Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Oil Level Gauge/Sender
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
This is probably pretty impractical since there is a dipstick there but I was wondering if anyone has done a oil level gauge like the 911 has on their 914? Particularly by modding an aftermarket tank like the Patrick tank.

Hey, I've got a gauge sitting here and was just wondering... idea.gif

Kev
partwerks
You would think they would have something similar to an irrigation engine that you can look to see what the oil level is while it is running by looking at a site gauge or whatever it is called.
I always hated checking with the dipstick while it was running.
xsurfer
Will a later model tank fit? I've got a six that requires the dip stick.
Is the baffle the same on later tanks?

Thanks

Gene
SirAndy
QUOTE(kconway @ Nov 20 2011, 09:25 AM) *

This is probably pretty impractical since there is a dipstick there but I was wondering if anyone has done a oil level gauge like the 911 has on their 914? Particularly by modding an aftermarket tank like the Patrick tank.

Hey, I've got a gauge sitting here and was just wondering... idea.gif

I've been thinking the same thing. The 911 sending unit seems the logical choice. I'm sure someone crafty could make that work with an aftermarket 914 oil-tank.

idea.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Why? It's eye candy on a 911, and it would be the same on a 914. Just another potential oil leak, and they give you no useful information.

The Cap'n
a914dude
Waste of space gauge, kinda like the clock. Only vaguely accurate when at idle after warmed up and on a level surface.
IronHillRestorations
I'm with the Cap'n on this the 911 oil level gauges are notoriously incorrect. Unless you are leaking or burning oil, or you drive 5k miles a month, you'll be fine.
GeorgeRud
Chuck Stoddard did this modification years ago on his 914-6 using a 911 oil tank level guage.

I agree with the others that it is pretty much worthless unless you never check your oil level with the engine running as you should. I always check it before filling up the gas tank as the engine is already warmed up and the gas station is usually a pretty level location.
Larry.Hubby
I have one on my car, mostly because the space in the housing was there, the gauge itself is stock and readily available, and I didn't have another gauge I wanted there more.

Click to view attachment

You can see it on the left. I moved the gas gauge to the location of the boost gauge ('78 930 tach) and filled that slot with a voltmeter. The 911 sender mounts in the center of the stock tank without any interference to the arm with the float that reads the oil level, provided you center it correctly. You also need to cut an additional hole as big as the sender mounting plate (~3" dia.) in the engine compartment sheet metal over the sender, both to clear it and to get to the electrical connection.

It's certainly true that the gauge doesn't give you a lot of information. As others have said, it isn't even intended to be accurate except at idle when the engine is fully warm. I've found it useful for warning of slow oil consumption, and for filling the tank to the same level each time when you change the oil, although this is just sloth on my part. You could do the same things with the dipstick, but it's nicer to not get your hands dirty sometimes. Another thing is that the 914-6 tank is narrower than the 911 tank, so the level markings aren't accurate. One quart up or down in the 914 tank corresponds to about 1.3 indicated quarts on the 911 gauge. I suppose I could get the gauge face re-calibrated, but it doesn't seem worth the trouble.
SLITS
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 20 2011, 12:31 PM) *

Why? It's eye candy on a 911, and it would be the same on a 914. Just another potential oil leak, and they give you no useful information.

The Cap'n

Words of wisdom ... useless.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.