Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car Movies
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
djm914-6
Not looking to take away from the American Graffiti thread, so I figured I'd start a new one. I'm looking to add to my video library and add some DVDs when I get a player. Good, bad or otherwise, I plan to own every car movie I can get my hands on.

What I have now:
Le Mans
Cannonball Run
Gumball Rally
Smokey and the Bandit
Victory by Design - Porsche

What's on my list so far:
American Graffiti
Two Lane Black Top
No Mans Land
Banzai Runner
The Wraith
other Cannonball Run sequils
other Smokey and the Bandit sequils
VBD - Ferrari

What am I missing (and other discussions)?
URY914
"Ronin", rent it at Blockbuster first.
anthony
I'd add:

Bullitt and any of the BMW Films short films staring Clive Owen as "The Driver". Does anyone know if you can get all the BMW films on DVD?
Lawrence
Gone in 60 Seconds, both the original and the remake.

Fast and the Furious
Part Pricer
My copy of Le Mans on DVD came in the mail today. I can't wait to put this one in the player and fire up the surround-sound.
airsix
If you're looking for movies in general with good chase scenes...

'Ronin' - I'll second the vote for that one. Excellent car scenes.
'Bullit' - Gotta have classic.
'The Peacemaker' has an excellent BMW's vs. MB chase turned demolition derby. Not bad.
'The Soldier' was an 80's spy movie with a 911 turbo chase ending in a (prearanged) jump across the Berlin wall. (Cooler than it sounds - occupants survive, car doesn't)

-Ben M.
Brad Roberts
Anybody ever see "Condorman" ??

It was a Disney spy flick that featured the bad guy with 8-10 black 911's running around like his "posse". Great chase scenes.. I was 7-8 years old when it came out. I have looked it up online and found some references to it... but havent seen it available for sale.

B
butch
"Rondevous" is five wicked minutes in Paris.

I have the BMW films on DVD; I got it from the dealer. I also have them on CD, off the web.

"Star" rocks!
kdfoust
XXX, calm down now, the one with Vin Diesel -- good opening chase scene.
Road Warrior, Mad Max for the post-apocolypse view of motoring and chasing.

Kevin
Mike D.
[B][SIZE=7]MAD MAX
airsix
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 29 2003, 10:15 AM)
Anybody ever see "Condorman" ??

It was a Disney spy flick that featured the bad guy with 8-10 black 911's running around like his "posse". Great chase scenes.. I was 7-8 years old when it came out. I have looked it up online and found some references to it... but havent seen it available for sale.

B

Ha ha! Brad, just like you I went to this movie at age 8 or 9. It was cool watching that string of black 911's manuevering in formation. I left the movie determined to find out what kind of car they were. Been interested in Porsches ever since. In fact, I STILL want a black 911 turbo with mirrored windows. wink.gif

-Ben M.

ps - the 911's were cool but don't go looking for the movie expecting to find a masterpiece. he he. I do hold some affection for it though - being my intro to Porsches and all.
L8Apex
Fast and Furious!

I'm sorry, but I admit that I enjoyed the movie. I was embarrassed to go watch it at the theaters and waited til it went on DVD.
Mike D.
I too remember Condorman...sick isn't it...

Anyway, I just thought of another Must Have car movie.

VANISHING POINT (1970)
Kowalski, the hero of the story, works for a car delivery service. He takes delivery of a supercharged 1970 Dodge Challenger to take from Colorado to Frisco, California. Shortly after pickup, he takes a bet to get the car there in less than 15 hours. After a few run-ins with motorcycle cops and highway patrol they start a chase to bring him into custody. Along the way, Kowalski is guided by Supersoul - a blind DJ with a police radio scanner. Throw in lots of chase scenes, gay hitchhikers, a naked woman riding a motorbike, lots of Mopar and you've got a great cult hit from the early 70's

-Mike D.
Chris H.
How about The Hollywood Knights?

It's an American Graffiti knock off I know...

It was only recently released on video.

If you know the movie you'll know this line:

"Laaaaawwwwrrrrreennncee, Laaawwwrreeennce of Araaaaaaaaaabbbbiaaaaa....he was an English guuuuuuuyyyyyy...he came to fight the Tuuuurrrkkiiishhh"...
Jeroen
"The Driver" mentioned earlier is a very cool movie! Put it on your list!

