Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AM I CRAZY?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hot_shoe914
Okay, decided to take a few phone photos of some of the rot on Christine today. I have some sort of movement underneath that I am trying to pinpoint and solve. Noticed the rot seems to be a little bad on the passenger side. So, here's the question, Would you driving.gif this car with a 2056 and stock injection in it? confused24.gif She pulls really strong since the rebuild a couple months ago.

Shoe

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
underthetire
Is that the long? Holy crap.
SirAndy
QUOTE(underthetire @ Nov 26 2011, 07:51 PM) *
Is that the long? Holy crap.

agree.gif

That's what's left of the backbone of your car. So no, i wouldn't drive it that way ... shades.gif
RickS
What the hayul are we looking at?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(RickS @ Nov 26 2011, 10:52 PM) *

That is the pass side long under the hell hole. With a big ass crack and lots of rust. It needs fixed before the car starts to fold up. Chritine deserves to have that patched up!
Zach
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(RickS @ Nov 26 2011, 09:52 PM) *

That is right by the jacking point behind the jack post. Just in front of the suspension ear. Looks like the rear of the floor pan is ready to drop on the ground. It is a little worse now than when I drove her to the Buttercup build 814 miles each way, but not a lot worse. So much for a good ol blue plate California car.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 26 2011, 09:58 PM) *

QUOTE(RickS @ Nov 26 2011, 10:52 PM) *

That is the pass side long under the hell hole. With a big ass crack and lots of rust. It needs fixed before the car starts to fold up. Chritine deserves to have that patched up!
Zach

agree.gif Zach but it is slow going as it is trying to pay Scott for the one he already has. I hate to defer any funds away from that project. Thinking of a temporary patch until the other is finished. Was hoping to drive Christine the 900+ miles to Hershey next year. confused24.gif
wingnut86
Wrapped steel plate with stainless rivets from front wheel well to a 45 at the rear long and continue up and around to engine bay. Tack/glob the shit out of it and drive sheet metal screws threw a select 50 odd locations around the "U" you create. This should extend halfway under the pan and eliminate the donut in the rear with plate. Of course I would never do this shit to any of my cars, short of the '70 out back that I purchased just like above.

This is a disclaimer to the above wackonoia and releases me from any indemnity from any idiot who tries it and tells...

Dave bootyshake.gif
Krieger
Yep, well it's a pretty easy fix. Your problem is the injection. Switching to carbs should solve it. wacko.gif
Socalandy
So how long have you known about it and not said anything? and yes your crazy, one pot hole and you'll break her back sad.gif
draganc
QUOTE(Krieger @ Nov 26 2011, 09:06 PM) *

Yep, well it's a pretty easy fix. Your problem is the injection. Switching to carbs should solve it. wacko.gif

LMFAO!!! av-943.gif

nope, I wouldn't drive the car...
poorsche914
Some friend you are, Shoe, letting me drive Christine several hundred miles from Eureka Springs to Memphis. I know you want my LE, but c'mon blink.gif

I say patch her up smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif and drive driving.gif
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Nov 26 2011, 11:03 PM) *

agree.gif Zach but it is slow going as it is trying to pay Scott for the one he already has. I hate to defer any funds away from that project. Thinking of a temporary patch until the other is finished. Was hoping to drive Christine the 900+ miles to Hershey next year. confused24.gif

I love a good project and the toughest thing is starting one. I'm not ready for Scott to start work on my car til I can safely hand him $12k. I'd hate to tie up his busy shop too much sad.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Nov 26 2011, 11:54 PM) *

Some friend you are, Shoe, letting me drive Christine several hundred miles from Eureka Springs to Memphis. I know you want my LE, but c'mon blink.gif

I say patch her up smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif and drive driving.gif

It is okay Steve, she was like that when you drove her down the Tail of the Dragon too! She is one tough bitch, she just keeps on going. wub.gif
AndyB
To answer your question yes you are crazy. Patch her up and drive her.
Jaymann
Would I drive it Yes,is it a good idea No.I have driven some sketchy stuff,but more often than not,it does not end well.Jaymann from PA
saigon71
Shoe:

I would find a way to patch that until a proper repair can be made. Yes these cars are tough, but that looks pretty bad.

After getting my car running, I tore around the neighborhood for a few weeks with no tags, registration or insurance...after starting the restoraion, I realized how much could have gone wrong. sad.gif

Bob
partwerks
Doesn't appear safe to drive down the road for yourself or others on the road.
mepstein
Your passenger seat belt mount down by the long might be compromised. Be careful.
Spoke
Looks like a low-rust east coast car.
Mike Bellis
I cut up a car like that because it had too much rust.

East coast guys... geeze.... poke.gif
7TPorsh
Just out of curiosity. What would a repair cost and would the outer body need to be cut?
JRust
Holy crapola man. Even if it's a hack job patch that sucker. I know you have plenty tied up getting your other one going. Hell even if it is some angle iron & looks like total shit. It will still looke better that that icon8.gif
JRust
biggrin.gif agree.gif
EdwardBlume
Strip the car of seat belts and drive it until you're Flintstone..... blink.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 27 2011, 01:05 PM) *

Looks like a low-rust east coast car.

I shipped it in from Bakersfield, Ca. Ebay buy with a "Less" than honest seller. Was actually still wearing the original blue plate. I have paperwork back into the early '80s on the car from California. I know a little more now than I did then.
Dr Evil
Transfer parts to the lawn art of yours I have wink.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 27 2011, 05:22 PM) *

Transfer parts to the lawn art of yours I have wink.gif

We need to schedule a time for me to pick up said lawn art. Had thought about this weekend since I had the time off but saw bad wearther in the northeast. I do need to get it out of your way though.
jimkelly
be honest with us ....

do you think it is worse than this car .... ????

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748

it could be that only a small amount of inner long is holding the car together.

IPB Image

majkos
ahh..... Yup agree.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Nov 27 2011, 06:32 PM) *

be honest with us ....

IPB Image

Overall I don't believe she is as bad as that, but she is not in good shape. Some day I hope to get her repaired.
trojanhorsepower
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Nov 27 2011, 08:32 PM) *

be honest with us ....

IPB Image

What happened to that guy? That was a great build.
wingnut86
I think he's over on the Club site.

Was he the West Coast dude who was fabricating CF fenders and the such?

Didn't mean to hijack the post. Also remember that any rust you see externally is twice as bad internally...
Tom_T
You'll be doing a Fred Flintstone if you keep driving that 914 in that condition Shoe! blink.gif

Remember that the 1970's were El Nino years for California - although they didn't know it then. It wasn't uncommon to have streets flooded over the curbs, since we use surface drainage for stormwater & don't have storm drains for the most part.

So a 914 with 4.7" of ground clearance would've been flooded over the longs if it were in the street at the time.
bernbomb914
Go ahead and drive it BUT you better have a lot of liability insurance because when it breaks and some one gets hurt YOUR ASS IS GRASS
Good LUCK
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.