Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 number 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rgmrgm
couple of years ago i bought a 71 914 at an auction, ran badly, missing and sputtering, and leaked all over,so i let it sit. recently i decided that i would go through the engine but when i put it up on stands to try to locate the leaks i found that the leak was transmission oil. the small inspection plate on the back of the trans was leaking. one of the bolts was stripped i tried a slightly larger sae bolt and it snugged up nicely. (welded a nut onto a 17mm headed bolt to remove the fill and drain plugs) refilled the trans now no leak. looking at the underside of the engine all of the push rod tubes looked new and everything else was clean so i cranked it up and sprayed fuel injection cleaner into the intake revs came up and it now runs great with no missing. i am figuring this bone stock car with no rust must have had some engine work done to be so clean on the underside. I am going to put it in the road next week fill it with clean fuel and give it an italian tune up. i also had to replace several pieces of fuel line that were cracked and leaking. last three numbers of the vin are 914 hows that for cool. maybe i wont have to tear down the engine. Oil light does no come on at all and it is a little hard starting when cold and i have to use my foot to keep it running until it warms up a bit. but it really seem to run well.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rgmrgm @ Dec 2 2011, 04:19 PM) *
last three numbers of the vin are 914 hows that for cool

Too bad the first three digits aren't "914" ... biggrin.gif

PS: welcome.png
Tom_T
That is pretty cool!

Make sure you check all those fuel lines as they're notrious for leaking fuel lines causing engine/car fires.

Check the the brake lines/MC?calipers/system after sitting that long too!

And a cracked/leaking vacuum hose can make them idle bad,
... or maybe the cold start valve/5th injector is frozen/plugged?

welcome.png
EdwardBlume
Pretty cool...

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
EdwardBlume
Oh and...

welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png
rgalla9146
There's a Blutorange 6 that shows up at Hershey.
VIN ends with 914....... and of course starts with 914 too.
rgmrgm
took it up the interstate about 30mi rd trip. following problems, hard to start when cold perfect when warm, speedo works but is jumpy and not accurate 3000rpm 5th gear speedo reads 90mph, odometer and trip meter do not work, wheel shimmy about 50-60 mph (guessing) either flat spots or out of balance, no horn, steering is tight, trans shifts fine once i got used to it (my daily driver is an 83 sc), now i have some sorting out to do but this is my first 914 and is a kick in town, its all about the toys now I have air cooled vehicles with two, four and six cylinders

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
c12croft
Ok, what's an Italian tune up?
SirAndy
QUOTE(c12croft @ Dec 7 2011, 04:02 PM) *

Drive it hard ... driving.gif
Strudelwagon

Pedal to the metal highway run...blows all the cob webs out! w00t.gif
rgmrgm
QUOTE(Strudelwagon @ Dec 7 2011, 05:15 PM) *

Pedal to the metal highway run...blows all the cob webs out! w00t.gif

redline for most of the return half of the trip
silver74insocal
welcome.png crazy rear views dude!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.