For a cool car chase scene... "Against all Odds" can't remember shit 'bout the movie, but it had a very cool scene in it with a 3.2 carrera and a Ferrari

Oh, and there's that french movie "Taxi"
Lots of wicked streetracing through Paris
(there's also a sequal, but I haven't seen that)

cheers,

Jeroen
Mike D.
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 29 2003, 11:16 AM)
How about The Hollywood Knights?

If you know the movie you'll know this line:

how about this one...
(sips punch)..."I've had this taste in my mouth before""yeah, Kind of has a little WANG to it"
hehehehe biggrin.gif
Mike D.
Damn, I could do this all day...

Bullit - Steve McQueen - Hes got that bad ass Mustang.

-M
Chris H.
[quote=Mike D.,Apr 29 2003, 11:23 AM] [ [/QUOTE]
how about this one...
(sips punch)..."I've had this taste in my mouth before""yeah, Kind of has a little WANG to it"
[/quote]

"Good though!"

Good one Mike....

That movie is a great "after party" flick. It's cheezy, but good. "Cannonball Runnish" if you will....

There was an early 80's movie I saw on HBO about a guy that worked at an import garage (Harry Hamlin) that had a tuned 356 he raced throughout the movie. Anyone recall? Is it one we've mentioned?
anthony
I've had Victory By Design saved on the Tivo for 2-3 months now. Why does Porsche hate the 914 so much? There is not a single mention of the 914 or the 914 racing wins. There is some footage of someone driving a 914 around the Targa Florio course but you never see an outside shot of the car nor is the car mentioned.

And to top it all off, there is basically a 10 minute advertisement for the Boxster at the end.
need4speed
Mad Max
Deathrace 2000
Why Johnny Cant Speed
The Duel (70's story about a travelling sales guy tangling with a psycho trucker out in the Mojave).
I second the Ronin nomination.

And there was this German movie back in the 80's, actually pretty stupid, but had some very cool photography in one scene where a guy is stressed out, and takes his 911 for a "brisk drive" and smashes it up. The movie was called "Killer Cars".

THX1138 has a chase scene with some CanAM style cars and police robots on motorcycles. Very reminicsent of Star Wars, in fact, by the same director. . .
Hawktel
The new Movie Italian game looks to have some interesting new Mini Cooper footage in it.

Also the Badboys 911, versus Cobra was pretty cool.

The Bond Flicks ussualy get some neat driving machines.

Transporter has some good action also.

Ed Hachtel
Chris H.
QUOTE(need4speed @ Apr 29 2003, 11:56 AM)
The Duel (70's story about a travelling sales guy tangling with a psycho trucker out in the Mojave).
director. . .

The Duel... GOOD ONE!! That was a young Bruce Dern as the Sales Guy. I think he was driving a Valiant or maybe a Dart.. that was on Speed a while back.
Mike D.
QUOTE(need4speed @ Apr 29 2003, 11:56 AM)
THX1138 has a chase scene with some CanAM style cars and police robots on motorcycles.  Very reminicsent of Star Wars, in fact, by the same director. . .

I recently saw this on cable late one night. Strange movie. Cross between Star Wars and Logans Run. HA!
George Lucas wrote and directed it. It was his first movie after college, and he adapted it from a short film he had done earlier. Robert Duvall played the character THX1138. I wonder if this is where Lucas got the name for his THX sound design for movies, hum?
-Mike D.

(told you I could do this all day, I should start work sometime)
Demick
Ahhh, yes Condorman. I also saw it when I was about 10. All I remember about the whole movie was those black 911's. They did a bunch of 'Rockfords' (fast in reverse then spin around and go forward). I would have never remembered the name of the movie if Brad hasn't mentioned it. I remember nothing else about the movie.

Demick
Pnambic
Come on now.

All these type 4 engines running around and not one mention of Herbie the Love Bug? blink.gif

lol2.gif AHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA lol2.gif
Jenny
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Apr 29 2003, 12:15 PM)
Robert Duvall played the character THX1138. I wonder if this is where Lucas got the name for his THX sound design for movies, hum?
-Mike D.

