Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 oil tank in 914-6?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
In making a conversion to a 3.2 I am tempted by the availability of a nice matching oil tank, and not exactly thrilled by the price of a more authentic tank. If I have welding skills, is there a way of converting the 911 tank to fit? I would prefer it not in the trunk, but not committed to the left side, although that seems most obvious. Someone must have thought about this before - stupid idea?
SirAndy
QUOTE(worn @ Dec 1 2011, 12:37 PM) *
In making a conversion to a 3.2 I am tempted by the availability of a nice matching oil tank, and not exactly thrilled by the price of a more authentic tank. If I have welding skills, is there a way of converting the 911 tank to fit? I would prefer it not in the trunk, but not committed to the left side, although that seems most obvious. Someone must have thought about this before - stupid idea?

Doesn't fit. Wrong shape.
I've seen it used in a 914 twice, both times it was a absolute hack. icon8.gif

One car had it in the front trunk and the second car cut up the rear trunk and had it sticking out half way into the trunk.

If you don't want to fork out the cash for a stock or aftermarket 914 tank, just use one of them round racing tanks.

Please don't hack your 914 to pieces over an oil-tank!
sad.gif

PS: welcome.png
JmuRiz
I've always wanted to get my hands on a 911 tank to see if I could find a place to make it work and look good...alas, I've never been loaned one to play with.

I did buy a PMS oil tank to use if I don't figure out something else out.
jim912928
Worn...welcome! I finished my 3.2l conversion this year. If you'd like to look things over I'm in a far west burb of Milwaukee (Brookfield)....close!
brant
I considered welding, but really didn't like the idea of steel slag or welding rod in the oil system

saving a couple of hundred bucks, but putting a 5K engine on the line is bad economics.

I've made one out of aluminum though.. (that fits inside the stock location) less risk than mig and steel

right or left fender are really the best locations amongst the many compromises. Front trunk is my 3rd place in the list and rear trunk is a no-no as far as weight distribution goes.

worn
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 1 2011, 12:43 PM) *

QUOTE(worn @ Dec 1 2011, 12:37 PM) *

Doesn't fit. Wrong shape.
I've seen it used in a 914 twice, both times it was a absolute hack. icon8.gif

One car had it in the front trunk and the second car cut up the rear trunk and had it sticking out half way into the trunk.

If you don't want to fork out the cash for a stock or aftermarket 914 tank, just use one of them round racing tanks.

Please don't hack your 914 to pieces over an oil-tank!
sad.gif

PS: welcome.png

Actually, I wasn't thinking of changing the car, it was the tank I was thinking of welding. I have a tank and it looks like stainless - matches the one on my SC. I recognize the potential for this being a bad idea, but on the other hand the complexity of the tank appears to be largely in the linkage from the scavenger input to the oil filter console, so I thought perhaps it could be reshaped.

You are right, though. False economy most likely. But then in my youth I made my own gravel.

jmill
welcome.png

Another Wisconsin member. piratenanner.gif
brant
I don't think they are stainless
I think they are mild steel with a copper coating

maybe yours is newer than I'm familiar with
but the early 911 ones, and the 914/6 original ones aren't stainless and they do eventually rust out

fear of contaminating the oil tank and then washing that contamination into the motor was what stopped me and caused me to build one from aluminum. Aluminum doesn't leave the same little welding balls that a mig leaves

using a tig would be safer and if it is stainless you would need to anyways.

I always figured the drivers side was a compromise anyways
and on a car with a front relocated batter (race car) it made more sense to move it to the passenger side for weight distribution. If your making one and don't care about originality... that is always an option. The crossover oil lines for the driver side tank are really not ideal anyways.

brant
GeorgeRud
If you don't want to use a stock location 914-6 tank, I'd go for the round dry sump tank in the battery location (obviously with the battery relocated). Trying to fit a 911 tank is a hack job that will never look right.

No matter how you slice it, the two oil connections on the engine are on opposite sides of the engine, so the oil lines have to run pretty much the same distance either way.
brant
here is one I made
Dave_Darling
I've seen at least one that used a 911 tank in the stock Six tank location. Because the car had fender flares, the 911 tank sort of fit. Mostly. Kinda.

Leaked like an SOB though, and there were a "few" extra holes and some "delicate" hammer-work done to the side wall of the engine bay.

--DD
jcd914
I have wondered if a 964/993 tank could be mounted in the right side fender well ahead of the tire. That is where it is located on the 911 but filler and dip stick are in the engine comp connected via hose and tube.
Never had one of those tanks out to look at.

lower hose connection probably would line up with the long so the hose would have to go thru it.

Click to view attachment

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.