Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IS THIS A REAL LE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
Mike Fitton
Check this 914 Bumble Bee for sale on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-Porsch...=item35b78b9b09

I know vin# and paint code say it is possible but notice:
1) Sail panels coverd in vinyl with chrome trim
2) Rear 914-2.0 badge not in black plastic
3) rear lenses are euro version not re/white USA.

What do you guys think!
JRust
All those changes could have been made. The only way to know for sure is a COA. Or the original sales slip. If he doesn't have those I would not consider the possibility of it being an LE into your price. Figure it is a regular 914 & if your comfortable wiht the price go for it smile.gif
JRust
Crap just opened it & he says he has a COA. I'd say it is biggrin.gif
carr914
It might be a LE, but the Seller has been hitting the Crack Pipe a few times too many.

1. Doesn't run
2. Big Dent
3. Ripped up Interior
4. Rusted Battery Tray - Good chance there is a lot more Rust
5. Ratty Engine Compartment

Basically a 914 that needs to be restored, but at a Cost of $17k - Get Real

No Offense to LE Lovers, but I have never gotten the LE thing. A gussied-up 74 is all I have ever seen. And I can't stand the "more Rare than a 914-6". It's a 74 914 with an Ugly Paint Job that anybody could duplicate. You can't duplicate a Real 914-6.
mepstein
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 6 2011, 05:47 PM) *

It might be a LE, but the Seller has been hitting the Crack Pipe a few times too many.

1. Doesn't run
2. Big Dent
3. Ripped up Interior

No Offense to LE Lovers, but I have never gotten the LE thing. A gussied-up 74 is all I have ever seen. And I can't stand the "more Rare than a 914-6". It's a 74 914 with an Ugly Paint Job that anybody could duplicate. You can't duplicate a Real 914-6.

agree.gif Another member said it best. "Rare doesn't always mean valuable"
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Dec 6 2011, 03:45 PM) *

2) Rear 914-2.0 badge not in black plastic

Not all LE's came in black plastic- mine has been & always will be in metal. I am the original owner & have photographic proof of this which I have posted before. I have also informed Jeff B. of this as well.
ezbngreen914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 6 2011, 04:47 PM) *

1. Doesn't run
2. Big Dent
3. Ripped up Interior

"4. Rusted Battery Tray - Good chance there is a lot more Rust"
especially if you spray it down with the water hose to make it look more shiny every time you take photos of it.
ezbngreen914
the picture of the battery looks scary. barf.gif
xsJerry
Yah, I wanted ask that dude if he was on crack as well. My question is: What is the value of Bumble Bee if it doesn't have any of the atributes of one. All I see is a 2.0 in crappy condition for $17K.
914werke
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 6 2011, 02:47 PM) *

1. Doesn't run
2. Big Dent
3. Ripped up Interior

WTF.gif TC it seems its you who needs to step away from the pipe? screwy.gif
Just as you are describing the possibility to duplicate an actual LE its equally possible to duplicate a -6, in fact its done ALL THE TIME. chair.gif
If its not your cup of tea fine, but give the snobbery a rest. dry.gif
pete000
Yikes !

I bet the internet has fogged this owners sense of value for this car.... screwy.gif
carr914
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Dec 6 2011, 10:04 PM) *

1. Doesn't run
2. Big Dent
3. Ripped up Interior

Just as you are describing the possibility to duplicate an actual LE its equally possible to duplicate a -6, in fact its done ALL THE TIME. chair.gif

First of all, I said No Offense to LE Lovers. I was not trying to be a Snob, just voicing my opinion. I just hate the "rarer than a -6". I know people pay a premium for them, but I just don't get it.

The LE is just a Paint Job without Vinyl & a lot of options. A lot of LE's were painted to undo the LE scheme. Nobody takes a 914-6 & makes a 4.

Yes, you can make a 914-6 Conversion ( I own one & had a few others), but you can't truly duplicate one. Most importantly the VIN, but also the little details.

I had my Flame Suit on, sorry if I upset LE owners out there

IronHillRestorations
"The car looks much better in the pictures than it does in person....The pictures were taken right after I washed the car"

I think he meant to say it looks shiney because he kept spraying it down so it looked shiney for the pics.

I hope he gets the $17k! That makes my non-op 6 worth what, $25k?
911cab84
QUOTE(9146986 @ Dec 7 2011, 06:58 AM) *

"The car looks much better in the pictures than it does in person....The pictures were taken right after I washed the car"

I think he meant to say it looks shiney because he kept spraying it down so it looked shiney for the pics.

I hope he gets the $17k! That makes my non-op 6 worth what, $25k?

any bids at all lol-2.gif

c'mon, 17.000$, seriously???
PBC914
Pain code from the door indicates L041 (LE).
Nicky
It always irks me when they say "No reserve auction!!!!" and then have a starting bid of $10,000. Wouldn't $10,000 then be the reserve, if he even let it sell for that and doesn't bid it up himself? Ebay is funny sometimes.
billh1963
QUOTE(Nicky @ Dec 7 2011, 03:24 PM) *

It always irks me when they say "No reserve auction!!!!" and then have a starting bid of $10,000. Wouldn't $10,000 then be the reserve, if he even let it sell for that and doesn't bid it up himself? Ebay is funny sometimes.

I disagree with you on that point. No reserve is just that...the starting bid is your starting point and the final bid takes it. Christie's and other auction houses don't start at $1.00 or $0.01......why should ebay?

