Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Couple quick questions: fog light covers & horn buttons
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
my wife hates my car
Just curious, did 914's come with a horn button that had a painted Porsche logo? I have had about 18 of these cars, and 3 have had this button. The first I thought some ding dong painted it, so i scrubbed it off. confused24.gif The next I sold on ebay, & made a mortgage payment. The third is in my sweetheart (stella) & is not for sale. I have noticed they all come out of 1970-71 cars. Next question, fog light grills. Every fog light grill I see has a big round hole in them for the light. I am tearing apart a 1970, (for parts of course) & the grills are full across. I kinda like that look & will probobly keep them for Stella. They are orange on the backside, but someone has painted the front side black. What is the reason behind the different grills? Thanks for you info. Hank
flipb
Don't know about the horn buttons, but the different horn grills are for cars that had fog lights vs. those without foglights.
my wife hates my car
QUOTE(flipb @ Dec 6 2011, 10:11 PM) *

Don't know about the horn buttons, but the different horn grills are for cars that had fog lights vs. those without foglights.

Thanks Flip, that makes sense. Guess I always thought they always came with fog lights standard.
dlee6204
As for the grills... its whether or not the car had foglights. If it didn't than the grills were full accross and often called "horn grills"
my wife hates my car
QUOTE(my wife hates my car @ Dec 6 2011, 10:14 PM) *

QUOTE(flipb @ Dec 6 2011, 10:11 PM) *

Thanks Flip, that makes sense. Guess I always thought they always came with fog lights standard.

Oh ya, guess you need to know that when I get these things.........sometimes they have no dash.......or the bumpers in the trunk....or under a tree..........or in a totally other car! ha ha.I love 914's.
Tom_T
Yup, the others got you the skinny on fog light & non-fog grilss, which came in 2 flavors BTW - Chrome & painted, & the early ones up to about 71 were actual metal, while later ones were plastic or plasti-chrome.

Foglights were either a stand-alone option, or added as part of the Appearance Group of options: chrome bumpers, sail/rollbar vinyl & chrome trim, alloy wheels - types depended on MY/model & factory/dealer/buyer selection (Pedrini, Mahle 4 & 5 Lug Gas Burners, Fuchs 5 spoke/lug & 2-Liter 4 Lug), dual horns, loop pile carpet, leather covered steering wheel & shifter boot, center console/gauges & hinged center cushion/stowage box 73-76 MYs or removable center cushion & storage tray 70-72 MYs.

As for the "butterfly" horn buttons - they we never painted out of the factory AFAIK - except maybe some "specials" (e.g.: the 2 factory 914-8 & 916 IIRC). The USA 914s had the Porsche crest, whereas the Euro ones had a Wolfsburg VW crestbeing "VW-Porsches" or "Vo-Pos" as they called them.

You'll find some good info at these two 914 websites:
p914.com
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/
http://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.