!! At least up til last week when I got my life back
J P Stein
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 20 2011, 05:40 PM) *

Andy its your's I just don't agree with the banter of it being junk as is. Agreed work it out with Joe,
you didnt know and had to hurry.

I didn't see any banter about it's being "junk". As to it being cleaned & tested that's just common sense. Would you put it on your 914 GT without it's being gone thru?.

Joe, that was supposed to be a joke.
Apparently I'm too hard on you sensetive folk, I'll be off.
Gint
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 20 2011, 06:33 PM) *
Oh isn't this attractive ?;
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...oil-cooler.html

I would rather have the one on andy's motor and do my own check, Sorry Captian " has to please John Q public."

Yow! Bend over indeed. Are they really worth that much?
Dr Evil
Converting a 911 one is cheaper. I did it smile.gif
Socalandy
OK Guy's, I sold it and it's gone. He's right on the storage unit analogy. I didnt detect any banter so let it go Please
Eric_Shea
Aaaaaaaaaaandy, I might have a stock one... if you can find me a nice moded one we might can make a deal.

IPB Image
Cap'n Krusty
If that was aimed at me, I didn't say it was junk. I said I wouldn't put in a car without servicing it.

The Cap'n
sixnotfour
Junk was the wrong word fir Me to use,

I never said " use as is " myself.
carr914
So what was the consensus to it's worth?

SLITS
I have bought at least three of them for $250 or less. Just because it is original doesn't make it worth it's weight in gold. It is only valuable to someone that wants an original part so they can say they are CW and like most CWs, they are willing to pay through the nose for something you can't see.

I use the later models, modified, due to the larger inlet to the pump. I am more interested in function.

My bid ... $250 ... but I don't want it. Saw it when I shipped the engine .... whooopee! dry.gif

Oh, btw, The Cap'n has an original 914/6 case. I wrote the serial number down, but lost the damn note. I was going to post it for him.
bdstone914
I know of a NOS one available for $750.

It is worth what the buyers want to pay.

I would prefer a $150 911 cooler modded and serviced.

If a cooler is not completely cleaned it can ruin a new engine.

Contaminates can lodge in them and be very difficult to removed.

When they are welded for the modification they should have nitrogen flowing through them to prevent any oil to turning into carbon.

Bruce
SLITS
The 914/6 case that the Cap'n has is # 6404495
Series9
Andy is getting his cooler back.

Slits, I need any 911 cooler that looks like it will clean up and pass pressure testing at Pacific Coolers.
BMITCHELL
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Socalandy
I have 2 and promise to ship one out this week. let me go get a picture of one. This one came from Ron's stash but looks like its missing a captive nut, fins look great
Socalandy
911 oil cooler 911.107.041.00 fits 78-89 per google search

Thanks Joe
Dr Evil
Andy, the one you posted uses push on hose with clamp. This is easy to mod with the threaded end. Joe can do smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.