Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jack stand blocks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
I didn't want to hijack the thread that this came from so I thought I'd start another one.

Hi,
I like the blocks under the jack stands. How do you get the car high enough to get it on the stands that high? Will a floor jack get it that high?
Cheers, Elliot

My floor jack extends to 22" and I also add a 4" x 4" under the engine cross bar. I jack it up ass first, than the front. Not side-to-side as I think it is a little more stable front to rear.

Here is a better picture of the jack stand blocks. They are made from two 2" x 12" with 2" x 4"'s standing on thier side between the 2" x 12". I added the handles because, well, why do you think I added the handles?
seanery
is the middle solid or hollow?
JeffBowlsby
My floor jack extends to 22"

We are really disappointed Paul....we thought it was so light you just picked it up bare handed.... laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
wow. thats cool. wink.gif
URY914
"is the middle solid or hollow?"
The center is hollow. I could have used 2" x 6"s.

"We are really disappointed Paul....we thought it was so light you just picked it up bare handed...."
I have to be careful when using the jack. If I pump the handle to fast, the car flys up and hits the ceiling of the garage. cool_shades.gif

"wow. thats cool."
Very low tech. Made from scrap wood after a project.

Paul
Elliot_Cannon
Thanks for the reply Paul. Nice idea. How about drilling some holes in the wood to make them lighter? LOL
Cheers, Elliot
URY914
Thier made from pressure treated balsa wood. w00t.gif

Paul
Joe Ricard
I really like the rolling boxes that I have seen here before. Them boxes you made are plenty strong even for out heavy 1950 lb cars.
machina
QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 14 2004, 10:52 PM)
I didn't want to hijack the thread that this came from so I thought I'd start another one.

I'll hijack it then,

Picked up one of these jacks at PEP boys on sale.

The proud owner in the picture has the motor/tranny up on the jack but the rear support (red arrow) is always in that elevated position.

So what is the procedure? Jack up the motor only and then attach the tranny? If you do that then isn't it just an elevated platform?

Any thought?

dr
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 15 2004, 07:15 AM)
Thier made from pressure treated balsa wood. w00t.gif

Paul

You should fill the insides with helium and then you could use the handles to attach strings connected to some bolts anchored into the floor to keep them from floating away.
URY914
Couldn't you rotate the motor/tranny 90 degrees and than lower it while supporting the tranny?

Paul
machina
QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 15 2004, 09:10 AM)
Couldn't you rotate the motor/tranny 90 degrees and than lower it while supporting the tranny?

Paul

that is a good idea, but I don't know for sure, never tried it.

dr
URY914
You should fill the insides with helium and then you could use the handles to attach strings connected to some bolts anchored into the floor to keep them from floating away.

Now that is gooooooooood thinkin'
I could use the helium that I have in the tires and in the roll bar.
Thanks,

Paul
URY914
I bought this tranny lift at Harbor Frieght a few months ago and haven't used it yet.

It cost $40 on sale. Will lift from 8" to 22" and lift 450 pounds. And the top pivots.

Another fine quality product from China.

Paul
URY914
I can make some kind of a jig to fit the bottom of the engine and to fit around my tuna can. And use the floor jack under the tranny. It has a socket fitting for a racket handle and works like a screw jack.

Simple. biggrin.gif

Doubt if it will hold a -6. Those pigs weight over 450.

Paul
machina
QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 15 2004, 09:33 AM)
Paul

I love this "quality" hardware from china.

Especially the fresh smell of wet paint when you open the box.

dr
J P Stein
I call this pic "Pig on a lift".
Makes loading/removing the engine/trans unit a piece of cake.

This particular pig makes 200+ hp. Eat your hearts out all you 4 pooper owners laugh.gif
My son and I lifed this long block onto an engine stand. I must be stronger than I thought rolleyes.gif
J P Stein
Boxes with casters.....we gots those.
I hate jackstands......and I have to get 34 inches under the rear trunk bulkhead to remove/load the lump.
Stable is gud.
nebreitling
i love those boxes, jp -- but how do you get the car up there? (and down!)
J P Stein
I have a cheepo floor jack with 18" of lift.
I jack the car up as far as I can, then block it.
Drop the jack down and put blocks on the jack plate.
Up we go again. Usually takes me bout 30 minutes doing it alone. I *can* roll the car around by myself once on the
boxes.....but it's much easier/safer with another guy's help.

A nice car lift would be gud, but that's money better(?) spent on the car. biggrin.gif

The RV lift requires a similar routine. It is stable as all get out. I have (literally) dropped a motor once or twice.....but not since I got the RV lift.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.