He does not have a reserve. There is nothing incorrect with his statement.
Nicky
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 7 2011, 03:55 PM) *

I disagree with you on that point. No reserve is just that...the starting bid is your starting point and the final bid takes it. Christie's and other auction houses don't start at $1.00 or $0.01......why should ebay?

He does not have a reserve. There is nothing incorrect with his statement.

I'm pretty sure auction houses open a no reserve auction item at some starting bid, and if no one bids immediately at that price they move down in starting bid. If they open at 10k and no one bids they will move down until someone bids, they won't say "well the starting bid wasn't met, no sale." That is however what happens on ebay all the time.

On Ebay it always seems that the cars shouting no reserve are the ones with some exorbitant buy it now and a starting bid that also seems higher than the car is worth to begin with. Then it sits with no bids at that high price and it isn't sold. Hence that first starting bid is the reserve since you can't bid less than that.

"No-reserve auction (NR), also known as an absolute auction, is an auction in which the item for sale will be sold regardless of price" Will that car sell for less than 10k, if you can't even bid less than 10k?
budk
QUOTE(PBC914 @ Dec 7 2011, 02:53 PM) *

Pain code from the door indicates L041 (LE).

PAIN code indeed! popcorn[1].gif
tscrihfield
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 7 2011, 03:29 AM) *

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Dec 6 2011, 10:04 PM) *

1. Doesn't run
2. Big Dent
3. Ripped up Interior

First of all, I said No Offense to LE Lovers. I was not trying to be a Snob, just voicing my opinion. I just hate the "rarer than a -6". I know people pay a premium for them, but I just don't get it.

The LE is just a Paint Job without Vinyl & a lot of options. A lot of LE's were painted to undo the LE scheme. Nobody takes a 914-6 & makes a 4.

Yes, you can make a 914-6 Conversion ( I own one & had a few others), but you can't truly duplicate one. Most importantly the VIN, but also the little details.

I had my Flame Suit on, sorry if I upset LE owners out there

Hate to take sides or "gang up" but agree.gif with TC on this one. After going through a couple of real -6 cars and seeing how people foam out the mouth over them. Nothing against an LE because I've seen the creamies and bumblebees get their attention at shows, but the six cars will do something the LE cars won't and that is hold a value. The thing is people like that Porsche name on the engine rather than VW. To most the 914 is just a snazzy VW until they see a Porsche six hanging under it. I hope for all of stakes in this that the value of these cars get better but That guy is smoking a huge pipe to ask -6 prices for an LE.
JRust
QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Jan 6 2012, 08:01 PM) *

Hate to take sides or "gang up" but agree.gif with TC on this one. After going through a couple of real -6 cars and seeing how people foam out the mouth over them. Nothing against an LE because I've seen the creamies and bumblebees get their attention at shows, but the six cars will do something the LE cars won't and that is hold a value. The thing is people like that Porsche name on the engine rather than VW. To most the 914 is just a snazzy VW until they see a Porsche six hanging under it. I hope for all of stakes in this that the value of these cars get better but That guy is smoking a huge pipe to ask -6 prices for an LE.

I disagree with them not holding their value. They are a rare 914 & will hold their value because of that. I get some people not loving LE's. I personally don't love the color of the BB. I love creamsicle914.jpg though. Will they ever be as valuable as a stock six? In the same condition? Hell no! They will be more valuable than any stock 2.0 in the same condition. Maybe the LE isn't your cup of tea. Hey that's cool but they certainly have their place in teener history creamsicle914.jpg
PeeGreen 914
Being mixed in a family of people who make their money selling collector cars I'd have to say both side are fighting for their "cup o tea". Look at the facts of collecting and you will see both will be sought after and both the hold value. They have numbers, COAs, and other aspect that collectors dig. They also both have things collectors shy away from.

Look through car auctions through the past 20 years and you will see some of the cars that have fetched the most were not always the most rare or the top dog when they were released. There was just something quircky about the car that people sought after. BBoth the 6 and the LE have that.
carr914
To clarify my Point, I love 914s and while not an admirer of the LE's there is nothing wrong with them. They have their following and thus their $ Value seem to be strong.

The Problem I have is the phrase "they are Rarer than a 914-6" which could be implied that they are something they are not. While they may be at the Top of the food chain of 914-4s, the 914-6 is sought after because it is the top of the line of production cars. Of course then you have the GT M471s, 916, the Racing GTs and the 914-8s
sixaddict
popcorn[1].gif
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 7 2012, 01:48 AM) *

To clarify my Point, I love 914s and while not an admirer of the LE's there is nothing wrong with them. They have their following and thus their $ Value seem to be strong.

The Problem I have is the phrase "they are Rarer than a 914-6" which could be implied that they are something they are not. While they may be at the Top of the food chain of 914-4s, the 914-6 is sought after because it is the top of the line of production cars. Of course then you have the GT M471s, 916, the Racing GTs and the 914-8s

Nicky
This car didn't sell the first time at "no reserve". Why is this even in the classifieds anyway?
JeffBowlsby
Its just a numerically factual statement TC, nothing more should be inferred from it. 1000 LE's produced makes them 3x more rare than the 3318 914/6's produced by definition. 11 916's makes them 100x more rare than the 1000 LE's.

No one is suggesting that the 914/6 is not a great car, or that a 914/6 is not more valuable or more sought after, those are all true statements.

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?show...40&start=40

We love you man.... smile.gif

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 7 2012, 01:48 AM) *

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.