Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heads are READY
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
Where would we be without great craftsmen? 1.8 heads with new 2.0 sized valves, 1.7 rockers and swivel adjusting screws for my soon to be 1911 cc fuel injected 75.
I love stickers!
Click to view attachment

Nice thick valve seat!

Click to view attachment
53 CC should give me 8:1
Click to view attachment

I hate it that I am going out of town for Turkey Day. I could be working!

Click to view attachment
Valy
That right plug hole in the last picture looks eaten a bit.
And why the SS exhaust valves? The sodium filled are still available and not so expensive/
McMark
I wouldn't be surprised if Len added a notch for a CHT sensor ring.
And most builders are using SS valves. But Len would have to explain his own reasoning. That I'm not sure on.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Valy @ Nov 21 2011, 08:19 PM) *

The sodium filled are still available and not so expensive/

They are after one fails and takes out the entire engine. Been there, done that and added the ten thousand dollars worth of broken parts to my trophy shelf. When a sodium filled valve fails, it doesn't break.. It explodes.

Heads look great to be nearly 4 decades old.. Len does awesome work.
Hell, they look a lot better than the heads that I normally see pics posted of here that have visible cracks in the combustion chambers as their owners brag about the work that was done...

Want perfection? Start with a brand new casting, otherwise you are always going to have some compromise. Len made these look great and the right spark plug hole has been modified for a CHT sensor as Mark stated.. Without that, life is hell.
malcolm2
QUOTE(Valy @ Nov 21 2011, 09:19 PM) *

And why the SS exhaust valves? The sodium filled are still available and not so expensive/

He welded everything closed, then tapped new. You might just be seeing some exterior weld. the right plug you refer to is the notch for the CHT.
EdwardBlume
aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 21 2011, 09:52 PM) *

Len would have to explain his own reasoning.

I asked Len to "do his thing". I trusted him to supply the best. I was completely ignorant to what should or could be done. I have not taken a VW engine apart in 20 years. He gave me some options, and you see the result. I look forward to getting this thing put back together and running.
HAM Inc
Glad you're happy with them Clark. they came out very nice.

That's where I tied the weld into the casting. It bubbled a bit from oxidation. If it had been a critical surface I would have cut it out and rewelded. Since it's just the exterior around the CHT probe notch I let it ride.

Definitely not a fan of them either. Thank goodness for modern (late 20th century) valve technology so we have alternatives. Admittedly the sodium filled do seem to hold up okay when new and with only so many miles of not so sprited driving, but at some point when they go, they go ugly! On the other-hand the SS just keeps on rolling along. I have NEVER seen one break without first colliding with a piston.

Hope your build goes together smoothly and you're happy with your new engine Clark.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.