Yup. In every one of Lucas' movies, the number 1138 makes an appearance. Can't think of them off the top of my head, but in episode one there's a droid with 1138 on his back.

Fast and Furious does have some cool scenes, but the acting hurts! worse than Keanu Reeves.

Transporter has a great opening scene.

Jen
Mike D.
Oh, How about Blake Edwards "The Great Race", Tony Curtis, Peter Falk, Jack Lemon & Natlie Wood.

-M
(couldn't find a car shot)
Ferg
Said Jenny...but the acting hurts! worse than Keanu Reeves
laugh.gif
"whoa" and "we need guns, lots of them" Your saying these are bad lines wink.gif

It's not a car movie, but I still love Ferris Bueller and that Ferrari 250gt california replica...that slow motion lauch over the hill with the parking attendents is great. This list is helping me out, I have not seen hardly any of these. I'm making my list. Ferg.
Jeff Krieger
QUOTE(Paul Heery @ Apr 29 2003, 10:42 AM)
My copy of Le Mans on DVD came in the mail today. I can't wait to put this one in the player and fire up the surround-sound.

Sheep dip! I bought Le Mans about a month ago in VHS. Starting today, Amazon.ca has the DVD for sale for only Cdn. $19.54.
Jeff Krieger
What was the name of the movie where Lee Majors was driving across country in a Porsche 917 while Burgess Meredith was firing at him from an F-86 Sabre-jet? (The movie was set in the future and gasoline cars were banned or something like that? The flying scenes were great too).
Rouser
Some more "classics":Just a "short" list ...

IPB Image
Mike D.
QUOTE(Jeff Krieger @ Apr 29 2003, 01:02 PM)
What was the name of the movie where Lee Majors was driving across country in a Porsche 917 while Burgess Meredith was firing at him from an F-86 Sabre-jet? (The movie was set in the future and gasoline cars were banned or something like that? The flying scenes were great too).

The Last Chase
It is the future. Evil fascists have forced everyone to recycle and drive electric cars, and have oppressed all those poor people who want to drive Ferraris and smoke cigarettes. Hero Lee Majors, an ex-racing car driver, decides to make a statement by pulling out his old race car and driving cross-country at 150 mph (he siphons gas from old gas station pumps). Taking along a young reform school geek in a vaguely homosexual subplot, he drives for the Holy Land the Free State of California! Of course, the Powers That Be try to eliminate him by hiring Burgess Meredith to shoot him down with a fighter jet, which, too, are virtually extinct.

Mike D.
morgan
driving.gif The Italian Job Three mini's driving everywhere
Dad Roberts
You guys are on a roll here.....keep it goin. clap56.gif Mike D.......that was Dennis Weaver in Duel, from Gunsmoke and McCloud fame. Dern had many other parts in them old flicks. .....Dad driving.gif
L8Apex
What about Days of Thunder (same as Top Gun but with cars instead) and Driven (The most unrealistic car movie I have ever seen). :finger2:
Jeroen
I thought Stallone's "Driven" was an absolute waste of my time...
What a piece of cr@p!

cheers,

Jeroen
Jeff Krieger
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Apr 29 2003, 03:30 PM)
QUOTE(Jeff Krieger @ Apr 29 2003, 01:02 PM)

The Last Chase
It is the future. Evil fascists have forced everyone to recycle and drive electric cars, and have oppressed all those poor people who want to drive Ferraris and smoke cigarettes. Hero Lee Majors, an ex-racing car driver, decides to make a statement by pulling out his old race car and driving cross-country at 150 mph (he siphons gas from old gas station pumps). Taking along a young reform school geek in a vaguely homosexual subplot, he drives for the Holy Land the Free State of California! Of course, the Powers That Be try to eliminate him by hiring Burgess Meredith to shoot him down with a fighter jet, which, too, are virtually extinct.

Mike D.

