Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 283
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rey
okay I have found that the 283 Is a block that I have is the one that can accept the 327 crank.,I not sure if that means anything. I believe that I have a stock crank. It has been bored over, cylinders are at 4 inches. So I have the cam,crank,rods ,and pistons back in and torked. This is an accomplishment for me cuz this is my first time at it.
914werke
UH ...your topic is kinda OT & NPC blink.gif confused24.gif
Eric_Shea
UH ...your topic is kinda OT & NPC

With as many 914-8's as there are on this list I tend to doubt it... wink.gif

This is probably one of the best places to get -8 conversion info confused24.gif
thomasotten
QUOTE(rey @ Aug 10 2004, 07:46 AM)
has been bored over, cylinders are at 4 inches.

Let's talk mm and cc, not inches! Oh wait, you are trying to use one of "those engines".
GWN7
If I remember the 302's were a 283 crank with a 4" bore
rey
UH ...your topic is kinda OT & NPC

I guess what I tried to say is with a 283 block bored over and a 327 crank what cubic inch dose it make . This is a question for the v8 crowd sorry if it is inappropriate. Is the combination more desirable to hotroders. Is the block rare?
JWest
327 crank (3.25" stroke) with 4" bore makes a... 327!

Before Chevy made the DZ302, hot rodders used to bore out 283s to 4" bore and use Ross (or others) pistons. They would call it a 301. But it is the same thing as a 302 - 3" stroke by 4" bore.

The block is not rare, and if I were building a small journal engine I would rather start with a early 327 block that was 4" bore from the factory.
DougC
Rev, If you have a 283 that's been bored to 4" than you have a 302 (assuming you still have the original crank installed). This is the perfect engine combo (IMHO) for the 914 if using the stock tranny in particular. It closely matches what Chevy did in '67 and '68 for the Z28, which was very successful in "TransAm" racing, appairently. The engine got even better in '69 with the DZ302 which is large journal crank and 4 bolt mains block, etc.. The charicteristics of a 302 is nice since we don't need gobs of torque and most of the power is in the upper RPM range. This is the engine I'll eventually be turning my newly aquired 283 into (not possible on all 283s, BTW) but it is freshly rebuilt so I'll install it as is for now. IF, it has been opened up to a 4" bore then bigger valves are possible and a head change may already have been done (283 valves are probably too small). You should check the numbers on the block and heads to know exactly what you have. Good luck and keep us informed on your progress..

Doug C
rey
Thanks DougC,

the cranck # is GM 2-3849847. Block # GM 3849852
other # on block 852 G8 O L7S
The heads are big valves 2.02/1.60 beerchug.gif
DougC
Hey Rev I got info on my block number over on the other forum but someone here will probably help out - I don't have the publication or I'd post it. But, sounds like you're a bit ahead of the game with that setup you have..

Doug C
Mike T
www.mortec.com says:

crank=

3849847....283.......forged..small journal....3.00" stroke

Block=

CASTING#.....SIZE...YEAR...MAIN CAP BOLTS....NOTES
3849852........283...57-66.......2

So you got a 283 crank and a 283 block.

Mike T
rey
beerchug.gif Thanks Mike T. beerchug.gif
914gem
rev, look on the back of the block. there should be a letter and 3 numbers. The letter is for the month like A would be Jan, B Feb and so on. The next 2 numbers will be the day and the last number the year. Example B035 would mean the block was built on Feb 3, 1965. All chevy parts has this casting ID
neo914-6
Rey,
I couldn't download your pic. Here's my new 358, it's full of high end components. See you this weekend.
Felix
rey
looking forward to it beerchug.gif
Felix
Andyrew
Ohhhh looks interesting felix! Is that aluminum heads?

Give us some details!
neo914-6
Andrew,
aluminum heads?

Yep, Edelbrock...I'll have more details later. Hope my "bitchin tranny" holds up. You have seen this engine before! wink.gif The ride in the car with this engine nearly made me s*** my pants. laugh.gif
Felix
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.