Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: euro heads/pistons on us car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gearren
I was looking on preformance products for new pistons and heads and I saw that they had the euro pistons/heads which are rated at more horse power, so will the euro pistons/heads fit on my 73 2.0 us 914, and if so do I have to make any adjustments or upgrades to accomidate the euro pistons.
seanery
not heads right? Cylinders?

You should be fine. They have a small bump in compression. Are you carbed or injected?
ThinAir
The switch to "Euro" pistons and cylinders is a common upgrade. I'm doing it the the 73 2.0L engine that I'm overhauling right now. This style piston has a "flat" top rather than the "dished" top of the stock piston. The result is a slightly higher compression ratio, but not enough that you need to change anything else on the engine.

I've never heard of "Euro" style heads.
Gearren
I'am carbed, and yea they are just pistons not heads.
seanery
being carbed, you can get a nice cam, like a web 494 (that's what I have) and get some nice torque for street driving. Or you could get more of hp cam, but on the street the 494 is more usable IMHO.

That is a nice combo (Euro P/C + webcam 494 + Weber 40s)
thomasotten
Just as a point of caution, I have found Performance Products to be the bigest rip off there is, when you compare pricing. Check this out: I was looking at 914/6 heat exchangers, they want $2,082.95/pair. Tweeks has the same thing for $1,599.99. What a rip! alfred.gif

What are they asking for these pistons?
Gearren
where is the best place to get a webcam 494.
Brad Roberts
Buy direct from WebCam.

B
Gearren
What are are good brand of euro pistons to get and where.
seanery
Performance isn't a rip off. First of all, they will give you PCA discount if your a member wink.gif wink.gif . Also, they usually have the stuff in stock. When I lived in LA, we'd go up there a couple times a month.

There will probably be lower prices elsewhere, however.
newdeal2
QUOTE(Gearren @ Aug 15 2004, 02:13 PM)
where is the best place to get a webcam 494.

I can get you a webcam. Contact me at pwingfield1@tampabay.rr.com

Peter
newdeal2
BTW...you will also need new lifters that match the Webcam. Figure retail at $158.00 for the cam and $140.00 for the lifters.
seanery
yup, need the lifters, too.
I found them online for $118.
Cam was cheaper, too $147.

Carlos gave me the link to this place. I looked everywhere and couldn't find a better price.
Import Performance Parts - Webcam Lifters
Import Performance Parts - WebCams
ThinAir
Before you go buying lifters, you might want to search this site for topics about lifters. There has been a real problem in recent months with the quality of lifters and the only thing you can really trust is ceramics from LN Engineering or the new ones that Jake Raby is working on. I've experienced what happens when you have lifter problems. A flat cam is no fun!
anthony
Why go with Euro pistons when you can go for 96mm cylinders/pistons and end up with a 2056 engine?
rhodyguy
for about the same $$ you can step up to forged 96mm pistons and cyl from aircooled.net.

kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.