Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is there a diagram or photo someplace with the late style Blower motor?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
I am looking for a exploded view or diagram or photo of the late style blower motor and the connections.

I have a 73 2.0. The blower motor is located on the left side of the engine bay. It have one outlet unlike the early blower with two outlests.

I have a plastic tube that I believe connects the blower to the left side "J" tube.

Problem is I have a right side "J" tube that has nothing connected to it. What feeds the right side "J" tube on the later model cars?
McMark
73/74 cars just capped off the J-tube because you would still get hot air on the passenger side because of the air from the cooling fan that is route through the system. 75/76 cars had a nozzle/splitter that hooked up to both sides. The nozzle can be retrofitted to an earlier blower.

The 70/72 blower mounted on the engine and is a different setup that had dual outlets.
jimkelly
http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/p...e_914_parts.php
heater fan
blower motor
Gint
Those electric blower motors are more trouble than they're worth IMO. I just cap both holes. They only put out weak air flow at and just above idle. Above 2k rpm the cooling fan overcomes the volume of air that the electric motor provides anyway.
shulew 3
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 25 2011, 12:30 AM) *

I am looking for a exploded view or diagram or photo of the late style blower motor and the connections.

I have a 73 2.0. The blower motor is located on the left side of the engine bay. It have one outlet unlike the early blower with two outlests.

I have a plastic tube that I believe connects the blower to the left side "J" tube.

Problem is I have a right side "J" tube that has nothing connected to it. What feeds the right side "J" tube on the later model cars?

There is a splitter available from AA that will give you warm air on both sides using the fan(red knob) Works fine

part # BMIS400 heater blower upgrade kit 914 1970-76 $38.50 (was that in '09)

Lew
rick 918-S
I would be happy with the cap method Mark mentioned. Anyone have a photo of the cap? I have never even seen one.
dlee6204
A photo of said cap...

Click to view attachment

Rick, if you want it, its yours.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 25 2011, 06:42 AM) *

Those electric blower motors are more trouble than they're worth IMO. I just cap both holes. They only put out weak air flow at and just above idle. Above 2k rpm the cooling fan overcomes the volume of air that the electric motor provides anyway.

agree.gif with Gint. My 70 doesn't have the fan blower installed. As long as I am moving there is more than enough airflow to move heat into the car. Heck even at idle I have warm air coming when I open the flappers.
Gint
Tell me what you need Rick. I'm off to the Rod show.

gendent
An easy solution was provided for me at Home Despot, there are rubber plumbing caps that even come with clamps for under $5.00. It has worked well for me.
rick 918-S
Cool! The photo Doug provided and the Home Depot source suggestion will work great!

Mike I still need the right and left part #23 in the diagram for the early style H.E.'s. That will complete the heater for Sandy's car. We'll be driving this thing in the spring! driving-girl.gif
Gint
23 is just flexible hose. I sent you a PM rick. I thought you needed 24 and 25.
tod914
You can still get the long hose from Porsche. It's cheap! The short, is cut down long hose now. Likely they ran out. So it will not have the flat edgeing. The hose clamps last time I checked, are NLA.. but Norma and other companies have substitutes. Post some shots! Anxious to see how it's turning out.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 25 2011, 06:05 PM) *

23 is just flexible hose. I sent you a PM rick. I thought you needed 24 and 25.

Got the PM Mike. I'm a dork... confused24.gif biggrin.gif

Here's what I need.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(tod914 @ Nov 25 2011, 06:17 PM) *

You can still get the long hose from Porsche. It's cheap! The short, is cut down long hose now. Likely they ran out. So it will not have the flat edgeing. The hose clamps last time I checked, are NLA.. but Norma and other companies have substitutes. Post some shots! Anxious to see how it's turning out.

I'll update The build thread later tonight. It's really starting to look nice. Sandy is going to be pleased. driving-girl.gif
Gint
I don't think I have any of those. I'll have to take another look tomorrow.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 25 2011, 10:17 PM) *

I don't think I have any of those. I'll have to take another look tomorrow.

Thanks. Shoe thought he may have some. I sent him a photo.
McMark
If you can't find any I know I have a box. wink.gif
partwerks
That squirrel cage blower would suck in cold air and introduce that into the system, which didn't really help matters any. A person should rig up something where it would at least draw in some warm air off the engine once it gets warmed up to circulate it back into the system.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(partwerks @ Nov 27 2011, 07:52 PM) *

That squirrel cage blower would suck in cold air and introduce that into the system, which didn't really help matters any. A person should rig up something where it would at least draw in some warm air off the engine once it gets warmed up to circulate it back into the system.

If everything is in working order and not leaking more than it did from the factory, the 914 cabin heating will roast you, even in Duluth.

I just put mine back together, but I back-dated my exhaust from a '75 1.8 to a '73/74 2.0 with SSIs. The heater cables aren't quite long enough now, so both flapper boxes are partially open, the passenger side the most.

It was 55 here yesterday. I took it for a drive with the top off but the windows up, and I came back almost sweating.

My next project is to install a console. Therefore, the cables must come out, so this problem will be resolved.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.