Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ball joints vs. full kit followup question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
afiniti
Thanks guys for all your advice so far. One more followup question:

Some are selling ball joint kits, some are selling just the ball joints themselves. Do I need to get new pins, lock plates, etc., or can I just get the ball joints and reuse the rest of the parts already on the car?

Is it a requirement to pick up new installation components, or can I reuse them assuming they are still in decent shape? Not many people sell them as kits, so I assumed I could get by with just picking up the ball joints themselves. Any advice from veterans who have run into this already?
914Mels
If your hardware is in good shape, other than replacing the cotter pin, I wouldn't bother buying all the rest. The kits may be marketed to folks with rust issues.
avidfanjpl
My preference is for all new. When you remove the old stuff, it typically gets dinged up.

I would not flinch at replacing all the stuff that comes off.

I did, and it was worth it to know it was all new and it looks better.

Be sure to get the right kit. In 72, they changed them right in the middle of the manufacturing year.

Good luck!

John
Eric_Shea
My preference would be get the new lock plates. Yes, you can reuse all of your stuff but I don't think it's that much difference.

Either way is fine actually... your choice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.