Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust tip question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
monkeyboy
I have a 72 that originally came with a 1.7. It was blown up years ago. I was sold a 2.0 with the car with a full 2.0 exhaust.

I was able to get everything bolted in and running finally, but it looks like the valance I have does not fit with the exhaust. The tip is about 2 or three inches off of the notch in the valance. The valance I have is notched, not the one with the hole for the exhaust.

Was there an early and a late notched valance, or is my muffler off?
nathansnathan
You could just chop off the tailpipe and re-weld with a section taken out. I bought a 1.7 tailpipe on thesamba classifieds and it is too long to go through my snowplow valence. Looking at the original tailpipe that was on there, It looks like that's what the factory did - the welds seem too nice to have been done at a shop.
monkeyboy
The muffler is shot. Rusted through in a few places and not really worth fixing for me.

I was looking at buying an exhaust, and I was hoping I wouldn't have to modify it.

If it doesn't fit, it goes under the knife!
Tom_T
It sounds like a non-stock muffler/tailpipe, but hard to tell without a pic of what you're talking about.

There were only 2 OE rear valances - the early porthole type & the later notched type (excluding 916s & other "specials").
monkeyboy
The muffler was hacked up and rusted to death when I got it. It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't stock, or was pieced back together.

It will be replaced soon.

Thanks for the help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.