Forcing everyone to recycle and drive electric cars sounds like "evil leftists" to me.
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Apr 29 2003, 05:15 PM)
I thought Stallone's "Driven" was an absolute waste of my time...
What a piece of cr@p!

cheers,

Jeroen

Couldn't agree more. Watched that with some racing buddies and we all had a good laugh at how stupid it was. Short sleeve nomex, for one, show cars (Champ cars) that start with a key and an on board starter. Or the scene where Stallone picks up the quarters off the track with his rear tires - SHEEESH rolleyes.gif
Jeroen
How 'bout that scene where a car launches into hyperspace and lands in a swamp in the next state...
Ofcourse Stallone finishes his lap and then is the first one to get to the crashed car and help the driver out
Where are the corner workers?
Or even better, on which track could something like that even happen?

cheers,

Jeroen
need4speed
re: THX 1138 - yup on the THX for the sound system. Especially watch the chase scene and compare it to the scene in Star Wars where the good guys are attacking the death star. Close up of hero in cockpit with helmet on, turbines whining, garbled voices on radio - cut to exterior shot of car/ship flying by - cut to control room with controllers, um, controlling - cut to close up of tactical computer display, beeping - cut to bad guys coming up behind (same damn sound effects for the motorcycles as the tie fighers), cut back to hero in cockpit with helmet, turbines whining, etc.

Hee - last chase, I remember that one. That was a 917? I guess my Porsche love affair started earlier than I thought!

Now I'm going to try to look up a copy of The Great Race - just to see Natalie Wood in that outfit.
mueba.gif

Final entry by me: The Grand Daddy Of All Car Movies: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
(Written by Ian Flemming - of James Bond fame. Who else would name a female character "Truly Scrumptious"?)
Jeroen
QUOTE(need4speed @ Apr 30 2003, 03:53 AM)
same damn sound effects for the motorcycles as the tie fighers

IIRC the basic sound of the Tie Fighters was recorded standing next to a highway guardrail as trucks passed by...

cheers,

Jeroen
boxstr
The Porsche Cab and Ferrari race on Sunset in Against All Odds, starred Jeff Bridges and Rachel Ward and James Woods. Great steamy scenes of the love kind.
Also a Movie about a Bonnie and Clyge type drive a Turbo 930 around New Zealand, ends with the car going off a cliff.
Another movie was a guy finds someone breakinginto his home, he pulls a gun and puts the bad guy in his 911 Porsche in the garage adn locks him in, the bad guy turns the tables and locks the good guy in the Porsche and, actually not much racing but it is pretty suspenseful.
CCLINSUNNYCAMP 914
Curvie Roadlover
Remember the movie "Harold and Maude"? A bizzare movie and not really a car movie but I loved the Jaguar hurse conversion. That was an awesome looking Jag!!
Jeff Krieger
need4speed (if that's your real name),

There were different versions of 917s. I think the
one in the movie was an open cockpit "Can Am" version. Others on the board will know.
L8Apex
You gotta love it when Jimmy Bly was doing 200mph + with out any eye protection. I'm sure he's blind now. And WTF kind of track is that in Germany? It's like 1 1/2 car width wide and I highly doubt anyone would get out of their cars in the middle of the race to save someone's ass.
djm914-6
Does anyone else remember a bad 'b' movie named It Takes Two? It's about a guy about to get married but need to buy a Countach clone first. Interesting car and chase seens, plus the headlights are nice. biggrin.gif
Mike T
Before Speedvision went in the Nascar dumpster it had a show called "Lost Drive-in" Hosted by Bruce Dern. Showed all sorts of obscure car based flicks. Anybody remember that? One of the good ones was "Johnny Dark" Cool old movie made in 1954 about a cross country car race. Had a lot of early kit cars like the Kellison, La Dawri, Glaspar and the "Woodhill Wildfire". Lots of driving.

Mike T
Gint
"Lost Drive-in" Hosted by Bruce Dern

Yes. I loved that program.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Curvie Roadlover @ Apr 29 2003, 05:30 PM)
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Apr 29 2003, 05:15 PM)
I thought Stallone's "Driven" was an absolute piece of cr@p!

the scene where Stallone picks up the quarters off the track with his rear tires - SHEEESH rolleyes.gif

That quarter trick was the only thing I liked about the movie. Hollywood movie making at it's best worst.

I was working for CART 101 here in Vegas at the time. I drove most of the cars that were used in the movie (when they were shipped back from Canada). They totaled one in the scene where he was chasing the guy under the parked semi trailers. happy11.gif
Jeffs9146
I still remember the car chase in The Seven-Ups (1973) I thought they lost there heads!! :gilloutine:

Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.