Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just bought a 916 transmission kit from Martin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve
Just bought a 916 transmission kit from Martin for my 86 915 trans. Can anyone recommend a shop in Southern Cal to install it?
piratenanner.gif driving.gif

In case you want pictures, here's a link to Martin's thread in the vendor section.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=102988
Great.... keep us posted on progress. As for trans shop..How about sending it off to Calif Motor Sports in Henderson Nv.. Gary Hart..great trans guy ..
Krieger
Otto's in Venice Beach has done 3 trannys for me. I have ben happy with all of them.
lagunero
Nice! I know you were considering the 901/01...did my broken cable help you decide on the 916? biggrin.gif

Look forward to the build
RON S.

Steve,

By chance would you be willing to share with us what your kit, delivered to your door cost??, given the current exchange rate, and shipping. It's been almost a couple of years since Martin put the kits out.

Ron
Steve
QUOTE(RON S. @ Nov 30 2011, 03:51 PM) *

Steve,

By chance would you be willing to share with us what your kit, delivered to your door cost??, given the current exchange rate, and shipping. It's been almost a couple of years since Martin put the kits out.

Ron

When I get a chance I will dig up the receipts, but it was around $3k delivered.
$3k is the tip of the ice berg.
-used 915 gear box $1k
-Cost to overhaul 915? $3k-5k parts and labor.
-LSD $1500
-Electric speedo conversion?
-new clutch assembly
-new flywheel?
-etc
-etc
Probably close to $10k when done.
Steve
QUOTE(lagunero @ Nov 30 2011, 07:28 AM) *

Nice! I know you were considering the 901/01...did my broken cable help you decide on the 916? biggrin.gif

Look forward to the build

I didn't know you broke your cable.
I didn't drive your car very much on the street, but I thought your trans and gearing matched your engine quite well on the street and the freeway. I also loved the positive feeling of your clutch cable versus mine with your early 70/71 pull trans.
I think its just an issue with 3.2 or bigger motors. I am curious if you feel like you would rather start off in second or if first gear feels comfortable for you?

With the stock 914 trans on my 2.7 six I thought it was perfect on the street and freeway, but after installing the 3.2 it drove me up the wall on the street. Too much power and torque. 1st gear was worthless and i was in third gear by the end of the street. It drove me up the wall around town shifting all the time and was tolerable on the freeway.
The late model 915 gearing matches the 3.2 better and I will also be swapping out the fifth gear for an early 29:21 fifth gear so it won't rev so high on the freeway. I also won't be so paranoid about 1st gear around town and autocross.
lagunero
I actually had the clevis pin slip off slap.gif (that's Slits smacking me upside the head). when I just pieced together my car for the WCC09 I never went back to check the cable. Now that I took the time to properly install the cable and slack, it feels much better! My TO bearing will thank me as well.

I'm very happy starting out in 1st. I tried starting out in 2nd for AXing but decided the advantage for me was nil.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.